Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs - between 1st and 2nd courses

Since it looks like I'll have plenty of fire brick to complete the oven, decided to cut small slivers to put between 1st and 2nd course.

Figured it would help with the shape and use less mortar. Am using HeatStop50, the 50 lb bags.
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-18-between-1st-2nd-course.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-19-between-1st-2nd-course.jpg  
mmissler likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs - more progress, 2nd course

got the 2nd course complete; well almost, just need to cut and shape the two bricks next to the arch walls.
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-20-2nd-course-complete.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-21-2nd-course-complete.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-22-2nd-course-complete.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 04:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpringsOven View Post
got the 2nd course complete; well almost, just need to cut and shape the two bricks next to the arch walls.
In the future cut the bricks that attach to the arch first and adjust the next 2-3 bricks it is much easier than trying to make a perfect brick next to the arch because it needs to be perfect on both sides if placed last.

Chip
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs

CS,

For aesthetic purposed, do the best alignment and brick spacing on the back half with adjustments in the front half. You never see the front half after the oven is done but people are always looking in the door towards the back of the dome. Also try stagger the vertical joints. A couple are getting close where the small brick is on the back half. This is one where you could of moved it towards the front half, out of sight out of mine. Good luck.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Master Builder

Looking good CS,

You might want to consider revising your IT......Follow the my quote to my build look at the pictures you will see the cumulative effect of having the rod connecting to brick bracket on top of the brick as opposed to the center or bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
KB,

I would be concerned about the cumulative affect the offset might cause in having the brick face perpendicular to the arc of the dome. Each course will be slightly off being tangent to the arch and by time you do several courses it may cause issues. Looks like the nuts are only tack on anyway, nothing a grinder won't take care of easily. Your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post

PS. Thanks Utah for the advice, seeing is believing……. I will be modifieing the brick bracket.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 05-20-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
In the future cut the bricks that attach to the arch first and adjust the next 2-3 bricks it is much easier than trying to make a perfect brick next to the arch because it needs to be perfect on both sides if placed last.

Chip
Thanks and definitely a good point. I did this with the first course too, and was fairly easy to shape the last bricks with the wet saw and grinder. But once I start on the 3rd course I'll start near the arch.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
CS,

For aesthetic purposed, do the best alignment and brick spacing on the back half with adjustments in the front half. You never see the front half after the oven is done but people are always looking in the door towards the back of the dome. Also try stagger the vertical joints. A couple are getting close where the small brick is on the back half. This is one where you could of moved it towards the front half, out of sight out of mine. Good luck.
Another great point and I was planning on it all along, till I got started on the 2nd course and was cruise along before I realized my joints were not staggered any more. Considered ripping up a couple but figured it wasn't too bad yet.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Looking good CS,

You might want to consider revising your IT......Follow the my quote to my build look at the pictures you will see the cumulative effect of having the rod connecting to brick bracket on top of the brick as opposed to the center or bottom.

Thanks. I reviewed your posts; were there any pics/results of the cumulative offset? I only saw a discussion about a possible cumulative effect.

Attached are some design pics that I've calculated out, having the offset at the bottom and the fact that the rod is attached to the top of the bracket.

The 2nd pic isn't the best descriptoin, but the intent of the "kickout on the bottom" is to angle the brick up a little more, to keep it on profile (as indicated by the dashed gray line in the first pic). The kickout angles are the red degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-dome-profile.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-slivers-kickouts.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpringsOven View Post
Thanks. I reviewed your posts; were there any pics/results of the cumulative offset? I only saw a discussion about a possible cumulative effect.
Quote:
PS. Thanks Utah for the advice, seeing is believing……. I will be modifieing the brick bracket.
Cs,
Click on the little blue arrow in the quote next to my screen name, it will take you to the original post where you can review the pictures of the cumulative effect.

KB

Old 05-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Cs,
Click on the little blue arrow in the quote next to my screen name, it will take you to the original post where you can review the pictures of the cumulative effect.
Thanks for the clarification, you're referring to the pics attached? Did you create a dome with same radius and height, and not have an adjustable rod?

I'm using an IT that has an adjustable length rod, wouldn't that compensate for any offset needed, assuming the calculations are done right? (Like in the first diagram on my previous post, "lengths" are noted in the upprer right corner.)
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-kbartman-1.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-kbartman-2.jpg