Old 04-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" or 48" internal that is the question

I'm with dmun (even though I did a full soldier course-at and angle). If you are going to plan it out well and do the squished elipse dome, (not a perfect half circle) then you could avoid the soldier course and just use half bricks. But I kinda think that works best on the larger diameter ovens and in the smaller the diameter oven. In a smaller oven, maybe regular soldiers are good to get height at the sides for taller stuff you cook. Just something to think about olddude. All these ovens have turned out about perfect and you could do either since the soldiers are the "norm" but others have done with just the 1/2 bricks on the sides. I'll try and check out who's done that lately.

PS: ALICE, regarding your question a few posts earlier: look at your profile and I put a message there. I suggested you start a thread of your own (like "Alices wfo") in the 'Pompeii Oven Construction" area. Click on "thread starter" and you'll get on official thread to post pics and we can follow along. I've already got some pointers on your picture you posted but put it in your own thread and everyone can jump in and help. Can't wait to talk you there! This oven is going to be fun ...Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" or 48" internal that is the question

For me the full soldier course gave me room around the edges and somewhat simplified the opening into the dome. The connection of the hemisphere and the entry arch was one of the bears of the build. The arch cuts would have been much easier with a 14 inch saw. The complexity of these arch bricks is that I wanted them trimmed both sides to create the clipped pie shape that forms the arch and the 10 inch HF only goes 3.5 inches of the needed 4.5 inch deep cut.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 04-08-2010 at 01:33 PM.