Old 12-08-2010, 06:06 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 4 years in the making - 42" dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
Got to get some work done this eve. I killed the blade, so cuts were minimal at best - BAH!
Looks like a HF run tomorrow after work.

And if I catch the dog grabbing my sponge and tearing it apart, we may be having a dingo roast after one of the firings!
Looking good. You must be using the blade the saw came with. I kept that for ceramic tile and bought a Masonry blade...still going strong after bricks, block and rock. . . I know exactly which dog stole and destroyed my sponges ...he's right there in my avatar

dave
Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Journeyman

So, there I was...

I went out to work on the oven and behold - a dog eating a sponge - I hate them dingos.

Fortunately, I could salvage a large piece.

So, I completed the dome - and it really looks ugly inside, but it works for me

Halogen on the inside, dome is covered with a sheet and blanket again - low 30's predicted at my casa.

Tomorrow, purchase the HF blade (yeah, i know I was supposed to get today - blah blah blah.) Am also going to get a wire wheel for my drill as well - see below.

Cut the outside arch template tomorrow eve, do some interior cleaning (took out a bushell of crap already.)

Friday, cut arch bricks and attach. Determine how the heck I am going to make the transition to the chimney. knock the brick wedges off. Heck, I may even clean up around the thing

Get the scratch coat on the dome Saturday eve after work - I have weekend duty. Monday - vermicrete/pearlcrete the dome. Continue to bake with the dome for 5 days. Nice thing with the 20% humidity, is that water really flies off the surface if you are not careful!

Is that Pizza I see out my back door?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Journeyman

So,

Today I got up and cleaned the inside of the dome using a screwdriver, water and sponge and a drill with a wire wheel. Although I completed it in about an hour, it was a tough hour to say the least - and messy too. My wife laughed seeing by posterior hanging out of the opening - sorry, no pics of that as far as I know.

Pics of the inside dome will be coming next week after the removal of the forms. I do have to say that my masonry sucks, but the thing is solid!

Spent about 45 minutes troubleshooting the blade I just bought from HF. The 5/8th inch hole was not 5/8th inch. After an argument with the wife, an internet search, a search through my tool boxes for a file, I was able to clean the hole enough to get rid of the nasty wobble that was going on when I put the blade in to begin with! I also cleared out the water feed hose to ensure a happy feed.

After the repair, I built the outer arch form and got the thing installed. I like the keystone - it is 2 bricks back to back. The brick is a red calico brick which is rather lovely, if I do say myself.

The opening to the flue will be a challenge. My outer arch is 30 inches wide and 14 inches tall and my inner arch is 21 and 12 inches tall. Dome height is 20 inches I think - I will have to measure.

The plan for this eve is to cut a course of bricks at a 45 degree angle. The the second course at a 60 degree angle and then close the gap so I have a chimney hole of about 8x8 inches. I was thinking of using brick to finish the chimney, but am concerned about the weight at this point. Plus, I want to build a Tuscan Grill next, so I want to save the firebrick.

Any other thoughts? I do have a huge gap to cross.
Attached Thumbnails
4 years in the making - 42" dome-00001.jpg   4 years in the making - 42" dome-00002.jpg   4 years in the making - 42" dome-00003.jpg   4 years in the making - 42" dome-00004.jpg  
Old 12-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Journeyman

Today was a good day!

I had a crack int he arch (third brick from left.) So I ground it out and re-filled it. The rest of the arch is way solid.

Got the scratch coat on the dome and covered with plastic to slow the water exodus and minimize the crazing/cracking.

Unfortunately, I found out the space between the arches is about 7 1/2 inches - DOH! Spoke with a stove company who does metalwork. They can make the transition fit, but I got to give it some thought. At least I can start the curing on Saturday as I was planning. My other plan is to add another course of tapered brick from the transition walls to close it in and pour a cement cap for each side, then use a clay liner. Oh the choices.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Laborer

I cut brick and built up from a similar point as you are at to make my flue vent / transition. It worked and draws great, but was a lot of cutting to get the bricks across the gap. In retrospect, I think it would be less work to build a wood form around your arches and cast a flue transition in place. If you search around you'll find some threads with details on casting the flue vent. If I did it again I think I would cast the flue vent.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Laborer

Hi
My build is at a similar stage and your dimensions of arches and vent are also. I have picked up a couple of comments observing that the outer arch will collapse over time unless i buttress the vent walls.
Have you ( or others experiences ) got any concerns in that regard?

I can build either and enclosure instead of igloo or put in place another set of bricks around the vent to create a double wall.

Ant thoughts from anyone - thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Journeyman

Man o man

I considered it and am still thinking.

I will need to pull out the ol Standards Handbook for Civil Engineering to make a quick determination. A gut feeling says no, but tossing a few bricks up wont hurt - cheap insurance. My entry bricks and roof transistion bricks are mudded to the dome.

I am still trying to figure out how to deal with the chimney - thinking about a brick chimney all the way up for that classic look. However with Forno Rustica and the bricklayers skills, I may have a second thought about that

CW
Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Laborer

I will be interested in what you resolve to do. I am still pondering but may well add any extra buttressing at a later point if / when i build a brick chimney.
I am still trying to work out the transition of the vent bricks. I want to tie into the inner arch.
Are you looking to use the outer arch for support of the vent/chimney. I have seen both approaches and i am not sure which is more secure.
Have you made progress with your vent/chimney transition. I am interest to see how you will go. I want to angle the inner face so there is a smooth funnelling effect. However, i am trying to see how will support these bricks securely on top of the vent walls and tie into the arch and dome. I will probably spend some time mocking up some odeas with the bricks in hand!!

Last edited by John French; 12-14-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Journeyman

After much thought, pondering, praying for inspiration, slapping cold water in my face (ok, semi cold - I live in AZ) the thought came to mind - use the grinder.

Now your thinking, am I going at my oven. Short answer is NO.

I ordered a 8.5x8.5x24 inch flue tile.

With my handy dandy PencilCad '95, I figured I could cut the flue on one side to match the outer edge of the inner arch, with the other wall neatly cemented to the inside of the outer arch. The other 2 edges will be mortared to the transition bricks.

The flue will be in on thurs eve, pick up on Friday am. I will be making a cardboard template to guide my cuts. Any errors/chips will be masked with the home brew.

I tell ya, I have seen so many errors on my oven, I am surprised it is standing

I could write a book on lessons learned. I am halfway tempted to knock it down, clean the bricks off and rebuild - lol

I will be posting pics this weekend. I am hoping to get a slurry coat to cover all the shrinkage cracks in the dome coating. I even covered it with plastic to retard the water loss. I will need to look at my old cement recipes to figure out what went wrong - maybe I did not have enough of my favorite beverage!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

C5dad, you will certainly want to add some mass to the outside of that arch, preferably before you remove the falsework.