Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 36" Pompeii in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Still seems like you could flip the brick front to back
There probably was a way, but I messed with it a while and couldn't find one. I did end up finding a work-around, where I cut several bricks as far as they would go, then raised the blade way up and stood the brick on end to cut the bit that I couldn't get lying down. I tried to cut the angle so that I wasn't tapering the whole brick, just as much as the saw could cut through. In practice I ended up with some lips, which I mostly decided to ignore. The face with the mortar joint doesn't need to look pretty!
Old 11-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Apprentice

Finished the 11th full course yesterday (not counting the soldiers), and, upon determining that another full height course was just not going to fit, set about cutting a three-piece plug:

I actually ended up removing the mortar today as I continued to trim the plug to fit, and realized that the 1/4" of the two mortar joints was most of what was standing between me and being done with the silly thing. The pieces fit so snugly that I had a hard time getting them back out after the last fitting, so the lack of mortar between them shouldn't be a problem. I could have mortared in the plug today, but I decided last week that I would make the plug but wait until Thanksgiving to put it in. Seemed festive .

Finishing the last course also meant finally removing my long-suffering, low-budget Indispensible Tool, which looks a little worse for wear now. To give you a sense,
Before:

After:

A couple more pictures of the finished course attached.
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-img_6993.jpg   36" Pompeii in DC-img_6995.jpg  
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Apprentice

Went out before work and picked up three rolls of insulating blanket from the local HVAC store. I somewhat accidentally managed to bargain for a good price on them too. Before I headed out, I checked the price with shipping to get 3 rolls of FB Blanket from our host, and worked out that it would be about $350. Got to the store, found that they were charging about $200 (!) per roll for 1" Inswool. I kept saying (honestly) that I'd rather just order it from FB, and the guy at the store kept coming down in price, until he offered all three rolls for $350. Also picked up some ceramic moldable caulk to use for a heat break between my entry and vent arches.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Apprentice

Haven't had a chance to make a post in a few days, and a lot has happened. First and foremost, *drumroll*

the dome is done!

I got off early on Wednesday ("early release" they call it, I guess for good behavior?) and placed the capstone while my wife and in-laws looked on.

Since this was only moderately exciting for the audience, I followed up with the comedy section of the afternoon and cleaned up some remaining mortar from the inside of the oven.

Totally stoked to have finished, and to have done it by my crazy goal of Thanksgiving. And many thanks to the folks on the forum for all the help--I intend to keep asking for more as I work on the chimney, enclosure, counters etc.

Cheers!
-Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-img_7033.jpg   36" Pompeii in DC-img_7035.jpg   36" Pompeii in DC-img_7038.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is a nice feeling of accomplishment when the plug goes in. Congrats and nice looking inside.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Apprentice

After closing the dome on Wednesday, while my in-laws went out sight-seeing, I started working on my vent arch. This ended up being a bit more work than I expected, and I ended up having to finish it in the evening, and left s-curve for the chimney incomplete.

Thanksgiving morning, I took a few minutes to remove the forms, and clean up the mortar from the arches and the debris from around the oven. To my everlasting surprise, the arches stayed up!

Today, with the in-laws having gone home, I finished off the chimney base, such that it's ready for a flue to go on.

I must have mis-calculated somewhere, because instead of the opening being almost 10" across side-to-side at the top, it's only a bit over 5", giving me an opening slightly larger than 5"x6"

Still, since my oven opening is just over 200 square inches, a vent of just over 30 square inches comes to right around the 15% ratio that seems to be recommended. Given that I'm planning on putting a relatively tall flue on top of the thing (haven't figured out whether to go ceramic or stainless, round, square or what), I think/hope it will draw just fine.

If I'm wrong about that, someone let me know! I could still knock the top couple of bricks off and shave them down or something.

Cheers!
-Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-img_7041.jpg   36" Pompeii in DC-img_7110.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking vey nice, and the shirt sleeve weather is a bonus this time of year. We woke to 2 inches of snow on the grass. The snow melted off any pavement right away but the snow is still there this evening.

As you can see from the lawn mower in the back of the photo the snow was a surprise.
Chip
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-image.jpg  
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Apprentice

Well, I started curing fires this week. Started off Tuesday by burning newspaper, and slowly worked my way up through twigs, branches and logs over the next few evenings. Last night I had a couple of logs burning off and on for about 4 hours, and had the floor and walls hovering around 300 most of the time.

This morning I put the InsWool insulating blanket on and tied it down with rebar wire. At least 3" all around, with 4" in most places and 5" at the top. This was perhaps a bit pre-mature, as towards the end of todays fire (going for around 3 hours as I write this) I saw loads of steam rising off the dome. Probably would have been better to do that without the insulation in the way, but oh well.

Today's fire got a little out of control at one point, but as far as I can tell there's still no cracks. The load of firewood that we got delivered on Friday turned out to be pretty wet, so I was drying a couple logs at a time in the oven on the side away from the fire. The inevitable happened at one point, and the whole thing burst into flames, with flames licking up the vent. Broke up the fire a bit and let it die down, and eventually got it steady at around 500-550, with the dome clearing a bit at the top. Outside registered about 50 degrees, roughly ambient temperature (lovely weather for December in DC).
Attached Thumbnails
36" Pompeii in DC-img_7117.jpg   36" Pompeii in DC-img_7143.jpg   36" Pompeii in DC-img_7145.jpg  
Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Apprentice

I still haven't put a flue on my vent--picking up a few ceramic flue tiles from the local brick yard is on my to-do list. Still, I've been surprised at how well my vent has been drawing all by itself. I'd say between half to 90% of the smoke goes up the vent, depending on how smoky it is and how hot the vent has gotten. The remainder is pulled upward by the vent and generally goes over my head instead of into my face, which is a plus.

I guess technically, if you start counting from the inflection point of the vent sides, I currently have a 12" flue which narrows from 14"x6" to 5.5"x6". Not huge, and not quite big enough, but it sure makes a difference.

I'm thinking I may only need one 12" flue tile to get enough draw here, although since they're cheap I'll probably buy 3 so that I have enough. I'm reconsidering whether I actually want to build the chimney tall enough to clear the deck, as so far the deck has not gotten very smoky. I think the thing would look better with just a short flue sticking out.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: 36" Pompeii in DC

Gudday
And the good news is .....as the oven dries out and your fires get bigger ....your have hardly any smoke apart from at first lighting
Regards dave

My Build

My Door