Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 40" corner build in central TX

I haven't really gotten anything done since I poured the insulating concrete, other projects have been getting in the way. I've been trying to find time at work to run over and get 1/2YD of fine brick sand, but that hasn't happened yet. I guess I'll have to make time today (in the rain).

I did cut up my cal-sil board, which as I suspected is not quite enough to go all the way under the dome bricks, so I'm going to have to fill in the edges with perlcrete. I'm thinking I will lay the floor brick under the dome brick so I have a level surface to start the dome on.

I finally brought home the sheet of 3/4" plywood that's been lying around work so I have something to pre-build my floor brick/arch/first course on. I'll have most of today to myself, so I'm hoping I can get a good bit done.

My oven (thus far):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Laborer

Wow, I guess I've done a pretty terrible job updating this! I haven't gotten a ton done on the oven in the last month, but I did manage to get some stuff done this week and weekend. I've been working in the attic preparing to put up a radiant barrier, pulling out an old 48" whole-house fan, pulling out old squirrel-chewed fiberglass batts, actually installing soffit vents(!)(1) and preparing to blow in some cellulose.

I was having a time getting my floor perfectly level with no gaps, so I took a rub brick and put a slight bevel on the top edges so at the least the peel won't catch. I used dry fireclay and sand for a leveling bed, which worked fairly well, but it was difficult to level across the whole floor. I think I wound up being about 1/8" low in the center.

Yesterday I cut up the box my wife's tread mill came in (3-ply HD cardboard) to make a template for the inner arch footprint and first course of dome bricks. the 3-ply was probably way over kill and took forever to cut, but I'dve had to cut the thing up at some point to throw it away anyway, so it might as well serve a purpose.

I got the inner arch all cut and the upright sections mortared in yesterday. It's been cold the lat few days, at least for Texas, so I waited until today to do the horizontal sections and the keystone. I decided to do the horizontal sections out of one brick per side to minimize the number of joints and because cutting the bricks the tall way on the 10" HF brick saw is a pain. I think it turned out well, though. I still need to put in the rear wythe, but I wanted to let the mortar get good and hard on the front wythe first. I'm using a 4:1:1:1 homebrew w/ about 2pts water and the stuff I did yesterday around noon is still dark(wet) gray. I can only assume it's the temperature (62 high on sat, 44 degrees overnight,72 high sun) that's causing it to take it's sweet time setting. It bites just fine, but it doesn't have a lot of strength even 24hrs out.

I did the first course of dome brick just as half bricks and used some of my splits to wedge in the wide mortar joints, which went smooth sailing. Then I tried to adapt MrChipster's tilt/turn jig to my 10" saw, which so far has been a miserable failure. I started the second course just eyeballing it and splitting the bricks on a slight angle to reduce the mortar joint, which works fine on course#2, but I really need to figure something out before I get to the 3rd course. I know a number of people have used the 10" HF saw, how did you guys cut your bevel/angles?

Unfortunately, I probably won't get much done but mortaring the second course in and the rear wythe of the arch this week; my wife's orchestra kid's concerts are this week, so I'm on filming duty Tues and Thurs.

(1) due to the complete lack of soffit vents, I've decided to run 8- 240cfm fans in 6" duct to minimize the number of vents I need to install. Surplus center has a hell of a deal ($10/ea) on these EBM Papst fans that list for $88/ea at Allied Electronics. I scored a 13a 24v power supply for 35$ shipped off ebay this weekend, too
Attached Thumbnails
40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-19-15.46.40.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-19-18.33.12.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-20-20.25.47.jpg  

My oven (thus far):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Laborer

I put up a tent over the dome saturday morning, as we were forecast to get .4" saturday night. I sure am glad I did. I got just shy of 3".

I've figured out, at least temporarily, how to get my angle/bevels cut. I had written off the miter head on the HF saw because the blade hits the table outside of the 0,22.5,45 degree slots, but I tried setting the blade to just above the rubber surface and it will still cut the bricks with ease, so that's what I'm going with until it doesn't work.

