Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England

Andis,
As you figured out top arch brick will be the longest. The template approach gets you a rough idea but each of the brick angles change as you move down the arch. Use our IT to help you set the angles they move in all three axis. Spend some time here and it will pay off during tie-ins.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Peasant

No more arch cutting yet. Laid a few easy ones before being rained off yet again.

Forecast for the next few days is good so I will be doing nothing but cutting and laying bricks. This week should see some faster progress.

Tip - I took the metal sieve from the kitchen and ran the dry dust from the brick saw tray through it with a spoon. The result was a nicer homebrew with no annoying gritty lumps.

Second tip - ask before you take the sieve from the kitchen to use as a builders tool the day you have people coming over for dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-__temp__9a6106b7b6a13906588f36d60f2ca702-1371934312_249_photo.jpg  
Gulf likes this.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

LMAOROFL !!

Quote:
Tip - I took the metal sieve from the kitchen and ran the dry dust from the brick saw tray through it with a spoon. The result was a nicer homebrew with no annoying gritty lumps.

Second tip - ask before you take the sieve from the kitchen to use as a builders tool the day you have people coming over for dinner.
There are countless ways in which the building of these ovens tend to "annoy" the other half . Tip #2 would probably irritate the sht out of just about any of them .

Old 06-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Peasant

Third chain finished. That's all I had cut and i didn't want the neighbours listening to my brick saw all Sunday afternoon.

The arch tie in won't be as neat as some but it's solid, and it's no pig, so i'm happy.

I have a 450mm chimney pot that I am going to use. This will be above a ceramic flue liner, housed in brick, to get me from the vent to above the roof on the house. They are both 9 inch diameter.
I hope this will work ok. I was worried about the weight but I plan to buttress the arches by building either side inside the house walls.
If this sounds unreasonable then please tell me soon as I am on a roll.
Attached Thumbnails
39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-194.jpeg   39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-195.jpeg   39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-196.jpeg   39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-197.jpeg  

Last edited by andis; 06-30-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Apprentice

Sorry Andis, i had my head on upside down! Less off as you go up the arch!!

That's a pretty good start, and not such a great start with HWMBO!
Have you not had the "you spend more time with that oven" comments yet?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Peasant

The ready made mortar I used at the start has dried solid - but my homebrew is drying powdery and turns to dust when handled.

I made it 1:1:1:3 as seems to be standard.

Is this powdery result normal?
Should I up the portland ratio?
Do i return to using premixed?

Also my Firebricks are growing a white fury jacket as they dry out.
Is this just salt drawing out?

Just cutting today until I get some advice on here about the mortar.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Apprentice

Is this mortar in the brickwork or just bits lying around?
If its within your brickwork, then usually that is due to the mortar drying too quickly through the bricks sucking the moisture from the mortar before it gets to cure. There is a chemical reaction that needs to take place. If your adding dry brick dust to the mix too, its a good chance that dry bricks and this added pozzolan is just too aggressive a mix, and causing the mortar to dry too quickly. Its seems a rich mix too. I'm not au-fait with the homebrew exactly though. I'd say that you'd need to hydrate the brick dust before adding to the mix, by creating a sludge and then mixing into your mortar?
Are the bricks you've laid still in place? Give them a tap with the butt of your trowel.

Not firebrick experienced either, but the fur sounds like efflourescence.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neat chimney pot ur using for a chimney.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Peasant

Russell - I pinched the chimney pot from my dads garden.
He has a few and most are a lot older and ornate so he won't miss this plain one.... And it matches the others on my house.

Bookemdanno - your drying out too quickly idea seems to fit. The mortar on the dome bricks seems ok and these bricks had soaked overnight. The mortar on the left arch has gone powdery and the brick dropped off as I touched it. This brick was only sprayed with water just before being placed.

I will soak all bricks overnight from now on. I have been putting a damp sheet over the brickwork when I am finished for the day.

The premixed seems much stronger than the homebrew so I shall use it for my arches and chimney support.

The old blade on my saw was struggling today after cutting another 80 bricks so i am off to get a new one in the morning. Getting a 10 inch segmented blade here in the UK is very difficult. I will have to make do with a solid ceramic blade rather than wait a week for a segmented delivered. You guys in the US and OZ are spoilt when it comes to tools and blades for this job!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Peasant

Had a look about for a blade today.

10" 25.4mm bore segmented diamond wet blade 144 ($218 US / $238 AUS)
10" 25.4mm bore non segmented diamond wet blade 18

It might not be ideal for the job but at a saving of 87.5% I will give the cheap one a shot.

Last edited by andis; 07-02-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Tags
39 pompeii england