Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

If the stone you have isn't layered, and is more homogenous, you can pitch the face to create what is referred to as 'rock facing'. I'm guessing that Arizona Flagging is some kind of sandstone, so unless it contains a lot of iron oxide and is very hard, you should be able to do this with a sharp cold chisel.

Another thing you can do is a brushed finish. Use a wire wheel on a drill or angle grinder and soften the edges with it...creates a nice, worn look. Finish with fine grit wet sandpaper.

Finally, if you want a more clean look, get a dry cut blade for your circular saw, set straight edge so you can run your fence along, and put a crisp flat face on there. You can also angle your saw and shave off 1/8" - 3/4" ( there's those darn imperial numbers again) or just relieve the edge with sandpaper ( wet )

Just some ways you can finish stone with common tools most people have at home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
.......brick?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
If the stone you have isn't layered, and is more homogenous, you can pitch the face to create what is referred to as 'rock facing'. I'm guessing that Arizona Flagging is some kind of sandstone, so unless it contains a lot of iron oxide and is very hard, you should be able to do this with a sharp cold chisel.

Another thing you can do is a brushed finish. Use a wire wheel on a drill or angle grinder and soften the edges with it...creates a nice, worn look. Finish with fine grit wet sandpaper.

Finally, if you want a more clean look, get a dry cut blade for your circular saw, set straight edge so you can run your fence along, and put a crisp flat face on there. You can also angle your saw and shave off 1/8" - 3/4" ( there's those darn imperial numbers again) or just relieve the edge with sandpaper ( wet )

Just some ways you can finish stone with common tools most people have at home.
Thanks for the great suggestions on the flagstone. Yes, it is definitely some kind of sandstone and is not very hard at all. If I use this stone I think I would prefer to start with a clean edge and then relieve the edge as you suggested. I was looking at it and I think I could make a jig for my 10" HF tile/brick saw that would work.... I will look more closely as the weekend gets closer!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
.......brick?
Regards dave
Are you suggesting I make the table surfaces out of brick? I thought of that but I am getting to the point that if I have to pick up another brick I think I might throw it at something!
Les and cobblerdave like this.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Journeyman

Insulated and covered dome

I built the enclosure walls out of Hardibacker. Then insulated the dome with 4 inches of Ceramic Fiber blanket. Final insulation step was filling in all remaining spaces with Vermiculite.

Then put the roof piece on and mortared all the joints.

I will finish the enclosure with stucco mix and paint it to keep the moisture out. This enclosure will not be visible from the front so I am not too worried how it looks.

Tonight I fired the dome and I was extremely pleased to see that after 3 hours the difference in temperature between the middle of the roof (directly above the dome) and the ambient temperature was a mere 5 degrees! Happy!
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-insulation-oven.jpg   32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-oven-roof.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Journeyman

FIRST PIZZA!!

So I can finally report that after several dough experiments I finally made a real pizza! And we ate it for dinner - so that definitely makes it real (there was no backup meal on standby!)

I think I need to work on dough recipes next!

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-first-pizza-raw.jpg   32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-first-pizza-cooking.jpg   32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California-first-pizza-cooked.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice!! That should serve you well...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 32 Inch Pompeii in Northern California

Gudday
I like the comment about no backup meal avaliable
With any pizza dough recipes ... Just flour water salt and yeast at the temps of the pizza oven any adds such as milk or oil just burn.
I just use the forno recipe 325 water 500gm strong flour (Measure by weight) a tsp instant yeast 1/2 tsp salt. You'll get 4 x 200gm balls out of this.
Regards davec

My Build

My Door

Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Journeyman

Thanks Dave!

I will try the FB recipe. I agree - pretty simple recipe formula that hasn't changed in several thousand years. A lot of people still seem to have their own 'secret' pizza dough recipes however!

Neil
Old 06-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Journeyman

Insulation makes a difference!

I still have no door on my oven (that's almost made to the top of the list now!). However, 14 hours after firing the interior temperature was still over 250 degrees - which is a night and day improvement over the non-insulated oven! Now I wonder what will happen when I put a a door on it...?

Tags
32 inch, northern california, pompeii, santa rosa