Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 02:47 AM
Peasant

Default Re: 39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England

Thanks. I am hoping that posting as I go will encourage me to finish it at this attempt!

I was not surprised to find that when I took a closer look at the project I had forgotten a lot of what I had planned. The solution to the eternal arch meets dome problem, that I finally got straight in my head before the last break, had dissapeared from my memory completely.

I just got on and cut some bricks to get back in the swing of it. It only took me 7 hours to dig my way to the back of the shed to extract the bench saw

Bricks soaking. Next chain about to start.
Attached Thumbnails
39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-image.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 03:30 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andis View Post
Thanks. I am hoping that posting as I go will encourage me to finish it at this attempt!

I was not surprised to find that when I took a closer look at the project I had forgotten a lot of what I had planned. The solution to the eternal arch meets dome problem, that I finally got straight in my head before the last break, had dissapeared from my memory completely.

I just got on and cut some bricks to get back in the swing of it. It only took me 7 hours to dig my way to the back of the shed to extract the bench saw

Bricks soaking. Next chain about to start.
Glad to see your back on the job. Hope I can be some encouragement. Don't feel bad, I have gotten plenty of the harassment from my friends about the WFO.

Below is a quote from my thread were I begin to tie in the arch to my dome. I some what modeled this after Utahbeehiver's build. Hope this help jogs your memory a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Made a little progress yesterday.......My idea of tying inner arch to the dome and staggering joints did'nt work as well is planned. The further up proved next to impossible.

Attached is the outcome,I settled for tighter joints verses staggering

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:44 AM
Master Builder

Here a link to Utah"s pictures they are worth a 1000 words.
https://plus.google.com/photos/10287...1037496/albums

KB

Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Peasant

Cheers guys. It's all coming back to me after a quick read and a look at the photos.
Started slow. I had never touched a brick before starting this so it's taken an hour or two to get back into it.

Last edited by andis; 05-19-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:35 AM
Master Builder

Are you planning on a small entrance?

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 05-20-2014, 04:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
When you say small do you mean not very tall, not very wide or not very deep? Or some combination ?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:03 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Not so I thought. Inner arch where it meets the dome is 18" wide by 12" high. Ratio to dome size is spot on according to what I've read.
There will be two reveals as the arches widen towards the front.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice tight brick work.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Nice tight brick work.
Thanks. It's not my bricklaying skills but an obsessiveness I have about anything I take on. It annoys me and I wish I could shake it so I got more done
Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andis View Post
Not so I thought. Inner arch where it meets the dome is 18" wide by 12" high. Ratio to dome size is spot on according to what I've read.
There will be two reveals as the arches widen towards the front.
My apology, I mistook the shadow of the R/H side of the dome as being the brickwork. Your numbers are right.

Tidy brickwork as well, looks good.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics

Tags
39 pompeii england