Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs

CS,
I do have an adjustable rod and considered adjusting each course. After my simulation I had the pivot rod welded to the bottom of brick bracket. I have not had to adjust on any courses, I am on my seventh course. Yes I do have some offset; the oven has a 19.5" radius. The IT is sitting on 1" of plywood and has about a 1.5" offset from center of pivot point. My estimation is about 19" inside dome height.
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-sspx0003.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-sspx0005_copied.jpg  

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kbartman; 05-21-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
CS,
I do have an adjustable rod and considered adjusting each course. After my simulation I had the pivot rod welded to the bottom of brick bracket. I have not had to adjust on any courses, I am on my seventh course. Yes I do have some offset; the oven has a 19.5" radius. The IT is sitting on 1" of plywood and has about a 1.5" offset from center of pivot point. My estimation is about 19" inside dome height.
kbartman, thanks for bringing the offset problem to my attention.

I think I have a solution. I'll still adjust my rod to get shorter as I move up the courses (as previously planned - see 1st pic), but I'll also adjust the bracket so it's attached to the rod at the end of the rod and "offset" at the corner of the brick by a distance commensurate for the offset angle needed (see 2nd pic).
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-dome-slivers-offsets.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-dome-design-distance-offset.jpg  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs - 3rd course complete

Memorial Day weekend brings some much needed time off and good weather.

I still need to work on my joint spacing, but I guess I just get excited that progress is being made before I realize joints are on top of each other. At least this one is off to the side and most people won't see it.

3rd course complete.
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-23-3rd-course.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-24-3rd-course.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-25-3rd-course.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-26-3rd-course.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Laborer

Dana, Looks good.. nobody will see those joints unless you show them .. which will be difficult..lol Keep going.. Great weather this weekend!

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think you would need a mirror to show off that spacing, no way am I sticking my head that far in a hot oven just to see if things are perfect.
Chip
Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (4th course)

4th course complete; the oven arch is up next!
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-27-4th-course.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-28-4th-course.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-29-4th-course.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-30-4th-course.jpg  
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Laborer

looks good!

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (4th course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpringsOven View Post
4th course complete; the oven arch is up next!
As my grandmother would say, the spacing on the fourth course is "much less worse". Translation....very nice.

Chip
Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (oven arch)

got the arch done. not the cleanest, but it will work.
sort of "shaped" the inside of the arch to make courses 6-7 easier...we'll see how it turns out.
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-31-oven-arch.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-32-oven-arch-inside.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-33-oven-arch-side-profie.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (revised IT)

My IT started moving around a little, so I had to reinforce it, pretty straight forward.

I also had to revised how it's holding up the bricks, tossed the metal angle thingy aside and just using the threaded rod, seems to work just fine.

In reading other posts, it seems some have it easy keeping bricks in place, others not, thankfully once i put a brick on place (and clean up the mortar) it only takes a few seconds (10-15ish) for it to stay in place. I'm sure as I get up there in courses this might change (maybe the dry Colorado air helps). Either way, the HeatStop50 is working great so far.

And something I've found useful, I created a template out of cardstock paper to make sure the courses are following my prescribed angles.

Bottom line, all seems to be working well so for, with only minor adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-34-stabilized.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-35-revised-.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-36-tool-dome-profile.jpg