Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   33" WFO South Australia build (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/33-wfo-south-australia-build-17653.html)

WhO 04-26-2012 08:05 AM

33" WFO South Australia build

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all.

Just over a week ago i cut down a tree in the backyard and was left with a bit of empty space... Initially before i decided to cut down the tree I wasn't sure what to do whether to re-do the garden or something else and eventually after finding this forum the only logical choice was that a Wood Fire Oven should become pride of place!

Initially it was just going to be a simple WFO and some paving, but lets just say i got carried away and decided to pour a bigger slab and incorporate a bbq and sink too :)

Hopefully some pizza wont be too far off!

Coloradoredusa 04-29-2012 06:56 PM

Re: 33" WFO South Australia build

Nice.. Its gonna look great!

Neil2 04-30-2012 03:22 PM

An irregular slab like that will more that likely crack. You can control the cracking by cutting a shallow construction joint from each "inside corner" to the outside.

This joint need only be about 1/2 inch deep.

Bacterium 05-01-2012 01:08 AM

Welcome fellow south Aussie looks like we are building at a similar time..".....cheers

nissanneill 05-01-2012 02:31 AM

Hi WhO and welcome aboard.
Nice to see yet another Aussie on the forum and especially a South Aussie.
There is all the information you could possibly want plus more here, so search, read and enjoy.
Where abouts in this wonderful state are you located. There are sure to be other keen members nearby.

Cheers.

Neill

WhO 09-04-2012 02:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well didn't i disappear for a while!

Lots of progress has been made since that first post, i'll let the photo's do most the talking :)

I finished the foundation and benchtop some months ago however work, study and other commitments meant i just couldn't spare any time to start on the WFO. Now things have free'd up a tiny bit i'm making the most of every spare scrap of time i have to get this project done and the pizza in the oven!

Neil2 - I didn't have any problems with slab cracks, i was planning on cutting construction joints however never got around to it! Guess i got lucky!

Damon - I have actually read through your first build thread and found it handy! Hope all is going well with the current project!

Neill - I'm in Magill so on the eastern side of Adelaide.

The benchtop is concrete which i mixed up myself with a slightly different mix to normal concrete (different aggregates and off white cement instead of grey) and i've ground it back and polished it and sealed it. In honesty it could probably be given more grinding to bring out some more shine but time as always is sparse so that'll do!

The Render in the photo also hasn't dried nor has it been painted yet thus the funny colour near the BBQ

Alrighty time for photos!

WhO 09-04-2012 02:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More Photos:

WhO 09-04-2012 02:58 AM

Progress on the WFO began the Saturday just gone. I managed to get the base and two courses done in the afternoon before it got too late to cut any more bricks.

Sunday was fathers day so I only managed to get another course done in the morning prior to heading out.

Yesterday and Today i spent a half day each chipping away at more courses to bring us to where we are now. I've ordered online a gym ball as i dont think i'll be able to fight gravity on the next course so i might see if that old trick does the job!

Unfortunately the weather is looking a bit average over the next couple of days and i'm busy for the next week so any more progress is likely going to have to wait for a little bit. The taste of pizza is so close yet so far away!

Also i had originally planned on making a 33" Oven however after careful measurement i decided i could squeeze in a 36" oven :)

Bacterium 09-04-2012 04:27 AM

WhO
good progress - look like you've got your underneath insulation covered.

I really like the bench top - I'm guessing that's HE Brighton Lite cement or similar. Been thinking of doing the bench/shelf area immediately around my dome with something like that.

Just wondering what you used to grind it?

WhO 09-04-2012 04:42 AM

Damon, I think it was Brighton Lite cement, i think i've got a bag outside somewhere so if i remember i'll check but i'm 90% sure it was.

To grind the concrete i bought a wet concrete polishing kit off e-bay in the USA. There was a seller who sold a 240v 50hz model with an Aust plug so i grabbed that. It came with all the grinding discs from 50grit through to 2 or 3 thousand. Took a bit of elbow grease but did the job quite well!

I'll rummage through my e-bay account shortly and see if i can find a link.

Cheers,
Rob