Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 36" pompeii in WI in the winter

Aaron,

My entry arch is similar to yours (inasmuch as it's a full semicircular arch), and I ended up doing a vent area one brick thick with a 6 inch gap in the middle and a full heat break between the vent and the oven. So, the inner and outer arches were only about 1.5" thick (I made the outer arch a little thicker than the inner arch). It seemed pretty shaky as I was putting the arch together, but once the mortar set overnight that thing was solid.

I made the heatbreak by placing a piece of cardboard between the floor bricks of the landing and those of the vent, giving me an air gap of about 1/4 inch. So far it seems to be holding with no problems, although it's only been together for ~3 weeks! I packed insulating caulk into the gap on both sides of the arch, and just left the cardboard in at the floor, figuring it will eventually burn to ash.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Laborer

Thanks, Gulf & rsandler! I think I will go with my original idea with some buttressing. I like rsandler's transition up into the vent pipe. Sharkey made something similar.

The only inconvenience of building a wfo inside that I've come across so far is that I can't start the curing fires and start cooking when I get the dome finished. There's a dust collector in the shop that exhausts outside though.....Soo maybe I could hook that up and create some mega draft. J/K I have read of people curing with a propane torch. The pompeii plans say to only burn wood in the oven though, so I'll have search the forum some more about that.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Laborer

I have another question. As I am planning to use fire bricks for the vent landing floor. What is going to keep rain from blowing into the opening and seeping into and in between the fire bricks? It seems like the joint in between the landing floor and the counter top on the front would pose the most problems this way. I can't seem to find anything on this around the forum. I've thought of making some sort of door to put on the front when the oven isn't in use, but I haven't seen anyone else do that.

We got the dome closed in today and started on the vent arch. I'll post pics later.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It hasn't been that bad in regard to getting wet. The biggest problem I have found is that the bricks get soiled from cooking. I was going to replace mine with soapstone but heard that it gets stained just as easy. Has anyone here used granite for the entry? That would solve the wet issue as well as staining.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have replaced a granite floor in an oven entry that had crumbled, does that count?

Admittedly, it was a commercial kitchen, and almost 10 years old, but it had been in bad shape for years before they called me, and I replaced it with more granite and a written dis-allowance of warranty.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I have replaced a granite floor in an oven entry that had crumbled, does that count?
Absolutely, and it's information that I needed. My other thought was to use stainless but someone that done it mentioned that the steel curled. What would you recommend we use? I would love to have a surface I could wipe clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les, I have Granite in my entry for a couple of years and have not had issue and it is easy to keep clean. When I put it in it was replacing a soapstone entry that didn't relate in color to anything else in the oven let alone the patio. The granite has some red in it and that ties into the granite worktop.

I don't know that the Carson City winter, freeze thaw cycles, might not tear up the granite. I have no idea how it might do in this environment. How does granite do as a patio worktop in you area? Have you considered Soapstone in a single slab or bricks. Soapstone won't absorb water or grease and scratches are easy to sand out. As long as you have a small gap, heat break, between the oven floor and the entry you should be good. Either way you go, if you don't like it and or it starts to breakup, it's not such a large area to deal with.

Chris
Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Chris,

Our winters can be fairly brutal. I know that granite is not recommended for an outside counter (that's why I used porcelain). But as you say, it is a small area and if the piece does go south, it's not that big of a deal. I understand soapstone stains and that's what I want to avoid.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Soapstone stains relative to the finish of the stone and this is a function of what you want and how you like it. Unfinished it's a dark gray and since it's non-porous keeping it clean is easy. It's relatively soft so it does scratch. The finishes are either mineral oil or wax both are a snap to apply and keep up. Also since soapstone is some portion of Serpentine and Talc, there is a wide variance in both hardness and color. The more homogenious the color and the darker the more serpentine the slab contains and the more durable.

Chris
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Laborer

Thanks Guys, I was thinking of granite as well. There is a place around here that I can get some dark blue/grey granite from which would go well with my color scheme. Some people say it doesn't hold up but like Chris said, It's not that hard to replace.