Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 05:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post

GoodaYa'll
Too many vowels Gulf, its said G'day with your lips just barely open so as to stop the flies getting in..
Gulf likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Andrew,
What a nice country setting. While the pros were focusing on the wicking issue i did notice your mockup did not seem to have a reveal on inner arch. Be sure to incorporate one for you oven door to seal. Good luck, watching your build with interest

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Master Builder

However basements are built thats how you should do so also. Special spray on and brushed on mastic. Also they use waterproof nylon on a roll
Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Apprentice

I'm going to jump on the band wagon here and congratulate you on what looks like a lovely home and build site. I really like the corbelled base.

In addition to what Russell said about the reveal at the entryway, I would recommend that you plan to chamfer your vent opening in your arch to make a more fluid transition of the smoke to your chimney. I recognize that phase of the project is some way off, but I thought I might chime in before anything was set in stone (or brick as the case may be).

Again, congratulations on a great start to a beautiful outdoor kitchen.

Regards,
AT
Old 03-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the advice and compliments... they motivated me to do a little more today!

Utahbeehiver - The bricks were laid out just to check that the oven would fit on the base. I intend to include 2 reveals. One between the dome and the chimney and another where the firebricks meet the wall of the house.

I was thinking of making the arch step from 18" by 11" at the dome entrance, through to 19" by 12" and ending with 20" by 13" at the outer exit if that makes sense. Is this a good idea and do the measurements sound right?

After a bit of research I ordered a 25KG tub of Tanking Slurry. It's a powder you make up with water and apply to brickwork. Safe and non toxic and does just what I need. It forms crystals as it reacts with water and makes a waterproof barrier. I may still plastic sheet the job as well.

Checked how many bricks i needed for the floor. The dome will sit on the floor. 50 should do it. Still cannot settle on how many to order for the whole job. I will cut a few I have and see how the idea of tapering all the bricks grabs me before i order the rest.

I also knocked up a folding base plate and a basic IT. Crude but hopefully functional. Thought this would help keep the floor clean during the build but I may also use a small set of formers on a stand if the angle of the dome makes the IT difficult to use higher up. Could the formers be made a little shallower to compensate for the 1" extra the IT pivot point will add to the dome height?

I can almost taste that first pizza
Attached Thumbnails
39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-107.jpg   39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-108.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Peasant

After a look around I came to the conclusion that no matter where I got it from blanket insulation is really expensive. A 7.32 meter length of 610mm by 25mm 128kg comes in at 60 to 70

So today i took a trip to a local refractory supplier who sold me some decent offcuts. I know you cannot over insulate but I bought too much... way too much. Well I thought I might as well fill the truck as it was so cheap.
I came home with over 100kgs of 128kg density 25mm. I reckon that's about 8 7 meter rolls worth. For 50!

If anyone wants a few boxes you are welcome to them. I am just a few miles off the A1 near Grantham.

I also got vermiculite to mix up for the base. Wondering how thick the base would be with 200 liters just casting under where the firebricks will be?

Next job is to make an adjustable jig for the saw.
Attached Thumbnails
39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-109.jpg   39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-110.jpg   39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-111.jpg   39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England-112.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andis View Post
...... I had a better idea and convinced the other other half that it would be a cheaper option to build an oven in the wall.
You might have more to teach than learn with skills like that.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Apprentice

Halloo Andis!

There's a few WFOs that'll get built come the new springin the UK, so that Ceramic Blanky will more than pay for your oven.
Think Ebay, Preloved or UKwoodfiredovenforum.

Love your work!

I used some Synthaprufe waterproofing solution over the top of my oven base before laying the insulation for the hearth layer just as a final precaution. I've not had much moisture creep in over winter but i got hammered by the frosts. My Lime Render wasn't cured off enough, so i just have the pleasure of doing it again this Spring!

In our UKs changeable weather, i think a period of building seasoning fires will always be needed after a winter lay off.

Good luck, and keep the photos flowing!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Peasant

Bookemdanno -
I was nervous about using a rubber type water block so near to such extreme heat. Didn't want tyre scented pizza!
It obviously would have been okay as you have proved.

Really like your build. I wanted to build in some work surface but decided not to as I like the way my wall looks with the curves.

Firebricks not as expensive as I first thought. Got them down to 1.18 each including vat. Had to pay 45p each for my reclaims so the cost difference wasn't that huge.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Bookem,

Glad to see you are still around..............

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Tags
39 pompeii england