Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

Keeping that active fire going during pizza cooking is vital. We find that encouraging guests to share whatever comes out is better than making individual pizzas to order.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
Pizza Party Success!

So last weekend we had about 70 people over...and I must have cooked around 30-40 pizzas...

... You can kind of see in the attached photo - there is a log at the back and one on each side. And by the end of the evening the pizza's were cooking just as fast as at the beginning: 2-3 minutes per pizza.

I was very happy and the guests enjoyed the pizza!...

I just came across your thread and "WOW" I am impressed! Nice job on the build and cooking pizzas for 70 people!!! Impressive!

Sounds like you got the pizzas down, now get yourself some big cast iron skillets, take some chicken legs & thighs (fattier the better!) toss the chicken along with some (a lot!) of garlic powder, fresh garlic, rosemary (it's free in NorCal) Kosher salt and some cracked pepper in a big ol stock pot (or anything they will fit in) for about an hour and a half.

Get your WFO up to about 550 and just place the chicken on the cast iron skillets (I got the regular big skillet and an even bigger one from Shackfords in Napa). Turn the chicken over once or twice with some tongs and when the chicken starts pulling away from the bone - start feeding your family, friends and have some teenagers around! I usually cook about 15 lbs at a time. It is amazing how juicy that chicken comes out of what should be too hot of an oven.

Great looking build! Again Congrats!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Journeyman

Thanks for the compliments and the chicken cooking advice!! You are right, we have load of Rosemary in our garden that grows like a weed!

When I started, if I had known there was a fellow FB'er so close I would have asked if I could come over and see your oven!

Your oven and fireplace look great!

Neil
Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
...When I started, if I had known there was a fellow FB'er so close I would have asked if I could come over and see your oven!...
You would have been more than welcome, though it probably wouldn't have been too inspiring, by the time that I was halfway through the dome, I was really wondering "why" I had started this project!! Once I got the dome completed and was able to use it, the project came to a grinding halt. I think I cooked in it for over a year without any enclosure or insulation!!

Also get one of those cast iron grates, makes for cooking awesome tri-tips, burgers and steaks!! Now I am HUNGRY!!!!

Sounds like you are really putting yours to good use. The nice thing is with our weather, year round use is not a problem.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 AM
Journeyman

True on the weather, Eric, especially this winter! We used the oven on New Year's Eve!

We do badly need rain however!

Neil
Old 01-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
True on the weather, Eric, especially this winter! We used the oven on New Year's Eve!

We do badly need rain however!

Neil
Yeah, we are still using ours anywhere from two to three times a week, doing a lot of dry rubbed tri-tips, hamburgers and WFO chicken (rosemary and garlic!).

And boy you are sure correct on us needing rain - just heard that they are now saying no rain at all for January!!! Makes it kind of hard to really enjoy a 70 degree January day.

Enjoy!

Old 07-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Journeyman

Last night I tried something a little different - I pushed the coals away from the center of the oven much earlier than I normally do - and then 'swabbed' the floor with a damp towel. When I started cooking the center of the floor was much cooler than it usually was - maybe 600 degrees. The walls and sides were still in the 800 degree range.

Amazing how much difference this makes to the pizzas! Not sure if it was better - they took a little longer to cook and the result was that the base was little softer and the top a little crispier. Of course it all tasted great like everything out of a WFO!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wink Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

G'day
How right you are... Everything tastes great out of a WFO!
How different our each ovens are . How different we must cook in them too. We share our experiences but truly pictures and long explanations do they really explain enough.
I've been lucky enough to have enjoyed pizza from at least 10 different ovens now. I really make it a point not to interfere and just enjoy.Yes of course I'll help out.. That's different cause its just helping.......
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Journeyman

FINALLY COMPLETE

Once my oven was functional last year I took a break and delayed the cosmetic final work.

This last weekend I finally got around to finishing it. I did a "stepped" top row of bricks and brick side surfaces. For Christmas my wife had given me a gift of some copper artwork (I like anything made of copper!) which I installed on either side of the oven.

Lastly, I installed 12 volts lights behind the copper artwork so that the side surfaces are lit up at night.
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-pizza-oven-final.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Apprentice

Looks great!

Your oven was a lot more "complete" prior to using than mine!

Love the looks of the used brick. Nice job!!

Tags
32 inch, northern california, pompeii, santa rosa