Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   40" WFO Chantilly, VA (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/40-wfo-chantilly-va-20682.html)

Phrogplt 05-16-2014 10:09 AM

40" WFO Chantilly, VA

3 Attachment(s)
All,

This is my second WFO build. I built my first oven in Temecula, CA in 2009 and a few years later the military moved us back to the EAST coast. This year I built my second oven. I cannot thank everyone enough for all the posts and info provided on this forum. I used this forum daily for both builds. My newest build is fully fuctional but I have not completed the "finish work." I am quickly closing in on the finish-line. I will attach photos of my build.
Again thank you to everyone on this forum!

Nick

Phrogplt 05-16-2014 10:16 AM

Re: 40" WFO Chantilly, VA

4 Attachment(s)
Here is the beginning phases. Since this was my second build it went quite fast. I started with 2" of ceramic fb and then layed my firebrick on that. Then I created a template using the cheapest plywood I could find at Home Depot. I also used this to anchor my IT. I started my soldier course on the outside of the inner floor as not to cause any issues with the floor. Additionally, I built my own IT, this was an amazing help!

Phrogplt 05-16-2014 10:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
One thing I did not do for the first 6 courses was to tapper the bricks. The gaps where very managable until that point. after this row I tapper all the rest of my bricks. As always the arch to dome connection is always a nightmare, I lost many nights sleep trying to think of the best way to do this. I still do not know the best way.

Phrogplt 05-16-2014 10:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some better views of completed arch and dome. I do not have any pictures from the inside.

Phrogplt 05-16-2014 10:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is the closed dome. I used a 50/50 mix of type S and fireclay to cover the entire dome. I let this dry for a week and then fired it for a week. I had each fire good for a few hours to maintain aconstant heat to allow for the moisture to closely release from the brick and mortar. As the first became more intense I would leave the ambers in the oven all night long. Once complete I covered with 3 layers of ceramic fiber blanket. I used HVAC tape on the seems, more to hold everything together as I went on to the next layer. Then covered with chicken wire and covered with high strength motar, 1". I have not completed the final stucco layers as the winter in northern Virginia last much longer than normal and we had alot of snow.
I also build a door for my oven. I used 2 pieces of sheet metal to widge 2" of FB in between. I then attached the wood front with handles. I used the HVAC tape again to cover the exposed FB, just so it would not flake off every time I opened and closed the door. I has worked great.

Phrogplt 05-16-2014 10:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some of the rewards of my labor.

Phrogplt 05-17-2014 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have unstalled a brick front and side for the entrance. I put rebar in the walls holding the bricks together. The chimney will go in later this week. I am putting v-crete in the void over the inside arch. More rebar and mesh as well. Along with final stucco on the dome and the walls of the base.

Phrogplt 05-23-2014 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Continuing the build. Need to stucco the base and the dome now.

GianniFocaccia 05-23-2014 02:08 PM

Nice-looking oven! Great-looking bread!

Gulf 05-23-2014 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like your decorative arch!
I now dub yours'.....................:

Attachment 42854

The Peace Oven :).