Old 09-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

We have now installed the Casa oven on top of the island hearth. It does take a little more effort, but I am feeling very good about how it is going to perform thermally. I can feel it in my bones. You can visualize how the entire oven is going to be enclosed in vermiculite.

In terms of expansion, the Precast ovens leave a definite gap between the floor and walls. If you do cut your floor, give it room, or it will push out.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Journeyman

Default cad drawings

hey buddy, would it be possible to ssend me a dxf file of your cad layout for my architect? There may be a free slice of pizza in it for you..
Old 05-18-2006, 05:47 AM
Serf

Default great drawings, chimeny question

the cad drawings were very helpful in visualizing the intersection of the rings to the chimney arch. in the arch building, did you build an opening for the chimney?

do you think that cutting out (with a skill saw and diamond blade) an opening for the chimney would work? we thought that using a staggered building design would increase the strength of the arch and we would cut out a 8" by 6" (or whatever terra cotta chimney dimensions are).
Old 05-18-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Oops

I didn't know this post was intended for me! It's an old thread.

I uploaded the dxf file to my website:

http://arcadianclock.com/everything/chimney/pompeii.dxf

depending on how your browser handles non-web files, it might save the document to your desktop, or it might display a long text file. If so, copy the text, paste it in a notepad type utility, and save it as "name.dxf"

Note to civilians: unless you have a 3-D CAD application that imports DXF files, you're out of luck on this file.

The drawing is sloppy, each layer is ofset 60 inches, for brick counting. You can re-assemble the oven by moving the layers 5 feet each in the X negative direction.

David
Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 36 inch pompeii cad layout

I really appreciate you making your DXF available but, I tried the link and it doesn't work. Could you repost it or email to me? I'll take the native files if you can. I'm using the AutoCAD 3D version 2010.

Thanks, Bob
Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 AM

Boy that's an old message. It's a crude drawing, too. Your wish is my command, the link is active again. If you are on a windows computer you may have to copy the text, paste it into wordpad, save it as "pompeii.dxf" in the appropriate place(.dxf files are just ascii text), then you should be able to import it in your cad system. The version of DXF is R-14 if it makes a difference.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Laborer

Thanks, I'll try it tonight and let you know how I make out.
Also, could you please check out my post here and comment.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/i...ring-6962.html (Insulation question - loose or solid vermiculite covering?)

Thanks, Bob
Old 06-11-2009, 03:02 PM

This is the first I've heard of packing vermiculite. It's used for shipping liquids, with the idea that it will absorb the liquid if the bottle breaks. Clever. Since it's used for shipping lab supplies, I assume it's very pure.

VERMICULITE SPEC 1/2 AND spec 3/4 for LAB PACKING---SCHUNDLER PRODUCT GUIDE

The only vermiculite we've been warned about is the silicone treated stuff used for domestic insulation. This seems fine.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the response,

I called Uline and they have notes for the product not shown online that states that it can be used in Landscaping and Gardening and as Insulation.

I can get some from someone locally about half the price of the online store Uline has.

Grade 4 means coarse particles in size, I think.... I've been surfing the net and looking.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used packing vermiculite from Uline for my cement/vermiculite insulation and it worked great. No problems other than the fact that shipping is nontrivial. While Uline is more expensive than some other bulk sources it is vastly cheaper than quart bags at Home Depot or Lowes!

And delivery was fast!
Jay