Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 265
Default Re: 36" or 42"

If you could only find a person who has both 36" and 42"...Most everyone loves their oven and thinks it is the perfect size for them. I built a 42 inch and it is the perfect size and would not want it any smaller. On the other hand, if I had built a 36", I probably would have said the 36" is perfect and I wouldnt want it any bigger.

Point is, no matter which way you go, you will most likely be happy with it....
david s likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Folsom, Ca
Posts: 192
Default Re: 36" or 42"

My first oven was a 34" precast oven kit - my second (current) oven is a 42" Pompeii.

Hands down - I like the 42" and would not go back to a smaller oven. I've got plenty of room for a fire and two nice 14" pies at the same time. I couldn't do that with my 34" - and don't think you can with a 36" either.

Anyway - I cooked with the 34" for two years - and have had the 42" for two years - and really enjoy the 42".

my 34" http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...tml#post110571 (Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.)



my 42" http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ch...tml#post140577 (Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.)

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Laborer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Athens, WI
Posts: 75
Default Re: 36" or 42"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeppiper View Post
If you could only find a person who has both 36" and 42"...Most everyone loves their oven and thinks it is the perfect size for them. I built a 42 inch and it is the perfect size and would not want it any smaller. On the other hand, if I had built a 36", I probably would have said the 36" is perfect and I wouldnt want it any bigger.

Point is, no matter which way you go, you will most likely be happy with it....
Good one jeeppiper. It's good that someone starts a thread on this subject every now and then.....gives everyone a chance to post an opinion agian.

~Aaron
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 AM
Aegis's Avatar
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southbury Ct. USA
Posts: 433
Default Re: 36" or 42"

I Agree with everyone! LOL I have a 42" Pompeii and love it! I do have plenty of room to work a couple of Pizza's at once. A 36" oven I can imagine would be able to handle at least two pies without trouble. They cook so fast it can become a mute point for more than two pies at once. Unless you are going commercial. Define for yourself how you want to use the oven, that is the hardest part. Not having an oven, you can only imagine how you are going to use it. The range goes from having a few pizza's once or twice a week, to using the oven for cooking over a four or five day period. The difference in 36 vs 42 is not only physical dimensions of interior volume, but also thermal mass. A 36" oven with 2.6" walls/floor and minimum insulation would be great for a quick heat up and throw a couple of pies in for a great pizza party! A 36" with 4.5" walls/floor added refractory concrete and HEAVY insulation will take a bit more wood and heat up time, but you will have lots of pizza(800F), bake bread the next day(550F), Cook chicken or casseroles(375F),then slow cook Lamb, Prime Rib, pork shoulder etc. (260F) So you have four days of cooking and then I load up the oven when it it down to 140F with wood for the next burn. So either will work for however you want to use it. You just need to build it that way. As an aside note I have had times when I have only had Pizza and do not have the oven saturated fully with heat. I just bring it up to 900F and then move the fire over to the side, clean the floor and by the time I am putting pies on the hearth it is down to 750-800F and pies are cooking perfectly! I just keep the side fire a little hotter, than when I have ful saturation.
__________________
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 716
Default Re: 36" or 42"

^ Beautiful, wow. I would love to hang out there.


This may sound weird but its going thru my mind if i would rather build a 40" instead of a 42" oven. Space is not an issue, neither is money or materials. I know for sure even a 38"-40" would be enough for me. Would a 40" oven take a noticeable less amount of wood to heat up the oven. I know the difference is VERY little but lets see what you guys have to say? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
K79's Avatar
K79 K79 is offline
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 389
Default Re: 36" or 42"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryKeith View Post
You must have built a 36". Don't have dome envy. Maybe 30-40 extra bricks at a couple bucks a peice for an added 36.11% increase in floor sapce. Also I use 10 peices of almond wood to get my oven to temp and it keeps because of the efficiency of the insulation. K79 dont cut corners on something you will probably use for the rest of your life. Plus you guys in Maine must be rich, look at how much lobster you eat. Bigger is better. At least that's what my wife says.
Thanks for the info guys. I'll need to think it over and discuss with my wife. By the way, up here in Maine we take the lobster off the boat, start a fire on the beach, put it out and wrap a crate of lobster in seaweed and put it right on the coals. Best way to have it !!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
K79's Avatar
K79 K79 is offline
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 389
Default Re: 36" or 42"

[QUOTE=Aegis;145861]I Agree with everyone! LOL I have a 42" Pompeii and love it! I do have plenty of room to work a couple of Pizza's at once. A 36" oven I can imagine would be able to handle at least two pies without trouble. They cook so fast it can become a mute point for more than two pies at once. Unless you are going commercial. Define for yourself how you want to use the oven, that is the hardest part. Not having an oven, you can only imagine how you are going to use it. The range goes from having a few pizza's once or twice a week, to using the oven for cooking over a four or five day period. The difference in 36 vs 42 is not only physical dimensions of interior volume, but also thermal mass. A 36" oven with 2.6" walls/floor and minimum insulation would be great for a quick heat up and throw a couple of pies in for a great pizza party! A 36" with 4.5" walls/floor added refractory concrete and HEAVY insulation will take a bit more wood and heat up time, but you will have lots of pizza(800F), bake bread the next day(550F), Cook chicken or casseroles(375F),then slow cook Lamb, Prime Rib, pork shoulder etc. (260F) So you have four days of cooking and then I load up the oven when it it down to 140F with wood for the next burn. So either will work for however you want to use it. You just need to build it that way. As an aside note I have had times when I have only had Pizza and do not have the oven saturated fully with heat. I just bring it up to 900F and then move the fire over to the side, clean the floor and by the time I am putting pies on the hearth it is down to 750-800F and pies are cooking perfectly! I just keep the side fire a little hotter, than when I have ful saturation.QUOTE]

I absolutely love your table you have extending out of your oven. I might have to do the same
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Aegis's Avatar
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southbury Ct. USA
Posts: 433
Default Re: 36" or 42"

I really wish I had one of those on both sides of the oven! It is more of a necessity than a architectural detail. Next build I will have two counters!
__________________
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Aegis's Avatar
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southbury Ct. USA
Posts: 433
Default Re: 36" or 42"

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
^ Beautiful, wow. I would love to hang out there.


