Old 08-15-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Lower rings

Here are the lower rings, which end at the entry walls. Some trimming of the end bricks may be indicated.

The brick counts:

Ring one 10.5
Ring two 10
Ring three 9.5
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-1st_ring.jpg   36 inch pompeii cad layout-2nd_ring.jpg   36 inch pompeii cad layout-3rd_ring.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Upper rings

The 4th ring is where the arch intersects the oven, and some fancy cutting may be needed to create a smooth transition.

The fifth and six rings will need either trimming or a small brick inserted to line up evenly.

Brick counts:

Ring 4 10 bricks
Ring 5 9.5 bricks
Ring 6 7.5 bricks
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-4th_ring.jpg   36 inch pompeii cad layout-5th_ring.jpg   36 inch pompeii cad layout-6th_ring.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Last ring and cap

As previously mentioned, the last ring has exactly 12 half bricks. This is so that the x-shaped cap center will be supported by a flat brick on each side. Each corner of the "x" will have a custom cut brick to fill the hole.

Brick counts:

Ring 7 6 bricks
Cap 9 bricks
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-7th_ring.jpg   36 inch pompeii cad layout-cap.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Arch construction

I have drawn the arch-form bricks that Paulages found for his oven. I am alternating the two least tapered sizes to get the radius that I want. This goes from the height of one brick on end at the far edges to the desired height of 14 inches at the center I was tempted to taper the entire arch at the thirty degrees, but I thought this was asking for heat loss and smoke leakage. I haven't detailed the smoke chamber-to-flue transition. I assume some sort of funnel shape is indicated. I am likely to build this out of split (thin) fire bricks.

Brick count: 44 special tapered arch firebricks, or less, depending on the width of the smoke chamber.

The brick total so far:

171 standard bricks
44 special tapered bricks
an unknown number of splits for the smoke chamber.

As always, beware the advice of someone who doesn't have practical experience. I've done some brickwork, but never built an oven.

David
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-arch.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun
As always, beware the advice of someone who doesn't have practical experience. I've done some brickwork, but never built an oven.
Looks great. One thing to consider before you commit this to brick is to account for the mortar joint between the bricks. For the rings that's not a problem as the mortar doesn't intrude between the touching edges, but it does affect your flat bricks for the flue walls. Where you've got several bricks laying on edge butting against a vertical brick remember that 2 flat bricks with mortar between them will be taller than the single vertical even though the edge measurement is 1/2 the height of a brick. You can stack 2 on their side and they'll fit evenly with the one standing tall both with brick & with CAD but not once you add mortar to hold them in place.

Jim
Old 08-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Serf

Smile Like the design.

Hi, Like the design, in fact that is exactly how I am going to do my oven, love to see your clouser for the flute.

Thank you.

Fabio.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Dmun,

Nice work. Did you say which program you used for the modeling? Really nice.

Can I double check this. You have a 36" interior oven, and have 171 bricks in the dome and cooking floor, and 44 tapered bricks for the vent arch. Is that right?

Can you say how many bricks went into the dome and how many into the floor? I can take your counts, and retro-fit them into the main set of plans for the material list for the 36" oven.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:53 AM

This part of the thread starts with message #9, the floor. I show 69 bricks. This is without cutting bricks except at the front. I am increasingly convinced that the floor and the slab below it should be insulated on the sides as well as the bottom, as discussed in the "island hearth" discussion, and cutting the floor to the size of the outside of the dome allows less thermal mass to heat up with each firing. Cutting bricks would allow some half bricks to use elsewhere, and reduce the brick count.

I use Ashlar Vellum as my CAD application. CAD programs are like languages: Everyone thinks their's is best, and no one can understand anyone else's. Any 3D cad should do the job, it's just that Vellum, with it's drawing assistant, is easier to use. If I were just starting CAD, I'd most likely learn Autocad, as that's pretty much the industry standard. All the good CAD programs, those with 6 digit accuracy, are expensive.

David
Old 09-09-2005, 07:27 AM

Default All the layers together

In order to make my Avatar, I finally put all the layers of the oven together and cleaned them up. Here's the full size drawing:
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-avatar.jpg  
Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Journeyman

as the guinea pig of the cut floor method (though round pre-fab floors are apparently used commonly in pre-made ovens), i must warn you that i haven't proven whether or not floor brick expansion against the walls is a problem or not.

i certainly had some unexplained expansion of wall joints, particularly where a seam lined up from one course to the one above it (even if you start each course with the seams opposing the previous, the smaller diameter of the newer course means that somewhere along it, the vertical seams will start to get closer...anyone else have this problem? mine was particularly bad between the 1st and 2nd course...). granted, my dome hasn't collapsed or anything (knock on wood), but it has also only been fully fired a dozen and a half times or so.

i have done temperature readings, and though i have nothing to compare them with, there is certainly a lower temperature on the outside walls below where they butt up against the floor, compared to the rest of the dome. to me, this indicates that the floor is indeed acting as a barrier from the direct, intense heat of the interior of the oven. regardless, it's probably a fairly negligible difference. my dome is fairly well insulated now, so it's a bit hard to conduct much more testing, unfortunately.

i would, however, highly reccomend the island hearth. perhaps james' new oven (are you and jim working on this one together, james?) with the island hearth will give us some new hearth temperature data.