Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 03:40 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

That is great Tu
You have discovered the lifecycle of the WFO - first it produces wonderful kids - almost full grown - later some green aliens - and later wonderful pizza, and later still all other foods - now I can't wait. Is there life with the WFO after the building?
Now I am envious
Aidan
Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

WoW! Looking good Tu....You seem to have a flare for cooking, those dishes after pizza look real creative and beg to be tasted

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well done on the oven, door and food!

Chris
Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tu,
Nicely done, Tu! Love your oven and envious of your cooking expertise. There's always time to complete your enclosure.... after your cooking schedule slows down a bit. Bon apetit!
John
Old 03-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Peasant

Very nice build, great post on your WFO
Old 04-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congratulations Tu on a great 1st wfo cooking experience. I'm impressed with ANYONE who bakes whole fish in the wfo for their 1st time.

The picture of the green artichokes between the glowing red embers is quite nice. Oh...I bet it tasted good too.

Regarding the enclosure: I had my summer swim/pizza party (35 people) when my oven still just had steel studs on the sides and some roof plywood cut around the vent opening (all the white dome insulation and crossing wires exposed) and I wanted everyone to appreciate all the work I did before I covered it up . Then a handful of people who came the next year thought that WAS my finished oven ! But, you can only go so far with blue tarp before weather turns again.

Thanks for sharing the nice food pics.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
Well done TU,
"If this is what you produced with your first try I can't wait to see what you can produce after several more tries"
Tu,
I second Karangi Dude. New Orleans is the food mecca as for as I'm conserned. People who live and frequent "New Awlins" are spoiled to having the choice of muti-national quisine to choose from as well as that can be found only there.

I know your are enjoying the cooking already, I'm jealous of that for sure, but I recomend that you get a secure cover over it: Hurricane season begins june1st. Lest we forget

Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Apprentice

It was my son birthday yesterday and I had about 60 guests over to my house. I roasted a 40lb pig and made 20 pizzas.

I first slow cook the pig at 300 F for about 3 hours. I took the pig out of the WFO and let it rest for a couple of hour. I fired up the oven again to get the temperature up to 600 F for pig final heat. While the WFO was heating up, I recruited my daughter and niece to poke hundreds of tiny holes on the pig's skin so it could help with the cracklin' on the pig skin. Once the WFO heated up to my desire temp, I closed the WFO with my insulated door to let the heat spread out evenly throughout the oven without removing the ember. After 30 minutes with the door closed, the air temp inside the WFO was at 600 F. I put the pig inside the oven again for only 10 minutes and it was beautiful! Cracklin all over roasted pig. I love my WFO!

A lot of people was asking if I can help them if they decided to build a WFO in their backyard and how much it cost. I think my WFO is cured completely because all of the pizzas were beautifully chared on the bottom and they were usually cooked within two minutes.

Now, I need to focus on the enclosure of the WFO because hurricane season begins on June 15 and some serious bread baking.
Attached Thumbnails
40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0783.jpg   40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0785.jpg   40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0787.jpg   40" WFO in the New Orleans-img_0790.jpg  

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just spectacular!!

Chris
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Laborer

Excellent thread. Congratualtions on a great build and for sharing your ideas and experiences.

Regards,
Bruno