This may sound weird but its going thru my mind if i would rather build a 40" instead of a 42" oven. Space is not an issue, neither is money or materials. I know for sure even a 38"-40" would be enough for me. Would a 40" oven take a noticeable less amount of wood to heat up the oven. I know the difference is VERY little but lets see what you guys have to say? Thanks.
Answer this question first... will you be making only pizza or pizza and bread or pizza bread and other cooking? After using my oven for some time now, the best answer I could give is as follows: "it is all about thermal mass"
Pizza only - 38"- 40" built with small firebricks (8 1/4 inch cut in half) minimum insulation,(amount recommended in pompeii plans) would make a wonderful pizza oven. Little firewood, quick to get to temp and pizza galore.
Pizza and single batch of bread the next day - 38" 42" built with large firebricks (9 inch bricks cut in half) Lots of additional insulation and possibly a heat break between your oven and vent/landing area. An insulated door is a must! You may use a little more wood in order to get it up to pizza temps, but while you are cooking pizza you still have a fire going and are thoroughly saturating the dome for the next day's bread baking. So not a lot of "wasted wood" or heat loss. Would you use more wood here - yes
Pizza, multi-batch of bread and cooking a third and possibly a forth day - 38"- 42" dome built with large firebricks and add one inch of firebrick/concrete to the entire dome. (firebrick concrete is heat stop mortar or home brew mixed with the chips and fragments of firebricks you cut during the dome build. The pieces can be large or small, it just cuts down on the amount of plain mortar you use for cladding and gives it some resistance to cracking) Super insulate the dome and hearth, I would use 6 inch foamglas under the hearth and as much Kaowool or other brand of insulation on the dome and then I added loose vermiculite on top of the dome, to fill up the inside of the protective structure. You will use more wood to saturate the added thermal mass, but you will be able to cook for four days. It does not hurt to use the "super insulation method" on any of the designs, it is just more costly. It would be a waste of money and resources on a pizza only oven but not on any oven you will be baking with the next day.
I hope this helps answer you question. Good luck!
ATK406 likes this.
__________________
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 716
Default Re: 36" or 42"

Wow thanks, yes that does help, i plan on doing pizza, sometimes bread (i have no knowledge about this) roasts, grilling, a whole pig and lamb, large slabs of meat ( i am a meat guy) and any other cooling. So its seems like i will be building a 40" oven with lots if insulation

Thanks a lot


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Answer this question first... will you be making only pizza or pizza and bread or pizza bread and other cooking? After using my oven for some time now, the best answer I could give is as follows: "it is all about thermal mass"
Pizza only - 38"- 40" built with small firebricks (8 1/4 inch cut in half) minimum insulation,(amount recommended in pompeii plans) would make a wonderful pizza oven. Little firewood, quick to get to temp and pizza galore.
Pizza and single batch of bread the next day - 38" 42" built with large firebricks (9 inch bricks cut in half) Lots of additional insulation and possibly a heat break between your oven and vent/landing area. An insulated door is a must! You may use a little more wood in order to get it up to pizza temps, but while you are cooking pizza you still have a fire going and are thoroughly saturating the dome for the next day's bread baking. So not a lot of "wasted wood" or heat loss. Would you use more wood here - yes
Pizza, multi-batch of bread and cooking a third and possibly a forth day - 38"- 42" dome built with large firebricks and add one inch of firebrick/concrete to the entire dome. (firebrick concrete is heat stop mortar or home brew mixed with the chips and fragments of firebricks you cut during the dome build. The pieces can be large or small, it just cuts down on the amount of plain mortar you use for cladding and gives it some resistance to cracking) Super insulate the dome and hearth, I would use 6 inch foamglas under the hearth and as much Kaowool or other brand of insulation on the dome and then I added loose vermiculite on top of the dome, to fill up the inside of the protective structure. You will use more wood to saturate the added thermal mass, but you will be able to cook for four days. It does not hurt to use the "super insulation method" on any of the designs, it is just more costly. It would be a waste of money and resources on a pizza only oven but not on any oven you will be baking with the next day.
I hope this helps answer you question. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perth 42" Pompeii - dome to flat entry integration jab49 Pompeii Oven Construction 20 07-07-2012 12:03 AM
36" vs. 42" COLORADO PIZZA GUY Modular Refractory Oven Installation 12 11-21-2011 10:10 AM
Damian's 42" Pompeii Damian Pompeii Oven Construction 3 09-26-2009 12:00 AM
36" vs 42" blacknoir Pompeii Oven Construction 20 08-05-2009 04:13 AM
vent size for a 36" internal tuscan? waynebergman Pompeii Oven Construction 4 12-07-2007 12:29 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC