Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
still over 250 degrees - which is a night and day improvement over the non-insulated oven! Now I wonder what will happen when I put a a door on it...?
You will be doing what I am doing. I made pizza on Saturday. I wanted to put a roast in to slow cook this morning - the oven is 300 degree's. I have the door off and I am hoping it will drop to something reasonable in a couple of hours. Heat management is difficult with these things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Journeyman

Thanks Les!

yes, I imagine it will take some time to 'learn' my oven and figure out the heat management. I consider myself somewhat of an expert with Weber charcoal grills - I can hold a constant temperature in my Weber to plus/minus 10 degrees for 8 hours! But I have been cooking on Webers for 25 years!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Journeyman

We had our first mini-pizza party on Saturday and it was a success! I heated the oven a bit more slowly than I have been doing and I got the top of the dome stabilized at about 950 degrees. The first pizza cooked too quickly but the remaining 5 were great. Very happy!

Then today I finally finished the flagstone patio in front of the oven. A bit of a challenge given that the temperatures this weekend were around 102 midday. (I know it was far worse for those of you in the southwest!) I also completed paving a separate area of the same flagstone in case you are wondering what the second picture is! Still need to pressure-wash and seal.

Any recommendations on a good sealer?

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-flagstone1.jpg   32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-flagstone2.jpg  
Xene likes this.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

Any recommendations on a good sealer?

Neil
Spill a lot of wine and olive oil. You did a fantastic job - looks awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Miracle makes a very good sealer and is reasonably priced. It looks like the stone was wet set, so you should wait at least a week before you seal it.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 07-01-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Journeyman

Thanks Les and Stonecutter

yes, it was wet set - so will definitely wait. I will look up the "Miracle" product.

But wine and olive oil sound good too!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Journeyman

very nice patio !! Nice when it all comes together isn't it.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Journeyman

Thanks K79!

yes it does! you and I tracked each other pretty well there for a while - nice job!

I am tired now and I think I am going to take a break from building things for a while (that will probably last about a month) and enjoy some pizza parties. I have a long list of people I need to invite over!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
I am tired now and I think I am going to take a break from building things for a while (that will probably last about a month) and enjoy some pizza parties. I have a long list of people I need to invite over!
You and me both !! Wife is already planning a flagstone walk around the house to the patio haha.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Journeyman

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DOOR MAKES!

I finally got around to building a door. I used two pieces of 16 gauge steel front and back, and then some 1 1/2 inch wide steel channel for the sides and floor. For the top piece I used a flat 1 1/2 inch bar that I curved to fit. Inside I put a piece of 1 1/2 inch ceramic fiber board that I had left over from the floor of my oven. My plan was to weld the whole thing closed - but I started using stainless steel sheet metal screws to "tack" it together - and found that they worked so well I may simply keep the screws. I used high temperature caulk to seals the cracks so that none of the insulation will leak out.

After cooking last night I put this door on. This morning, 13 hours later, the temperature of the walls and floor were still 550 degrees! Wow! Without the door I was down to 250 degrees after 12 hours.

Also the insulation in the door seems to work well - I can easily lift the door out with the handles without using gloves. The temperature of the front of the door is about 140 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-pizza-oven-door.jpg  

Tags
32 inch, northern california, pompeii, santa rosa