Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 40" corner build in central TX

I was just thinking... should I use homebrew for the first few courses of chimney brick? It is sitting directly on the flue arch, so it's going to get fairly hot.

I've only got a few chimney bricks set, not the end of the world if they need to come back out.

My oven (thus far):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogorir View Post
I was just thinking... should I use homebrew for the first few courses of chimney brick? It is sitting directly on the flue arch, so it's going to get fairly hot.

I've only got a few chimney bricks set, not the end of the world if they need to come back out.
I used the homebrew for my entire chimney stack, why not?

Your build is looking good, have you started cooking in it yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Laborer

I've been using type-s quikcrete profinish premix mortar for the decorative stuff and I like the way it works.

Based on 25psf wind load(roughly 100 mph), it doesn't really matter what I use, the load is almost negligible (125 lbs).

My oven (thus far):
Old 05-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Laborer

Chimney case is done, more or less. It's a bit rustic, but a learned a lot about keeping everything true by the 6th course (doh).

I'm going to try to fill in a row of bricks behind the corbel if the rain will let up tomorrow and do the mortar cap. In hind sight, I think I went a course too tall, as my flue is only about 3 inches proud of the top course of brick.

I'm going to fab a stainless flashing/cap/spark arrestor/air director to sit on top, just need to locate some stainless. I was originally going to do copper, but I can't really justify the expense.

I guess I need to stop procrastinating about covering the dome, that's about all that's left

(yes, I know, terrible picture quality. iPhone doesn't do so hot in the dark)
Attached Thumbnails
40" corner build in central TX-2014-05-25-21.37.44.jpg  

My oven (thus far):
Old 05-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Apprentice

Wow that looks great....Crazy to think how much weight it is holding. Nice Job...

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

Old 05-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Laborer

Yeah, probably close to 750 lbs for that 4' chimney Those numbers really start to add up when you're looking at a big house chimney with multiple flues.

My oven (thus far):
Old 05-26-2014, 04:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The corbeling detail was a nice touch.

For your iphone, try the camera+ app. It's free, and it has great photo editing features.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Laborer

Thanks, Stonecutter. I was trying to keep my design elements at least somewhat consistent by mimicking the corbel on the block stand. I may stucco the chimney up to the corbel, but my wife likes the brick. we'll see how it looks next to the stucco'd dome.

I think I've used that program before. The sodium lamp on the garage is the real culprit, though. It's about 3x as bright as the lights shining on the near side of the oven.

You can probably see on the left side where I got a bit off plumb. I'm thinking I should've rigged something up to have a straight line to follow, but oh well... it was a learning experience. Also, if I were to do another one, I'd be loath to use king size brick. It's dimensions don't lend itself to structural applications. As such, I solidly filled all the cores for the first 2' and for the corbelled courses. Filling the cores completely takes roughly twice as much mortar and half again more time, but when you're doing the corbels, the extra surface area to adhere the brick to makes all the difference in getting them stuck without leaning outwards. I still had to use a brick on the inside edge of the bricks or a dried piece of mortar in the joint to keep them from leaning until the mortar grabbed, though.
Attached Thumbnails
40" corner build in central TX-2014-05-26-08.49.39.jpg  

My oven (thus far):
Old 05-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's not that bad, the stucco coat would balance it out. But I personally like the brick too.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Laborer

We're on the same page, I'm withholding any opinion until I get the base and dome stucco'd. It may look great, it may look like too much brick.

Any ideas on the stucco dome to non-stucco chimney transition? The only idea I've got is doing a ring of 1/4 round tile and stuccoing up to it. I've been thinking of adding some cobalt blue accents, might be a good place for it.

My oven (thus far):