Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

Six days after firing and the interior temperature is still 165 degrees!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Journeyman

Is that awesome!! Good job.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Journeyman

Thanks K79! It's great to read everything on the forum and then see it all come to fruition eventually!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Journeyman

Labor Day Pizza Party...

went very well! We had 21 guests and cooked around 19 pizza's (I lost count!)

I started the fire at 3.00pm and we started cooking at around 6.30pm. For the last hour or so before cooking I stopped adding wood, pushed the coals to the sides, and let the temperature stabilize.

The oven was a little too hot for the first 2 pizzas. Pizzas 3-16 were perfect! Then the last few pizzas began to take a little longer to cook - but were still great!

In Mid-October we are having an even bigger party and I am going to try and cook about 50 pizzas. I will start the fire early and make sure my oven is well saturated with heat - and I will keep a lot of small pieces of oak at the ready to keep some small fires going at the sides and back.... Hope this will be enough to cook that many!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Laborer

Glad t hear your party went well, Neil.

I have had a couple of smaller gatherings and it has been a lot of fun. Everyone loves the pizza and they have been fascinated by the oven.

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Journeyman

This is my post number #250 where I graduate from being an apprentice! Yay!

In 2 weeks I will have my biggest pizza party so far - for my local bike club. I expect to cook around 50 pizza's over several hours so I will start firing well in advance in order to fully saturate the oven. I will also keep some small fires going on the sides in order to keep as much heat as possible in the oven! Wish me luck!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

boer,

Congrats, be sure to email FB via web support page for your pizza cutter. Be persistent and you will get the cutter............

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
boer,

Congrats, be sure to email FB via web support page for your pizza cutter. Be persistent and you will get the cutter............
Congrats also, I didn't get a pizza cutter, they sent me a dough cutter...... I'm still waiting on my pizza cutter. Can't wait to see what they send you.

Have any more pictures of the insulated door? I would like too see back side too.

Good luck on the party.

KB

Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Journeyman

Pizza Party Success!

So last weekend we had about 70 people over for our local bike club end-of-year party and I must have cooked around 30-40 pizzas. Not sure exactly - I lost count and they were being eaten as soon as they came out of the oven!

I was a little nervous because last time I tried to cook a lot of pizzas the floor of the oven got a little too cool.

So this time I started firing a little earlier (4 hours ahead of cooking) - but the thing that made the biggest difference is that I kept 3 small logs burning throughout. You can kind of see in the attached photo - there is a log at the back and one on each side. And by the end of the evening the pizza's were cooking just as fast as at the beginning: 2-3 minutes per pizza.

I was very happy and the guests enjoyed the pizza!

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't cook for 70 people with a 32 inch oven! You just can't serve everyone at the same time!

Thanks again to all of you on this forum who have given fantastic feedback along the way. It's been quite an experience and an adventure! I could not have been successful without this forum and all of you!
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-pizza-party-fire.jpg  
david s and Gulf like this.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nothing like seeing an oven in action to get others thinking about building their own.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Tags
32 inch, northern california, pompeii, santa rosa