Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Serf

Default Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Yikes! We don't have many snakes where I live in Arizona but I have to wear gloves when working on the WFO because there seems to be a scorpion under anything I leave on the ground.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyungle View Post
Yikes! We don't have many snakes where I live in Arizona but I have to wear gloves when working on the WFO because there seems to be a scorpion under anything I leave on the ground.
I feel blessed the scariest thing that crawls out from under my oven is an. Occasional chipmunk
Old 09-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
I feel blessed the scariest thing that crawls out from under my oven is an. Occasional chipmunk
That was me in CT, but down here in SC there are spiders everywhere. We had the house and shed sprayed, but last week I was doing the stone flip, checking for creepy crawlies, and saw a couple huge black widows. I won't be storing any wood or anything in the vault....never planned to, but those widows sealed the deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 09-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes that is why mine is small and isolated from the rest of the structure. Too many bugs.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Apprentice

Got the vent and outer arch up today. Feel pretty good about it.

First off I want to say how much I like the Heat Stop 50 Mortar. I see photos of some of you guys having to support your dome bricks with all kinds of stilts and contraptions, waiting a long time before moving on. I never had to wait more that a few minutes before I could remove support or move on to the next brick. This stuff sets up quick if I mix it dry OR I can spray it down wetter if I want more slip.
Anyway, just wanted to run a couple things by. Do you think this is enough vent area to draw up into my 8" SSDW pipe? Its 4.5" x 12" free and clear.
Also I wish I had taken the outer arch apex a bit lower than I did, just for aesthetics. I wanted a reveal of course but I wanted to be able to get a door in and out without a struggle. See any issue here?

42" build in Central Texas-20130923_153430.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-20130923_152919.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-20130923_152844.jpg

42" build in Central Texas-20130923_152812.jpg

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Last edited by GarnerAC; 09-24-2013 at 05:13 AM. Reason: "HEAT Stop", not Fire Stop!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That looks great. The flue should be plenty big. IIRC, the area of the 8" pipe is about 50" and your opening is 54" so it should flow just fine.

As far as creepy crawlies go - we're pretty good up here except for the hobo spiders that like to hide in the woodpile.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post

First off I want to say how much I like the Firestop 50 Mortar. I see photos of some of you guys having to support your dome bricks with all kinds of stilts and contraptions, waiting a long time before moving on. I never had to wait more that a few minutes before I could remove support or move on to the next brick. This stuff sets up quick if I mix it dry OR I can spray it down wetter if I want more slip.
Anyway, just wanted to run a couple things bky. Do you think this is enough vent area to draw up into my 8" SSDW pipe? Its 4.5" x 12" free and clear.
Also I wish I had taken the outer arch apex a bit lower than I did, just for aesthetics. I wanted a reveal of course but I wanted to be able to get a door in and out without a struggle. See any issue here?

Attachment 39111

Attachment 39112

Attachment 39113

Attachment 39114
Gudday
It's good to hear some positive and detailed comments on how to work with heatstop mortar. I take inboard your comment on working times and the mist of water to give you slip.
You can't go wrong with an 8 in chimney. These ovens breath quite well without, but adding a chimney saves on eyebrows so it must be big enough like yours to work at keeping the smoke and heat away
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-24-2013, 05:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post

First off I want to say how much I like the Firestop 50 Mortar. I see photos of some of you guys having to support your dome bricks with all kinds of stilts and contraptions, waiting a long time before moving on. I never had to wait more that a few minutes before I could remove support or move on to the next brick. This stuff sets up quick if I mix it dry OR I can spray it down wetter if I want more slip.
Anyway, just wanted to run a couple things by. Do you think this is enough vent area to draw up into my 8" SSDW pipe? Its 4.5" x 12" free and clear.
I have built four ovens using HS 50 and my current one and a bunch of historic beehive ovens with fire clay mortar. The heat stop does grab a bit faster, but it's pricey. I don't use forms for building the dome until the last 3 courses, then it is a quarter form that freely moves. If you don't saturate the brick, you won't have falling brick....even the fire clay mortar grabs very well.

As far as your vent opening, it should be fine, although I would have went a bit wider for a 42". And with your flared entry, you should have no problems removing or placing your door...you might want to make it a shade smaller ( 1/4") than your reveal so it doesn't catch.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 09-24-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: reword
Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Apprentice

Very Cool website Stonecutter! Beautiful Veneer on the Fireplace. Ive always loved the Mayan and Machu Picchu styles

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Last edited by GarnerAC; 09-24-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Laborer

Very nice looking oven so far, wish i'd live in a warmer climate right now. Weather has dramatically changed to colder degrees.