Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 40" corner build in central TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogorir View Post
I've never used a true surgical glove, are they WAY more abrasion/cut resistant? I've used ,any latex and nitrile exam/mechanics rubber gloves and I always wind up shredding them.
They wont last very long with masonry.

I had bold printed some stuff in my last post, but if you want a glove that is going to hold up, Atlas is the way to go. I have been through tons of glove types, and the dipped ones are best for dexterity and durability. Atlas makes the best...Wells Lamont next. A 12 pack should run $38 - $45.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Apprentice

I love the Atlas gloves too, but I haven't found any that are waterproof.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Laborer

My fingers get torn up mostly from striking mortar from the inside(left hand) and pointing the vertical and outside joint(right hand). I'm sure I could be using a pointing tool for the outside, but with the angle changes and such, I'd need about 10 sizes, so I will continue to remove my epidermis until I'm done setting bricks. Since I use my fingers, I wash them off all the time, as well as sponge the bricks, so my hands are soaked through, which I think is the real problem. skin isn't very durable when it's waterlogged.

My oven (thus far):
Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Apprentice

That's why I like the latex surgical gloves...they're waterproof and I can run cement over the joints with my fingers to point them up.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Laborer

sweet, if they hold up for half a course, that's good enough. I'll grab a box on the way home.

My oven (thus far):
Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Apprentice

Literally, mine are lasting most of the day. Yesterday, I replaced the pair after about 6 hrs.

Link to my pictures

Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Laborer

Totally missed your post, stonecutter. I hadn't thought about dipped gloves. those might work, especially with a latex glove underneath. I'll grab a pair of cheapies at HF tonight and see if I can work with them. It's got to be better than duct tape

@mirassou I have a feeling I'm a bit harder on my hands than most. maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think most people wear 5 holes down to the dermis in a weekend

My oven (thus far):
Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wear the surgical gloves under the dipped. Rubber doest breath, your hands will get wet either way.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Apprentice

That's perfect

Link to my pictures

Old 11-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't like using gloves because I can't feel what I'm doing so well. I use a good quality barrier cream instead.it does wear off but does a pretty good job. It is the lime in the mortar that is the culprit. The hands do get used to it though. Also try washing hands in vinegar when done.