Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

Depends on what you want to measure. I only put in two and I talked to Karangi Dude (he put in a number of TCs) and based on what I wanted to measure (brick saturation). I would look at his build because he has alot to temperature data. Here is where I placed mine base on recommendations from KD.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/wo...tml#post133700 (Wood Fired Beehive in Utah)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Journeyman

After waiting a week for it to dry (it was a thin layer) I sealed the leveled surface with concrete sealer.

Next step is to place the Calcium Silicate Board (thanks gswarriors!) on top and lay the floor. I will lay the floor bricks on a thin, dry fireclay/sand mix.

QUESTION: I have heard that builders have issues with mortaring the soldier bricks to the CalSil Board because the board is so absorbent. I have seen a suggestion in this forum to "butter" (literally use butter or margarine) the board to prevent the CalSil soaking the water out of the mortar. What if I were to spray some high temperature (1200 degrees) paint on the edge (outer 5 inches only) of the board to slightly waterproof it before laying the solders? Anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-seal-level-top.jpg   32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-use-hi-temp-spray.jpg   32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-hi-temp-paint.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Journeyman

one of my concerns would be paint fumes but this thread seem to address that:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/o...umes-6213.html (Oven door design and paint fumes)

I think I am going to try it....

Neil
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
After waiting a week for it to dry (it was a thin layer) I sealed the leveled surface with concrete sealer.

Next step is to place the Calcium Silicate Board (thanks gswarriors!) on top and lay the floor. I will lay the floor bricks on a thin, dry fireclay/sand mix.

QUESTION: I have heard that builders have issues with mortaring the soldier bricks to the CalSil Board because the board is so absorbent. I have seen a suggestion in this forum to "butter" (literally use butter or margarine) the board to prevent the CalSil soaking the water out of the mortar. What if I were to spray some high temperature (1200 degrees) paint on the edge (outer 5 inches only) of the board to slightly waterproof it before laying the solders? Anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks
Neil
I wouldn't mortar anything to the insulation board.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Journeyman

Really? So I should just mortar the soldiers together but not put any mortar underneath?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Apprentice

My oven is floating on my insulation board. The insulation board is non-structural - so I'm not sure mortaring bricks to it would really do anything.

I don't recall seeing any oven built with bricks mortared to the insulation board.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Cheesesteak, that makes perfect sense!

In that case I guess the only thing I need to be careful of is that the mortar between the soldiers doesn't get sucked down into the CalSil board. I have noticed (thru dampening a scrap piece) that the board does not like moisture!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Journeyman

The board is cut and laid and the floor bricks are installed.

The board was flat enough that I didn't need to use any fireclay/sand to level the floor bricks so I placed them directly on top of the insulation board.

I hope that is OK!!

I decided for some reason to use half-height soldiers. They looked better than halves laying flat. It is only a 32" oven so I didn't want to use full height soldiers.

I am almost ready to mortar the first course! I am using the home-brew mortar mix. Never used it before so it might be interesting!
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-soldiers-not-mortared.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Master Builder

Looking Good......Like how your floor turned out..... Look forward to watching your progress.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Journeyman

Thanks KB!

I finished mortaring in the soldier course - which feels like a lot of progress to me! Finally something permanent! No turning back now

I plan to address the "arch tie-in problem" by using an almost full brick together with a thin sliver where the reveal is - see photo. I will still have a single long joint there but it is only at the reveal and structurally it seems the arch base will be much stronger and better tied into the dome. Comments/critique welcome!

(Photo doesn't show the actual sliver I will use but you get the idea)

First dome course is next!
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-soldiers-mortared.jpg   32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-arch-sliver.jpg  

Tags
32 inch, northern california, pompeii, santa rosa