Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga

Quote:
Takes longer to cut angles on side of bricks and fit than laying the row of bricks
Brett,

I hear ya! Any level of craftsmanship takes time but when you're fininshed you can sit back and enjoy the results of your efforts. Fortunately, you do get better and faster at it the further you go. For each phase of my build, by the time I felt I was getting pretty proficient, it was time to go onto the next phase...

I say take your time, stay patient, and don't waver from the level of quality you've come to expect of yourself. Your build is looking gutandtite, and I love your arch transition
John
Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Laborer

I cannot believe it has been 3 months since I last posted.

Well I won't hit my target of finishing by Christmas. May Easter

I have really noticed the difference in how fast the calcium silicate mortar goes off now it is summer in Queensland Australia. I have to work in the cool of the day - early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

The corner pieces of the arch were tricky and I used mouldable plastic which softens at 60-70 celcius to help get the shape right - happy with the outcome.

Will just keep plodding along in summer and might have more time once it starts cooling off closer to winter.

Have attached a few photos that I took before I started laying the 5th course today.

Brett
Attached Thumbnails
35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-024-inner-arch-complete.jpg   35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-025-inner-arch-inside   35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-026-4th-layer-complete.jpg   35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-027-inner-arch-inside   35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-028-arch-inner-arch  

Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Apprentice

Looking good...very clean. Some nice cuts too
Old 12-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Mate just take your time......you works real neat

Regards Dave
Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice job with the outer arch.

I dont think there is much advantage scuffing the bed face with a grinder, if the bricks were to come loose they still will even with the scuffing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:49 AM
Laborer

Can't believe it has been so long since I posted progress. Had a big break because of a carpal tunnel operation and also have another reno project on the go.

Finished the firebrick outer arch and the chimney transition. Pretty happy with how the transition worked out. Did some niffy cutting to create interlocking - the drop saw with diamond blade is the best.

Now working when I get a spare time here and there on completing the dome - 4 rows to go. Now it is getting cooler, it gives you more time to work with the calcium aluminate mortar.

Brett
Attached Thumbnails
35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-29-inner-arch-complete.jpg   35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-030-arches-chimney.jpg   35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-031-chimney.jpg  
Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 AM
Laborer

Some more pictures of my progress. Finished row 5.

Decided my indispensible tool was getting a bit hard to keep all bricks in the row symmetric and all at the right angle... I don't think I made the tool pivot as good as it needs to be.

I had originally planned to use a styrofoam support at the end anyway but thought I may have been able to get away without it. Anyway cleaned up inside and setup a shelf to support the styrofoam. Night before I cut the styrofoam and made an eight point template. Was pretty happy the way it fitted.

Starting now on row 6... feels like I am getting close now.

Brett
Attached Thumbnails
35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-032-outer-arch.jpg   35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-033-row-5-finished.jpg   35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-034-row-5-top   35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-035-ready-row-6   35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-036-styrofoam-support-top.jpg  

Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Master Builder

Brett, nice work and some detailed photos
It's helping me decide if I should do the half round arch or the straight side. Yours look like you will get a good fit with a door.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 AM
Laborer

Another row down - row 6 complete with one brick in place for row 7. Now it is getting interesting with the angle of the bricks !

I actually had a second brick layered up and must have knocked it when I covered up at the end of the day. Next morning it had moved and I had to knock the mortar off and will have to redo. Quite amazing, how hard the aluminate mortar gets in <12 hours.

Really feeling a lot closer to now.

Hopefully more pics soon.

Brett
Attached Thumbnails
35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga-pompeii-oven-037-row-6-complete.jpg  
Old 06-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks good!

Think it might be time to start cutting the bricks in thirds to get them fit in the way you need to?