Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: ~38" build in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluscwc View Post
Found it in your thread. Was this the material you stuffed into the gap? Kiln Gasket - Flat

How many tubes of caulk did you need?

I used this caulk - one tube was enough
Kaowool Caulk Details

For the gap, I stuffed it with ceramic fiber rope. It was waaay cheaper than that as I bought by the foot. IIRC, they sell it at seattle pottery supply by the foot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Also - Chimney flow calculator - FYI

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ator-3905.html (chimney flow rate calculator)

Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Peasant

Results from the calculation spreadsheet:

8" chimney:
3 meter height 0.13276 m^3/s
1 meter height 0.07665 m^3/s

6" chimney:
3 meter height 0.07468 m^3/s

I think people would agree that a 1 meter high 8" dia pipe should be sufficient for a 38" oven. What is the benefit of twice the draft? Faster heating?

Last edited by pluscwc; 07-09-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Peasant

After taking a week off because it was too hot for me to work here in Seattle. I finished row 9 today. Took extra time because my blade finally ran out of diamonds. Probably took as much time to free the arbor nut as to drive to the hardware store and buy a new blade.

Still, finished the row tonight after sundown. Watching the mosquitos resting on the dome after biting me, I've officially put my blood and sweat into this oven. The tears have all been away from the oven itself.

I used sticks to prop up the bricks until the keystone was done, then crawled inside to clean up. Good times. I think I made the door too big, but it sure didn't feel like it while I was inside there.

I think I can do a 3 brick top layer, and finish up the dome tomorrow. Yeah.
Attached Thumbnails
~38" build in Seattle-img_6704.jpg   ~38" build in Seattle-img_6706.jpg   ~38" build in Seattle-img_6709.jpg  
Old 07-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Peasant

Time for a celebratory pint.

I got a little sloppy at the end, but it's all mortared together and I'm taking the rest of my afternoon off.

Yeah.
Attached Thumbnails
~38" build in Seattle-photo-1.jpg   ~38" build in Seattle-photo-3.jpg   ~38" build in Seattle-photo-4.jpg  
Gulf likes this.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Master Builder

Looks good. I hope you enjoyed the well earned pint.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congrats! I am sure it feels good. Great thing is that while only a few will ever look at the inside of your dome - no one will see the outside of the plug!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Peasant

Ahh, I love panicking and worrying when I can't work. I neglected to put a cardboard spacer between the floor and the dome bricks for an expansion joint. Should I go in there and pull the floor bricks and shave them down?

I'm recovering from a back injury, probably contributed to by my crawling in the oven to clean the last bricks, so I don't relish it. At least it would be face down this time.

Any tips on pulling up floor bricks? If it was smooth I'd use a suction cup, but I'm thinking that won't work here.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't worry about it. It will be fine.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Calculate the thermal expansion of the circumference of the oven VS the diameter and you will have your answer. In other words, no, there is no need for an expansion joint there.