Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" Pompeii in DC

Gudday
Try using a metal paint stirrer on your electric drill to mix small amounts it makes mixing a batch easy
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Apprentice

I've been working on the oven a little bit each evening, and I finished course 2 just now. I'm still having a heck of a time with buttering; even with spraying the previous course like crazy, soaking the brick being laid, and having the mortar downright runny, the stuff is still too dry to squish mere seconds after being spread. Frustrating! I'm getting a little better--figured out that part of the trick is spreading just slightly more mortar than is needed (reducing the amount of required squishing), using the previous brick as a guide. Also tonight I tried wetting the previous course be draping a soaking wet towel on it. This worked okay, and will likely work better when there's more room for it.

Pictures attached. Combination of mortar problems, IT problems, and the addition of bevel cuts on this course made things a bit sloppier. I think it will hold though :-).

BTW, how long does the homebrew take to set fully? I'm wondering when it's safe to take the arch form out.

-Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-img_6641.jpg   36" Pompeii in DC-img_6642.jpg   36" Pompeii in DC-img_6644.jpg   36" Pompeii in DC-img_6645.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: 36" Pompeii in DC

That looks really good. Nice start and setup. Tight joints and a nice arch.
What trowel are you using to butter with? I used this 7"brick trowel and a margin trowel to mix with. The 7" makes it much easier.
Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-7trowel.jpg  

Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

homebrew will set overnight enough to hold that arch

looking good. just follow that IT!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Apprentice

Tracy, DJ, thanks! I've been using a 7" "pointing trowel", which looks a lot like Tracy's picture. The trowel is great; it's the mortar that gives me grief . I'll get the hang of it sooner or later. Probably just as I'm closing up the dome.

Took out the arch form this evening. It stands! After I put the little one to be tonight, time to start cutting bricks for course 3.
Cheers,
-Ryan
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandler View Post
Tracy, DJ, thanks! I've been using a 7" "pointing trowel", which looks a lot like Tracy's picture. The trowel is great; it's the mortar that gives me grief . I'll get the hang of it sooner or later. Probably just as I'm closing up the dome.

Took out the arch form this evening. It stands! After I put the little one to be tonight, time to start cutting bricks for course 3.
Cheers,
-Ryan
Ryan,

I am not trying to be critical with the following statement but it is meant to help others who decide to build a similar arch to the style you built.

With the Arch shape you used and the bevel on the dome contact points you will still be fighting a slight tear drop or egg shape where the dome meets the arch, You will need to be aware of this as you add courses and work hard to try and keep the dome round near the arch. It can be accomplished and based on your apparent skills you will be able to do it.

The bevels you put on will help over designs that leave the inner arch bricks square, but for others trying to use this technique as the inner arch rises it should also go further and further into the center of the oven so that the bottom edge of the bevel matches the inside of the dome. this is easily determined if you are using an IT.

If you check edge of the bevel of your top arch brick on the low part of the bevel to the IT you will find that the arch is outside of where the inner surface of the dome will naturally want to be.

I am guessing if you set up your IT and align it with the top brick of the arch you will find something like the drawing (Black lines). The dome brick will want to be inside the bevel so you will need to adjust the cutting of your dome bricks to compensate.

For others that are interested in this reaching technique the arch bricks need to be cut to the colored line to compensate for the dome moving in as it moves up. The distance the brick moves in (becomes longer) increases with elevation. In my case the first brick of my inner arch was 5 inches long and the last was over 8 inches long.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-arch.jpg  
Lburou and gb2010 like this.

Last edited by mrchipster; 10-18-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandler View Post
Tracy, DJ, thanks! I've been using a 7" "pointing trowel", which looks a lot like Tracy's picture. The trowel is great; ,
-Ryan
In my opinion, I believe that a pointing trowel is designed so that masonry can easily scoop mortar and throw on top of the brick. However, when it comes to mortaring up the dome of the WFO, we usually to butter up the two side of the firebrick and put it in place. But cutting the trowel, I find that it's more efficient to work with the mortar because I find it is hard to scoop mortar with a pointing trowel from a smaller bucket since we usually mixed a smaller batch of mortar for mortaring up the dome. In addition, it is easier to butter the mortar on the brick as well. Margin trowel is not wide enough. In addition, this eliminates of using the plywood to hold the mortar. Keeping mortar in a plastic bucket help it stay workable longer because plywood tend to suck moisture out of mortar which make it harder to work with. Just want to put in my two cents. Looking very good so far.
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-97ee8dcf-a668-4b27-864a-d39f6a6c2f38_300.jpg   36" Pompeii in DC-cut-trowel.jpg  
Lburou likes this.

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Last edited by banhxeo76; 12-14-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: 36" Pompeii in DC

FWIW
I cut the bottom off of a 5 gal bucket to leave about a 4-5" deep bucket. I mix the mortar batch in that using a margin trowel and then transfer the mix to a piece of plywood where you can work the mortar and makes it really easy to load the brick trowel and keep the batch consistent as you lay the brick. Use the spray bottle to temper the mortar to the consistency you prefer once on the board and keep turning it over. HTH
Tracy

Old 10-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Apprentice

Spot board technique is best, like Tracy says, it allows you to work up the mortar a little if needed before use. You can get a "bucket trowel" too if needed. They are squared off at the end ready for use.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used a combination of a margin trowel, 3 inch drywall patching knife, and a silicone household cooking spatula. My mortar bowl was a stainless mixing bowl. In photo lower left. The bottle is hand lotion to keep my hands baby soft.

Brickie you have already commented on the hand lotion.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-img_0451.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 10-19-2012 at 06:57 PM.