Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: 39" Stargate Pompeii

Karangi Dude
Quote:
Amac, I followed the discussion about your planned arch on Aceves thread and I must say I am not sold on the idea,
I think of it like this - if it works like that for a semicircular arch in a hemispherical dome, which it must, then if I raise the dome and arch on a cylindrical shape of the same diameter as the dome to any height, then provided I maintain the integrity of arch and hemisphere it should work in that case also. My "cylinder" will be only 1.5" but it should be true for any height.
Anyhow I believe it works in theory. The practise might show another story but I am fond of pie even the humble variety
I don't think it will make cutting the dome bricks easy - just simplifies the arch, but of cousre the dome isn't radiating out from the arch so the higher bricks attaching the arch will have more and sloping cuts, but I don't think that is what you mean by:
Quote:
modify the dome bricks to match up with your arch.
Thanks Doug for the comment and interest - don't worry I am not taking anything negative from your comments. I believe you were the first one to properly integrate the dome with the arch, and your dome is a work of art.
Aidan
Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
The pork arrived, all cooked and delish, thanks Amac.
looks pretty good brickie - bon apetit I was looking at pots like that just the other day - will they withstand any temps? I thought the handle on the cover didn't look too robust but maybe it depends on the make. I don't know why I'm building an oven I'm no cook!

Last edited by Amac; 02-02-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Journeyman

Doug
You have used thermocouples in your dome. What type and how much would I expect to pay? I was reading about them in wiki here and they have a table of types E, J, K, N etc
Thermocouple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This site sells them and infrared thermometers - which seem to be rather expensive - but might be worth it.
TC Direct for Temperature Sensing, Measurement and Control
Any advice on this?
thanks
Aidan
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

We mainly use cast iron pots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
We mainly use cast iron pots.
Yeah thats the type I mean - cast iron but enamelled - the one I looked at had a sort of bakelite or some such handle on the lid
Aidan
Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dont get any with plastic bits or even silicon inserts, we have a Scanpan roaster that used to have silicon inserts in the handle.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Journeyman

thanks Doug
bookmarked that one. It's high time I extended my meagre range of cooking skills. one of the kids gave me a book on WFO cooking for my birthday - I think maybe he's an optimist!
Aidan
Old 02-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Journeyman

Ok - I haven't removed that vermiculite board yet - I'm a bit reluctant I thought I might just put an edge of mortar or concrete around it to ensure stability.
I just laid out the bricks of the soldier course, the first row and a few of the arch bricks just to make sure they look Ok and so far so good. I used Aceves idea to cut the first two rows - the first row can be seen in the pic. I cut them 4 7/8 by 4 1/8 and the second row 5" by 4". It looks good, and will save mortar by narrowing the vertical joints. Great idea thanks Aceves I may try to skim the inside edge to get rid of the inverted V - maybe wait till row 2 or 3.

The IT centre is already 1.25" high so the floor covering (1/8") and a few off cuts under the IT brings the IT pivot up the required 1.5". Since the soldier course is 1.5" and the floor is 3", a straight edge across made it easy to verify.

Notice I added a temporary block to the IT angle. This is because I plan to do the arch first and to use the IT to check each brick. To fit snugly the arch angle should originate at the IT pivot centre.

Note that the Jcg31 IT design specifies that the IT angle will be offset by 1/2 a brick - which means that for the normal dome bricks the top of the brick points beyond the IT pivot, the bottom of the brick in front of the pivot and the centre of each brick at the centre. For the arch the outside slope of each brick points to the pivot - hence the additional 1.5" block (1/2 brick).

Not sure if I explained that very well but the pic may explain what I mean.

BTW - I checked with the brick manufacturers who also make the "airset" mortar and I decided after all that it wouldn't be suitable. Two reasons:
1. The recommendations on the forum (James) seem quite specific about all or most airset mixes - don't use them!
2. The manufacturers told me any joints should only be 3mm max. otherwise there would be cracking. Most of the joints will exceed 3mm in my case.

Luckily (it's expensive stuff!) the suppliers took back the three tubs (still unopened) in exchange for a gift card for the full value. I use them a lot so I should easily spend it there. Instead I got some sand, lime, cement and fireclay and will do a some testing of the 3:1:1:1 mix over the next few days if the weather holds out. We are getting the edge of a Siberian cold snap (which has killed >100 in Ukraine so far) Here temp are down to -4, -5C, the last few days which is not too bad but not good for mortar. Still the cold is preferable to the rain we were having.
Aidan
Attached Thumbnails
39" Stargate Pompeii-photo0274.jpg  

Last edited by Amac; 05-28-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Apprentice

Hi Aidan,

Glad to see that you started your own thread! Not that I was at all upset about you posting on mine, but now you have free reign on your own thread and will have documentation of your progress for generations to come!! Congrats on starting!

And you're welcome on the first 2 rows cutting idea. It actually wasn't mine, I read it somewhere on this Forum. I tell ya, there is some great advice on here!

I like that you decided to go with the homebrew 3:1:1:1 mortar mix. You will be glad you did. A lot of us have gone that route and we are super-happy with the ease of application of the mortar. Keep building and posting pics, and we'll add comments when we see fit (or when you ask for suggestions).

Aceves
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Journeyman

Hi Aceves
Quote:
I like that you decided to go with the homebrew 3:1:1:1 mortar mix. You will be glad you did. A lot of us have gone that route and we are super-happy with the ease of application of the mortar.
I tested that mortar mix on a few offcuts yesterday. I was expecting that it would be pretty solid after 24 hours - but I could still scrape it easily with a fingernail today. How long before it would be set solid enough to, for example, remove an arch form?

Gianni - I read somewhere that you added more lime and clay and less portland for a more sticky mix. would it change the ratios or how precise were your measures? I think you are maybe more precise than most.

BTW those proportions are by volume - not weight?

Only additional progress was I decided to taper the arch bricks ever so slightly. - just to test if I could manage it with the angle grinder. I just did a bit (2/5") at the inner side of each arch brick up to the height of the part you can see at the inside of the oven. Not the best cuts in the world, but I was happy enough with the results. I used the edge of the blade to grind them down. It meant I have to cut three additional additional arch bricks but it will cut down that much mortar also.

By the way anyone thinking of using an angle grinder - there is serious torque in these things - and I have had a few kickbacks and bricks flying. You must not force it - just let it's own weight do the cut - always cut straight. The slightest twist and the kickback is frightening. Having said all that it works much better than I expected, and since I borrowed it from a good neighbour - the cost so far was just two blades (maybe some pizza later). I'm still on the first blade.

Here are a few pics of the resultant arch laid out on a table. The last one shows what should be seen from the inside of the dome as well as where the dome walls attach.
Attached Thumbnails
39" Stargate Pompeii-photo0278.jpg   39" Stargate Pompeii-photo0279.jpg   39" Stargate Pompeii-photo0280.jpg