Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (4th burn - with question)

A little more progress.

1st and 2nd burns were just with sterno flames (2, then 4), made it to about 150deg and 180 deg. 3rd burn (no pics) was with real wood and made it to about 250deg.

4th burn was tonight, a little more wood and made it to about 350 deg. Think I'm on a good glide path. First pic is the fire and third pic includes the flue I placed on top. Flue isn't cemented in yet, just wanted it there to see how it drew (pretty good) and have the chimney cap on just in case.

Question for the experts. The 2nd pic highlights a couple of the bricks (circled in black) in the vent area, which shows result after burn #3. Why are the highlighted bricks so much darker than the other ones? Is it oxidation? heat reside?
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-101-4th-burn.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-102-4th-burn-bricks.jpg   36" oven in Colorado Springs-103-4th-burn.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs

Just as exciting, in the side counter, was able to install the gas grill and side burner. Everything's coming together!

Doors below the grill are forthcoming....
Attached Thumbnails
36" oven in Colorado Springs-104-side-counter-grill.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

probably smart not to run natural gas to the grill. I spent hundreds of dollars having pipe run (it $$ a foot and you can't buy it unless you have a license) and the BBQ doesn't get as hot as propane does. Fortunately, I have a pizza oven right next to it that gets plenty hot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" oven in Colorado Springs (4th burn - with question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpringsOven View Post
A little more progress.

Why are the highlighted bricks so much darker than the other ones? Is it oxidation? heat reside?
My best guess is that the bricks came from different runs. Probably formed at different times from slightly varying clays.

EDIT: I added this in agreement with K79's post below. I think the different colored brick look great and add character.

Last edited by Gulf; 07-12-2013 at 06:44 AM. Reason: added statement
Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey DJ,

On your natural gas BBQ did you get the orifice changed or drilled out for natural gas? I actually work for a natural gas company and yes propane burns hotter hence smaller orifice holes, natural gas require larger orifices to get the same BTU content. Most BBQs come with propane orifices stock. Just a thought.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Journeyman

I wouldn't worry at all about the different color bricks. Looks good if you ask me. I'm curious though... you light all that wood in your oven and you only reached 350 degrees? How long did you hold your previous temps?
Gulf likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Hey DJ,

On your natural gas BBQ did you get the orifice changed or drilled out for natural gas? I actually work for a natural gas company and yes propane burns hotter hence smaller orifice holes, natural gas require larger orifices to get the same BTU content. Most BBQs come with propane orifices stock. Just a thought.
When I bought the grill it came in a propane version and natural gas (line) version. I bought the propane version and had a quallified tech hook it up and got it running, so I'm guess I'm good to go.

Thanks for the tip though.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Hey DJ,

The grill came set up for NG, so I did not have to change it out, but still find I can't get as hot as propane seems to get. Not sure why not. My brother's oven has the same problem. I bought an AOG - which is a pretty nice grill - but it doesn't sear like I think it should.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
I wouldn't worry at all about the different color bricks. Looks good if you ask me. I'm curious though... you light all that wood in your oven and you only reached 350 degrees? How long did you hold your previous temps?

Thanks K79, I'm not worried about the color variation (unless it causes a problem). I asked the initial question as to why it happend, just curious about the science behind it, and if anyone else has seen that happen.

For the wood amount and temp question, I had to knock down the fire about half way into it because it was getting pretty big (prob used too much wood to start, but hey, I'm just experimenting) and didn't want it to get too hot. And the 350 deg was just an average, I might have had some hotter spots here and there, but guessed 350 was an avg.

How long was previous temp, for the 3rd burn (1st with real wood), it was still about 100 deg the next day, so I should have ample heat retention once I get her going. Will have to check tonight what temp the oven is still at.

Thanks for all input/tips.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
probably smart not to run natural gas to the grill. I spent hundreds of dollars having pipe run (it $$ a foot and you can't buy it unless you have a license) and the BBQ doesn't get as hot as propane does. Fortunately, I have a pizza oven right next to it that gets plenty hot!
yeah, I didn't want to bother with cost and added difficulty (permits) with natural gas. plus I have the grill and side burner, so the odds both propane tanks run out at the same time is very unlikely.