Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

View Poll Results: What size oven did you pick?
36" 20 35.71%
42" 36 64.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" vs 42"

I agree with Frances...

I think though you can get too small i.e., there is a min size given a roaring fire and room for a pizza. I think you don't want to go any smaller than a 30 or 24" if I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks
Dick
Old 06-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine's a 36, and it's just right for nearly everything I do. The only time I've wished I had a bigger oven was when I had gotten particularly ambitious with loaves of bread.

A 42 would take longer to heat up, for sure. While there's plenty of room in the 36 for two or even three pizzas, I never do more than one at a time. They cook so fast I'd burn one for sure if I tried more than one at a time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Master Builder

Mine started life planned as a 36, but grew it to 40 as full size drawings seem a bit small. I'm in the middle but voted as a 42.

The larger size was helpful when I started to crawl in on my back to clean up the bricks after mortaring!!!!

It's not too often we cook more than one pizza at a time, but with the huge turkey and ham at holidays, we fill up the oven to the max. We have given it a workout loaded with Breads the next day as well.

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Apprentice

I am cutting my hearth bricks now for my 42" oven. I am 6'6" so it's not true what they say about tall people!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Master Builder

I'm with Christo and the others with a 40 inch dome (and basically Frances and as a meter and 40 inches is pretty close). 40 inch has accommodated everything I have wanted to cook so far and doesn't take a huge amount of wood to fire, which IMHO should be a consideration especially if you're going to be purchasing wood.

Bests,

Wiley
Old 07-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am a one meter pizzaiolo also! Because I use a lot of juniper (which burns fast) I have to do a lot of oven management - adding wood, moving coals, etc. - during a long party so having extra space is nice and tends to bias me to ovens bigger than 36". That said, I suspect using oak would reduce the need for oven size a bit.

One thing I would also agree on, unless you are feeding an army, one at a time is enough. It's hard enough to interact with the guests when you are cooking one at a time. Two or three becomes nonstop action and no socializing if you don't turn the oven and pizza making over to the guests!

I can certainly see how a 42 has appeal and once you have it it would feel tight to be in a smaller oven, but...36 is as small as I would suggest anyone go. And I like the middle - 39-40.
Jay
Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Apprentice

Due to space restrictions the biggest I gould fit was 900mm (about 35 and a bit inches for all you yankies). The size to me looks good (I havn't cooked in it yet) and the only time I can forsee I may run out of room is when i have a few roasting trays in there.

The biggest problem i can see with going for a smaller oven is the size of the opening and not being able to get a roast leg or turky through the smaller door.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Master Builder

Yo bimbo, FYI it's "Yankees" or "Yanks" for short, and many south of the Mason Dixon Line would take serious offence to be called either. And some in Vicksburg, Mississippi still don't celebrate our Fourth of July. Know why?
Bests,
Wiley
Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

mine is only 22" and cooks one pizza at a time, but I have done a couple of parties of over 40 people with a fire maintained on the side. As long as a pizza is always ready to go in you just keep them cranking out. A small oven consumes far less wood, is lighter so you don't need massive foundations and uses far less materials so is cheaper, easier and faster to build. You also tend to use it far more often.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Serf

Mine started out as 42", but is ending up at 48" I'm not sure how that happened.