I've got through course 6 done on the dome and the arch joint done through course 3. I've been leaving those because they take forever on my arch because the sides are straight and I have the arch set further out from the center than some, so there's a bit more finicky angle work than normal. from here up I'm basically just planning on getting a brick cut to fit the last dome brick and the arch and grinding the face until it fits correctly.

I'm going to try to get the arch joint done up to at least course 6 tomorrow and get course 7 done around the dome. I'm pretty sure course 6 will partially go across the arch and course 7 will finish it out.

It was dark when I was done, pics tomorrow.[edit: pictures now]

[edit] you might also notice that there's a bit of a step in course 6, I was getting off the IT a bit and closing the dome too quickly by a few degrees, so I decided that I should probably fix that while the offset was only 1/8" in most places, especially because I'm starting to need the IT to hold the bricks until they bite. Up to course 6, I was basically only using it for the first brick and checking 2-3 more per course. it's worked so far... I threw the level across for the first time on course 5 and its dead level in one direction and about an 1/8" in the other. I was pretty surprised at that, as I haven't exactly been paying that much heed.
Attached Thumbnails
40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-28-07.30.24.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-28-07.30.39.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-28-07.30.55.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-28-07.31.12.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-28-07.31.30.jpg  

My oven (thus far):

Last edited by ogorir; 10-28-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking good! I like how you put the IT pivot below floor level. That will get you a lower dome. But you're going to have to tie that opening arch in sooner or later...

Old 10-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Laborer

I stole garnerAC's replace-a-brick idea and used the lock/latch swivel from a padlock latch, which on top of a 2x6 puts the pivot dead even with the floor. The all-thread is bolted through an eye-bolt with fender washers, eye bolt bolted through the lock swivel. The hole in the swivel is rectangular, so I stuck a small bolt in front of the eye bolt to keep the pivot in the same place.

It's not a perfect solution, there's about an inch offset to one side, but it was cheap enough and a bolt together solution. I did weld a u-shaped piece of steel to my angle iron on the other side so I had some length adjustment, though.

My oven (thus far):
Old 10-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Apprentice

Congratulations on your progress...just go ahead and work on cutting the bricks close to the arch. You can check one with the IT, then mortar it as your IT is holding a brick while the mortar sets on the upper course.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Laborer

I got the arch joint done thru course 5 save for some grinding and the first 9 bricks of course 7 done tonight. I tried grinding the left side an hour after I set it in, but it broke the mortar lose before I finished, so I'll just wait until tomorrow to do that. I need to get that roughed in before I can do the arch joint on course 6, though. If I wake up at a reasonable time tomorrow, I might see if I can finish cutting course 7 and maybe rough-cut the course 6 joints.

you can see in pic #4 how my arch is basically tangent to the dome, so it will pull the dome out of round a bit tying it in, but I'm not really worried about that.
Attached Thumbnails
40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-28-21.55.42.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-28-21.55.55.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-28-21.56.09.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-28-21.56.43.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-28-21.56.58.jpg  

My oven (thus far):
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Laborer

I had to take a few days off due to rain and mosquitoes, but I got course 6 tied into the arch and course 7 done to the arch joint. I think I'm going to start cutting the bricks into 3rds on course 8 to closer approximate a circle as the diameter gets smaller.

you can see in the first picture how much I will have to grind out to smooth the transition into the dome, but I think I'm going to leave the rest of the grinding until after I get above the arch completely.

I have 39 bricks left, so I'll probably go grab a few more tomorrow if I can get away from work for a few, I'd really like to finish the dome this weekend and it's going to be really close getting that done with what I have.
Attached Thumbnails
40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-31-19.21.57.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-31-19.22.22.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-31-19.23.30.jpg   40" corner build in central TX-2013-10-31-19.23.46.jpg  

My oven (thus far):
Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Apprentice

Looks awesome, you should plan on cooking your turkey in it for T-Day!

Keep up the good work!

Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Apprentice

Ogorir, suggest covering the bricks on the floor with something, so that mortar doesn't get into the cracks and cause expansion toward the dome. I thought of that because of Deejayoh. I had my floor covered, but not the perimeter. He suggested to use duct tape around the perimeter for the same reason.

Link to my pictures