Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:05 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
While the reinforcing cladding discussion continues, I decided to complete my outer arch and chimney vent.

Actually it is more accurate to say: the first outer arch - because there is a decorative one that will be placed outside the first one. Knowing this I didn't worry too much about getting the mortar joints symmetrical and identical in width (as you can see!).

I am pretty pleased with the way the reveal ended up - it will make a nice seal for my door.

I ended up making the chimney vent a little smaller than planned because I wanted to have more of a 'flange' to rest the Duravent SS vent on. So the vent opening is about 6.5 inches by 6.5 inches square - still a lot bigger in area than the Duravent 6" diameter chimney.

I have keystones at the front and back of the vent opening and everything feels locked in solid. Also my angle iron buttresses seem to be working well.

Next step is completing the flat platform to rest the Duravent flange on top of.

Looking good. One thing about your vent opening. The restrictions on that as far as I know is that the vent opening has to be 15% of your oven opening and not the chimney diameter. Your opening is just over 42sqin. Looks like that's plenty big enough based on the size of your oven entrance.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Journeyman

good point K79, thanks!

I am about 25% of the oven opening. But then it narrows down to the 6" diameter SS pipe which is 28 square inches or 17% of the oven opening. My main concern was not constricting the flow before I hit the chimney pipe. I read on the forum that some others had issues with "constricted air flow."

I hope I got this right!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Journeyman

FIRST FIRE!!!!

I followed the discussion about reinforcing cladding and searched the site for all the comments I could find, and my conclusion is that there doesn't seem to be alignment on whether or not reinforcing is necessary.

I have a small oven (32") and I am also a little concerned about adding too much additional thermal mass. So I have decided for now not to add any further cladding.

My dome has been curing for two weeks.. so I thought what the heck I will make my first (small) fire!

I used oak kindling and I think it was a success! I got the internal dome temperature to around 200 degrees Fahrenheit which I think is about right for the first few curing fires.

But the best news is that the air flow and smoke ventilation looks perfect!

The fire had no problem getting oxygen and almost all the smoke went up and out of the chimney vent. Phew!!!

Still lots to do but this feels like another big milestone!

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-small-pile-kindling.jpg   32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-first-fire.jpg   32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-smoke-up-chimney.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Laborer

Kudos Neil!

Thanks for posting as I'm making entry arch forms as we speak and just want to know where I'm going before I get there. We can follow all the plans in the world but until we actually test the finished product we don't 'know' for sure. Looks great!

Enjoy-
Calisdad
Old 06-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

Gudday Neil
Congrats ! Isn't a bit of a thrill to see the oven breath. Your right , there is always a bit of doubt that this thing will work. But to see that smoke condence into a flat cloud and float out the entrance. It always amazes me how the ovens breaths. Go slow on the fires your oven dome would be dry witch is an advantage drying and curing are two distinct things.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Journeyman

Thanks Calisdad and Dave!!

I will go slow on the curing. I know the plans say to build fires to keep the temp at 300 degrees for quite a long time. I'm going to go a bit slower than that and build small fires every evening for at least a week. I had a massive oak tree fall down on my property a fews years ago - so I have enough firewood to last a very long time!
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-tree2.jpg  
Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congrats on the first fires. That is alot of "good" wood!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Journeyman

congrats on the fire !! Looks great.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Journeyman

Thanks K79!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Journeyman

REINFORCING

well, all this discussion about reinforcing got me a bit spooked.

So I decided to add a reinforcing strap around the soldier bricks.

I am 99% certain that this will serve no useful purpose at all. But it makes me feel a bit better that it is there! And it was easy and cheap because I had most of the parts.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-reinforcing-strap-1.jpg   32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-reinforcing-strap-2.jpg  

Tags
32 inch, northern california, pompeii, santa rosa