Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" Pompeii in DC

There is no need to use stainless. Mild steel works just fine, and is probably cheaper than SS needles. It will cost you less than $30, and you can probably scrounge something even cheaper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
There is no need to use stainless. Mild steel works just fine, and is probably cheaper than SS needles. It will cost you less than $30, and you can probably scrounge something even cheaper
I agree just make sure it is not galvanized and not painted.

Chip
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Apprentice

Hmm, maybe I'll look a little more for plain steel. Best price I could find for a piece of stainless was an offcut from a local fabricator $35, and would require figuring out how to actually get there during business hours (a huge pain). Lowes seems to have a 2'x3' sheet of 28ga plain steel, but I feel like that's probably going to be too floppy--same problem as I had with the aluminum.

This is making me tempted to take my angle grinder to the old, unused gas dryer in my basement which came with the house and has remained because it probably won't fit out the door...probably isn't steel anyway.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandler View Post
Hmm, maybe I'll look a little more for plain steel. Best price I could find for a piece of stainless was an offcut from a local fabricator $35, and would require figuring out how to actually get there during business hours (a huge pain). Lowes seems to have a 2'x3' sheet of 28ga plain steel, but I feel like that's probably going to be too floppy--same problem as I had with the aluminum.

This is making me tempted to take my angle grinder to the old, unused gas dryer in my basement which came with the house and has remained because it probably won't fit out the door...probably isn't steel anyway.
If a refrigerator magnet sticks to it it is steel.

Chip
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would use at least 16 gauge. There are probably several metal resellers in the area. There is one called Potomac Steel that I found without looking too hard. Or you could order from Online Metals, although I am not sure about the shipping as their location is right down the hill from me so I get the metal will-call

Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Apprentice

if you live in an area which has BIG item trash pickup day, perhaps you could find a stainless steel stove front...with high temp glass included. or if you have a place you can take recycled plastic, glass, etc. they might also have a piece of stainless you could get for nothing. i'd be careful of a dryer front as these typically are baked enamel steel designed for light dings and easy cleaning, not high temperatures. you could have baked enamel popping of in your food.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Apprentice

Chip: Heh, maybe I'll give it a magnet test when I get home.

DJ: Online metals might be an option, though the shipping costs more than the metal for a 2'x2' piece :P.

Kanoer54: Hmm, good point about the enamel. Wonder if I could find one of these guys that picks up scrap metal and offer to trade? Trouble with waiting for a large item pickup day is that I really need some kind of solution, if only a quick fix, ASAP, as I want to keep using my oven in the meanwhile, and my cracked door is worrying me...
Old 05-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some SSs are slightly magnetic and will rust, 316 is not magnetic and will not rust either. But any SS would work and even CS is a good option. Scounging, if you are up to it, is like a treasure hunt sometimes. I picked up a side panel of 316 SS on a medical cabinet for free and using it for my door.
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-ss.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Apprentice

a dryer is a good source of free metal and less to haul out of your basement. if you do decide to use your dryer door, it would be a good idea to grind off all of the baked enamel paint before you start bending and fabrication. i think the baked enamel is only on the outside. the inside is usually just a primer or lesser grade baked enamel. but otherwise a free source of good metal.

on the stove door idea, i have an ancient self cleaning oven with a SS door and was thinking about re-using the door and glass for a WFO door but not sure of the temperature aspect. i know the self cleaning feature heats up to around 650F or so, but not sure it would work on a WFO door. any thoughts or ideas from anyone?

( i have been following this site for a couple months and am working on acquiring all the materials, IT, wet saw with miter, arch templates, etc. Have been working on the plans and am really anxious to get started in the next couple weeks.)
Old 05-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoer54 View Post
on the stove door idea, i have an ancient self cleaning oven with a SS door and was thinking about re-using the door and glass for a WFO door but not sure of the temperature aspect. i know the self cleaning feature heats up to around 650F or so, but not sure it would work on a WFO door. any thoughts or ideas from anyone?
The glass would be great for a baking door but I would use fully insulated for trying to retain heat. I used a Pyrex frying pan lid as the window for my baking door. Baking temps (below 600) seem to be no problem for the glass.

I do not use it when there is a live fire.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-image.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 05-21-2013 at 12:57 PM.