Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 39" Stargate Pompeii

Very nicely done! Looks great. The other two-layer plug I have seen that is like yours is on Ken Wiley's "Kentucky Dome"

You got that dome up very quickly. I think we started our threads about the same time and I haven't set a single brick into mortar

call me jealous!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Journeyman

Thanks DJO - it looks good to me anyway - I just hope not too many of those master builders on here look too closely
Quote:
I haven't set a single brick into mortar
As I said on your thread the way you have cut those bricks looks like you will hardly need any mortar.

I thought I ordered enough bricks for a 36" but I still have about 40 left after the 39" dome. That ought to be enough to finish the vent and landing? I guess it is because I used 3" bricks.

I thought about trying for what they call a thermal break like Giannis, but I'm getting lazy again so I think I will skip that.

The outer arch will be the same semicircle shape 12" radius lifted 1.5". That gives 1.5" all around to allow for a door. Will that be enough? Too much?
Attached Thumbnails
39" Stargate Pompeii-photo0370.jpg  
Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

On the reveal, I am planning a 1" around the door. I think 1.5" may be a lot. But I think it depends on your landing design. If you are going with the flared landing, then 1" reveal is probably the way to go. If you are not going to flare the opening, then maybe you would want a wider reveal, just to give yourself the extra room?

FWIW, with all the cutting I am doing - I suspect I will use a lot more bricks than you. I started with 200. I think I've used about 85-90 so far and I am not into the dome. I think each tier uses 13 bricks - obviously declining as I go up. I should do that math...
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Journeyman

No - no flaring - it looks good and is probably very good for working with but too much precision for me.
Quote:
I suspect I will use a lot more bricks than you
You probably also have 2.5 inch bricks which add a couple of more rows. After the soldier course I had 9 and 1/2 plus the plug.
Quote:
I should do that math...
Don't ask me to do it anyway - I got an F for my latest effort on one of Giannis threads
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking really good, Aidan! I too, am jealous of the speed at which you completed your dome. You will no doubt spend many hours enjoying the fruits of your labor, all done miraculously with a hand-grinder. Regarding a thermal break, given your climate, you may want to reconsider skipping this element. Sure, its a little more work, but you only get to do it once.

John
Old 03-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Journeyman

Thanks John
Quote:
I too, am jealous of the speed at which you completed your dome
You probably have to work. I retired over a year ago - otherwise there is no way I would have done it at all let alone in this time!
regarding the thermal break - I think I'll rest on my laurels for a few days and think about it
Aidan

Last edited by Amac; 03-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 AM
Serf

Hi Amac looking good you will be cooking soon
kpm
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Journeyman

Take your time, and do it once (however you want). No regrets.
And it looks beautiful because you made it.
Mike
Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
And it looks beautiful because you made it.
thanks Mike - btw I have since been going through your thread and it was amazing how many of the fundamental and recurring questions were raised there. Lovely work by the way. I had some more comments but I will leave them till I get back after the weekend.
Quote:
Regarding a thermal break, given your climate, you may want to reconsider skipping this element.
I have been thinking about this John I have a question here. You put a strip of steel over some insulating bricks just at the oven entry. What do you think of using vermicrete instead of the bricks? I already have vermiculite and the bricks are quite expensive I will probably have trouble getting them. I can get stainless steel for the floor from a local engineering firm.

Also I rang the brick manufacturers and they told me they are now doing tapered bricks. Even though they are for a meter arch I think they would save some trouble for my entry arch?

As per banhxeo76 in New Orleans as you can see from the pics, there is no going back between me and my mistress. I think in the US you call it "home base" right?
Anyway I got in and pointed and cleaned as much as I am going to. I guess it will all fall out as soon as the high heat hits it and add some "roughage" to the pizzas

Off tomorrow for a few days with no internet so :
Beannacht libh go léir, lá fhéile Pádraig
Aidan
Attached Thumbnails
39" Stargate Pompeii-photo0392.jpg   39" Stargate Pompeii-photo0384.jpg   39" Stargate Pompeii-photo0388.jpg  
Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Apprentice

Yes indeed, you got a homerun! Great job by the way and your WFO looks great.

Tu Dat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.