Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Peasant

Default Re: 36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina

if you see brick houses in your area there are brick sellers. you may need to ask at a hardware store. My phone book list them in the yellow pages under "brick" and "Building Materials" have you looked in the supplies section of Forno Bravo? try posting there and you should get some info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Banned

I've called everyone, no one has firebricks. I called a masonry company and they said they didn't have time to help me with my stuff.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Peasant

I figured out the ash slot yesterday, and was able to cut the bricks to make it work.

I decided to not worry about closing the hole when not in use. I had thought it would be a problem but I played around with it and determined there was no need to close it. The slot is only about 3 inches deep and one brick wide.

So I cut the bricks to size and mortared them in place. I think it will look nice. The firebrick comes out to the edge of the chimney area and the tile will finish off the look on the outside area.
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina-ash-slot.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wont an ash slot interfere with putting food in and out of the oven?

Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Peasant

na. I played with it and it just is out of the way and you can slide right over it with the peel. It is not so deep that it really interferes in any way. My oven is lower than most and I thought the hopper underneath would be a benefit since I cannot really store wood under there.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Heyyy
i got an idea :ddddd
maybe you can make a slide underneath to open and close it. It would cost about $5.00 max!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Peasant

i have been burning wood in the oven all week and nothing seems to terrably wrong. The insulating material has been formed into the shape of the house and it has been covered partially with stucco.
I still have to level the top and edges, but the design is there and ready to have the tile installed on the sides. I have cut the tile for the front (using my angle grinder) and will move to the back on the next time out.
As you can see in the photo, the roof needs to be filled in so I can install antique slate tiles to give it that old school look.
I have made an interesting tool. A blow poke. The tool is made of a piece of pipe with a metal hook added to help moving embers and wood around the oven.
The pipe also allows you to blow on the fire to help it get started. The best part about it is that you will not singe your eyebrows when you do it. the blow poke allows you to stay 4 feet away. I have put more info on a post in the tools section and you can always see more on the blog listed below.
So check it out and let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina-dsc_0237.jpg   36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina-dsc_0238.jpg  

Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Peasant

Tile is Going Up on the Outside

This week was a fun one at the pizza oven. I got to put the tile on the outside and an almost finished with the whole thing.
I had the tile waiting in a pile for just the right project and this was it.
I had applied the stucco so that the sides were relatively flat, and smooth. OK I was not exactly flat and smooth but I thought I could make it work. The mastic went on well and the tile stuck just fine. I know there are some thick joints here and there, but I could not believe how hard it was to get the cuts just right where you want them. I have cut the whole thing with an angle grinder. It would be nicer with a tile saw…but no tile saw and I needed to move on.
So I cut them and applied them without any problems. The front decorative pieces went on easier than ever expected. They are on sale pieces from Lowe’s, so they were half price. Nice![/FONT]Well I am moving on to the roof now. The vintage slate will finish the look and give it a nice old world feel. As always, I’ll let you know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina-dsc_0238.jpg   36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina-dsc_0237.jpg   36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina-dsc_0236.jpg   36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina-dsc_0235.jpg  

Old 07-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Apprentice

That looks epic! Haven't seen anything like that before. Can't wait to see it all finished!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Peasant

Well the time has arrived and the oven is finished.

Well almost. It will always need something, or I will want to add something, or I will remake something when I get a new idea. But that is just the way I am.
Well enough of that…

I went out and started working on the roofing last week. I had to install the vintage slate roofing tiles for the finishing touch.

I prepped the roof area by adding some stucco to level out the surface and allow the rows of tiles to be laid into the wet surface. I wanted to have a bond of some kind between the stucco and the tiles to help them stay in place. I also add aluminum roofing nails through the slate’s nail holes and into the wet stucco for extra support when it cured.

The roof went up pretty fast and was relatively easy to do. Even in 100 degree heat. I imagine some of the truest of bricklayers may have a problem with how it is done… but I think it turned out well and seems to be ok for now.

All I have to do now is:
1) add a horizontal row of slate at the top of the eve to cover the nails.
2) cut the firebrick I am using for the outside of the hearth.
3) maybe some stucco on the block base.
4) build some killer looking hinges and oak doors for the storage space underneath.
5) paint the base section.
OK… maybe I do have some more to do. But not before the pizza starts flowing from the oven.

Bring on the parties!

I will add some more photos when I get it all cleaned up and fixed.

PS. my wife’s list includes some more color in the concrete patio area, a gazebo with heat and AC, running water, hot tub and on and on and on….I will have deal with all that later.
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina-dsc_0235.jpg   36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina-dsc_0239.jpg