Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Laborer

Default Re: ~38" build in Seattle

I am a beginner and also forgot the spacers between the floor and the soldier course. After 18 months and 3 55# bags of pizza flour I don't think it really mattered. I am pretty sure it is no longer physically attached by mortar and expands/contracts freely.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the reassurances.

I mortared the entry arch tonight. Then I tried to pull the form, not quite sure why now, probably to clean up the inside. As I should have known, things came a bit loose, but I had to pull everything down to get the form back inside.

Rebuilt the entry arch tonight, too.

I'm getting tired of this project, and I know I have a long way to go.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:29 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluscwc View Post
Thanks for the reassurances.

I mortared the entry arch tonight. Then I tried to pull the form, not quite sure why now, probably to clean up the inside. As I should have known, things came a bit loose, but I had to pull everything down to get the form back inside.

Rebuilt the entry arch tonight, too.

I'm getting tired of this project, and I know I have a long way to go.
Pluscwc, If you haven't already done so, make sure you shim underneath your arch form to make it so you can remove the form without disturbing the brick work. Also "Expert weigh in" I was told to leave the outer arch form in place until it had to be removed to do something else "few days?".

As far as being tired of the project, I think all of us weekend warriors can empathize. I would highly recommend getting it "weathered in" and using it as is. Then take a break from it over the winter and start back at it in the spring with fresh prospective. My personal experience was that building the dome was the least time consuming and finishing the enclosure the most, but I guess that would all depends on how you choose to enclose it. Once you get to a point where you can use your WFO, it helps to renew the soul.

Link to my photo album:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 AM
Master Builder

Hey PL

Keep the spirit. We have all had failures of one kind or another and they are all part of the learning curve. Some of us made our ovens in weeks, some in years but like Chris implied, once you get a fire in there and some food coming out of it the finishing touches are not so urgent.

I loved the whole thing (other than the aching muscles from unaccustomed exercise ) and have become involved in a couple more ovens of those who were inspired with the outcome of my build. Less work involved in those but still the opportunity to help others and refine skills.

Keep your chin up, stay focused on achieving the waypoints and you will be smelling pizza or whatever floats your boat, before you know.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 08-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Peasant

No worries.
I did have shims, although probably not enough. I just bumped the front arch while pulling out the form for the back arch. This time I will dismantle the form a bit more before removing it. And wait a few days or weeks to take it apart.

My plan is for a doghouse enclosure. (Although in my heart of hearts, I want to build one that looks like Able Baker Charlie Mouse's oven. Maybe someone more skilled will do that.)

My goals for the year are to get the roof, chimney, and walls up so I can use it and decorating the outside can be a winter/next year project.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Journeyman

Keep up the faith!

FWIW, I pulled my forms immediately after mortaring my arches (I have a total of 5 arches on my oven). My logic was that the arches are really self-supporting - and the mortar is under compressive force in the gaps. All my arches held fine - but then again I didn't bump them until they had set a little better!
Old 09-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Peasant

Have made a bit of progress finally.

Finished the heat break (if you type it as one word, it autocorrects to heartbreak) with Inswool Pumpable and ceramic rope I got from McMaster Carr. I let it all cure for two weeks while I was waiting for chimney parts.

Lit some fires finally. Yesterday roasted some corn on a tuscan grill. Today roasted some volunteer cherry tomatoes with the heat following a curing fire. The tomatoes turned out great. I've seen the dome temp get up over 750 on the inside and 200 on the outside so I think I've driven the moisture off.

My problem is the draft isn't great. Even with 10 feet of 6" duratech piping, I get a fair bit of smoke out the front. I've been firing it with one of my arch forms blocking off the top of my entry, but I need to come up with a better solution.
Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'll try to take some more this week.
My problem is partly to do with having the 6" rather than 8" pipe. and partly that I built my entry only 9" deep in order to get the chimney to clear a roofline.

I can either tear apart the entry and rebuild it deeper or tack on another section of arch to make it deeper. I'm leaning toward the latter, combined with taking an angle grinder to the inside of the arch to improve the size of the smoke chamber. I have the space to make it deeper.

Glad to finally be firing. I really need to get my roof on before we have any more torrential downpours.
Attached Thumbnails
~38" build in Seattle-img_6790.jpg   ~38" build in Seattle-img_6795.jpg   ~38" build in Seattle-img_6946.jpg   ~38" build in Seattle-photo-2.jpg  
Old 09-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Peasant

Oh, and I ordered some peels but UPS discovered the package was damaged after it got to my local sorting facility, so I'm still waiting for them to go back to the vendor and the vendor to ship replacements.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your arch should be deep enough. Mines only about an inch deeper and it drafts just fine. I'd suspect your 6" flue is the problem. You really should have an 8" flue on that size oven.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Peasant

Based on calculations for flow earlier (~38" build in Seattle) I believed I'd be OK with the smaller chimney.

I feel like I have a choice between spending $1000 to put in an 8" chimney and trying to make it work with the chimney I have, which really only smokes badly at the beginning and end.

Any chance I could visit someone's oven in the Seattle area to experience the firing process? I want to know what it is supposed to be like, so I can judge if it's worth the cost to improve.