Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)

Hi Toby,

With hindsight I took a risk by not laying a DPC or even a membrane, but I did use Wickes hardener/frostproofer in the concrete mix for the slab. I also used a plasticiser in the mortar mix (EverBuild Opti Mix) which I hoped would help the mortar cope better with freeze/thaw cycles.

Finally, after a suitable drying and curing time, I gave the whole thing a coat of Wickes Water Seal.

This September it will be 2 years (and many hard Essex frosts later!) and no cracks (so far, anyway)...
Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Serf

finally got the materials delivered for the dome, on the hottest day of the year so far....been busy since son was born!
have been mocking up different arrangements, think I will go for a soldier course with a semi-circle door opening and want to try and create a smoking chamber within the chimney area
started cutting through one of the bricks with tile saw, not a quiet job.
have got bigger bricks for the dome than for the floor to minimise the number of joints and went for a 10mm thermal board (high performance one rather than standard one).
planning to put decking down to the height of the door threshold and ideally pergola above
Attached Thumbnails
36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)-dome-start.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 04:18 AM
Serf

finally been able to make some progress, have laid floor, soldier course and got a couple of courses in.
surprising how quickly the joints seem to realign themselves!
doing the cutting with an angle grinder only.
trying to get a course or two done each week.
started with the larger bricks but probably going to go with the smaller bricks for the rest of dome.
my chimney will be slightly larger diameter arch as a lot of the other projects.
not hugely happy with my arch brickwork but it is solid and will be completely hidden once rest is complete, happier with the dome brickwork as starting to get the hang of it.
using a homebrew for the mortar, the special high heat mortar I also bought was a bit of a waste as the joint sizes will always be too great and it won't set properly
just using a quarter circle template rather than IT as seemed a lot easier and hopefully works out fine.
just need to decide upon the enclosure now.....
Attached Thumbnails
36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)-20131013_125320.jpg   36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)-20131013_125354.jpg   36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)-20131013_125333.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 AM
Serf

Some further progress.
Any tips would be appreciated with cutting the bricks with an angle grinders, might buy the abrasive cut off saw in link below
Buy alfra 355 abrasive saw online from alan wadkins toolstore
As getting a wet brick saw of sufficient cutting depth is close to 500+ which is a bit too expensive.
Will clean the bricks with acid once complete.
Going to build a chimney slightly larger than the half dome entrance arch.
The enclosure will be block work to sides then brickwork to the front which will receive render, might put brick slips on the side and enclosure; with pitched roof.
Will then deck the back half of the garden - the oven floor height is too high and I think decking would be better anyway due to the amount of rain over here.
Hoping to finish by mid may.....
Attached Thumbnails
36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)-img_0297.jpg   36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)-img_0298.jpg   36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)-img_0296.jpg   36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)-img_0293.jpg   36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)-img_0292.jpg  

36" Walthamstow Wood Fired Oven (UK)-img_0299.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Bricksaws are are recent thing along with refractory cement. Ovens have been built for thousands of years without them. Your joints will be larger but the homebrew will scan the gapes. You'll be cooking faster than you can say dome calculator. Hope I've not offended anyone with that comment.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:32 AM
Apprentice

A bed of sand, a 4lb hammer, a 4" bolster, some gloves, goggles, cup of tea and elbow grease will do exactly the same job. Like "The Cobbler" says, the Homebrew will do the rest.
david s and Gulf like this.