Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by banhxeo76 View Post
Little bit more progress over the weekend. The mock up inner arch looks better than I had anticipated. I just hope that mortar up inner arch will look just as good as the mock up after I have done mortar them together. Hopefully, I can mortar some time brick this week.

I have to clean up all the tapered bricks before I can mortar them. If I don't clean them brick, the mortar won't stick on the brick as well as it should because the dust on the brick will act as released agent which is a bad thing. I hate cleaning but it is necessary.
Hi there
Any chance you can let me know the brick dimensions of the bricks in the arch in the third photo? If not, how do you work out what dimensions are required? There seems to be a standard size for arches out there, but I suspect yours are custom sizes.
Cheers
JT
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab49 View Post
Hi there
Any chance you can let me know the brick dimensions of the bricks in the arch in the third photo? If not, how do you work out what dimensions are required? There seems to be a standard size for arches out there, but I suspect yours are custom sizes.
Cheers
JT
JT,

You are correct that my inner arch is custom size for my design. I don't mind sharing my plan because I stole so much ideas from this forum. Please see attached photo for the measurement and I hope that it will be helpful.

Just a note, as you can see in the photo, brick 6 & 7 were taper more than the other bricks to make it fit but I just can't recall the exact measurement. Let me know if you need anything else or futher explanation.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0410b.jpg  

Tu Dat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Last edited by banhxeo76; 03-06-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very interesting, your arch is the same dimensions (height/width) I am planning for my 39" build

do you happen to recall what was the angle of the triangular bricks at the corners?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Very interesting, your arch is the same dimensions (height/width) I am planning for my 39" build

do you happen to recall what was the angle of the triangular bricks at the corners?
Just cut and the bottom one is for the left side. The flip the top one and turn it around and you got one for the right side. Just very simple.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO in the New Orleans-20060307085120998_0001.jpg  

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Apprentice

I finished with the vent/chimney. No more cutting and mortaring firebrick for this WFO.

Now, I need to chop my left arm off for the duravent chimney pipe.

Next is to add 2.5" of concrete cladding with reinforcement mesh for more therma mass. Hopefully, I get that done on this Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0595.jpg   40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0596.jpg   40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0598.jpg   40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0602.jpg   40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0600.jpg  

videts38 likes this.

Tu Dat

Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Apprentice

Don't spend too much time inside of your WFO because you could end up with this!!!
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0588.jpg   40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0589.jpg   40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0591.jpg  

Tu Dat

Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Apprentice

Apparently, my WFO has been unfaithful to me. . While I was out of town a few weeks ago, I came back and saw this living thing inside of my WFO and it looks nothing like me.

In spirit of bountygate (Saints' bounty problem), I will award a significant of money(or bread) to whomever can find the father of this living thing in my WFO.

I think a seed which had fall from my neighbor's maple tree fell between the cooking floor and the wall of dorm back when there was still an opening in the dorm.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0574.jpg  

Tu Dat

Last edited by banhxeo76; 02-14-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey! my DuraVent did NOT come with any kids. Maybe I paid less? I dunno.

I really like your solution to closing up the vent opening to set the duravent anchor plate. And I can appreciate the way you cut and placed the bricks over the top of the plate with the gap for the vent. It's good you have pictures since some of our best work is forever covered over .

I like your gentle outer arch but I see you have the more traditional shape on the inner arch. That was a good choice: you get the height you need for putting in the taller stuff (ie Turkeys, LaCreset Pots etc) but the elegance of larger "elipse" opening.

Good job TD; I take you are going to build an enclosure with a roof on it?

Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
Hey! my DuraVent did NOT come with any kids. Maybe I paid less? I dunno.

Good job TD; I take you are going to build an enclosure with a roof on it?

Cheers, Dino
Ohh SNAP! Dino Pizza is on my thread now and that is pretty awesome! Your thread is my go to reference for everything for this project. I just want to thank so much for the thread of your WFO build because I stoled so much idea from you. "Quaker Hat", is an awesome idea because it provide so much stable to the vent/outer arch because it is holding the vent together so well. Dude, you are awesome and any input from you is well appreciated!

You can have my kids if you want them.

Yes, I am planning to build an enclosure with a roof on top of my WFO. However, enclosure will have to wait because I just can't wait to use my WFO first.

Tu Dat

Last edited by banhxeo76; 06-13-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm glad to know my "quaker hat" design is being used and actually got mentioned in someones post other than mine. And thanks for the complimentary words my thread and build.

It's weird how much money that duravent costs but it gave me great piece of mind to know you can have wood within inches of it and be safe. I used steel studs but then had to put roofing plywood over the top so I could nail in the slate. I just kept the ply-wood 1" from the duravent pipe and stuffed some left over oven insulation in that space.

What's your oven-curing method going to be for drying it out?

thanks again, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread