Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 36" pompeii in WI in the winter

Here's some pics of the forming idea my brother came up with to keep the bricks from sliding down. A simple strip of sheet metal. I block it up until the top edge sticks up about 1/16-1/8" above the inside edge of the top course. I tighten the loop against the brick by pulling outwards on the ends of the strip and hold them in place with a self-tapping screw.

This setup still allows me to us the IT to set the angle of the brick and to make sure the course stays on track. It has sped up the brick laying process as we don't need to worry about the bricks sliding. After the course is done, I remove the form and clean up the mortar joints that have been blocked by the it.

So far it has worked well. However, as the angle of the courses gets steeper (the next course probably) I don't think it will work as well. At which point I think I will try to bend the top 1/2" of the sheet metal in to match the angle of the course, and cut Vs every 1" or so to allow it to bend in a circle. I'll let you know how it works.

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
36" pompeii in WI in the winter-wfo-24.jpg   36" pompeii in WI in the winter-wfo-20.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Serf

Aaron,

That is a great idea. I am just starting my build, but I have been trying to think of a to support a whole row like you are doing. The only additional thought that I had was to cut a slot in each end of the sheet metal so you could add a screw and wingnut to adjust for each new row. Probably more effort than it is worth, but you never know.

Thanks for the great idea.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Thanks for the great idea.
No problem.....Have fun building!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Depending upon your mortar, each brick should be self supporting, all the way to the top. I used this template at first to get it round, then eyeballed them in.
Attached Thumbnails
36" pompeii in WI in the winter-081812genesoven1.jpg   36" pompeii in WI in the winter-090212genesoven2.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Depending upon your mortar, each brick should be self supporting, all the way to the top. I used this template at first to get it round, then eyeballed them in.
I know people have done it that way, but it seems my bricks want to slide a little. Maybe it's the mortar I'm using or something I'm not doing in the ideal way. I think it works better if you taper your bricks horizontally (like I'm not), or if the mortar joint isn't as big like on your build.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Laborer

We're finished with the 9nth course now. The sheet metal form is really proving it's mettle.(excuse the pun) I bent the top 1/2" with a friends metal brake, and then cut notches to allow it to bend in a circle, as you can see in the pics. After seeing how well the form works, I think I will try finishing the dome with it instead of the exercise ball I got. One nice feature this form has is that the tabs can be can be bent individually, if necessary, to fine tune the brick placement. It also keeps the courses level and even.

Now I have to go figure out the angles for the next two courses.

~Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
36" pompeii in WI in the winter-wfo-25.jpg   36" pompeii in WI in the winter-wfo-27.jpg   36" pompeii in WI in the winter-wfo-26.jpg  
sharptailhunter likes this.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Laborer

Now a question. I've been throwing around ideas about how I'm going to make the vent landing arch. I am planning on a thermal break between it and the dome (something like Gulfs). I am thinking of making it one fire brick length deep,(9") with a 4" deep slot on top for the vent. This would leave 2.5" of brick on either side of the slot going over the top. Would that be strong enough with the arch being free standing, and not connected to the dome? Would I need to use some sort of buttressing?

Thanks
~Aaron
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Aaron,

This may help, I did not do a completely isolated thermal break like Gulf did but my arch is similar to yours. I cut the bricks so there was minimal contact with the dome arch then stuffed the slot with a ceramic rope then used high temp caulk over the CF rope. Look at my Picassa album for more details.
Attached Thumbnails
36" pompeii in WI in the winter-57b-vent-arch-complete-8.15.12.jpg   36" pompeii in WI in the winter-61a-ceramic-rope-8.25.12.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Aaron,

This may help, I did not do a completely isolated thermal break like Gulf did but my arch is similar to yours. I cut the bricks so there was minimal contact with the dome arch then stuffed the slot with a ceramic rope then used high temp caulk over the CF rope. Look at my Picassa album for more details.
Thanks Russell. I like how shallow your vent area is(Gulf's is way too huge for me), but if I'm going to do a thermal break I want to make it a complete one...or as nearly so as practical anyhow. I wonder if your outer arch would hold up if it was connected to the inner arch by insulating fire bricks at both ends of the vent slot.

Anyone else willing to chime in?

Thanks,
~Aaron
Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTheGeek View Post
Thanks Russell. I like how shallow your vent area is(Gulf's is way too huge for me), but if I'm going to do a thermal break I want to make it a complete one...or as nearly so as practical anyhow. I wonder if your outer arch would hold up if it was connected to the inner arch by insulating fire bricks at both ends of the vent slot.

Anyone else willing to chime in?

Thanks,
~Aaron
If you go with a full thermal break, I would recomend "completing" the inside portion of what I call the heatbreak arch. Even if the completing arch bricks are only 1" to 1.5" That said, I do believe that buttressing is needed. (more so, if you don't complete the heatbreak arch).
Just sayin' .