Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms View Post
I found the new center of the oven today when I was putting the IT together. I've just gone out and checked it, the rest of the soldiers aren't bad - 1/8th" out at most, and both sides are equal distance from the center. It just seems that the front left hand corner is out of line with the rest by ~1".
That doesn't sound too bad. If you haven't mortared your arch yet, you might just knock loose a couple bricks at the front left to get it back in round. It is still easy to do that now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Laborer

I've got my first course cut to size. I was wondering about the brick staggering and the best way to do it. I've seen builds do their bricks staggered at 1" intervals, and I've seen builds do bricks staggered at half-brick intervals, is there any benefit to doing one over the other?
Attached Thumbnails
30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0656_1200x900.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

half brick intervals is the ideal. Staggering as much as possible makes the strongest dome. In practice, you will find that it's tough to maintain and that you have to be super mindful not to line up joints between courses.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just a tip from what I found during my build. As you move up in courses, consider only cutting a portion of the course then mortar in. Both taper and bevel angles have a way of changing slightly not matter how precise you cut the bricks. This way you can make adjustments to the angles as needed rather than having to adjust the whole "precut" brick course. The goal is to stagger the joints, whether it be 1/2 or 1/4 does not matter. Do your best work on the back half of the oven, this is the only area that is really seen after everything is all said and done.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 08-28-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Just a tip from what I found during my build. As you move up in courses, consider only cutting a portion of the course then mortar in. Both taper and bevel angles have a way of changing slightly not matter how precise you cut the bricks. This way you can make adjustments to the angles as needed rather than having to adjust the whole "precut" brick course. The goal is to stagger the joints, whether it be 1/2 or 1/4 does not matter. Do your best work on the back half of the oven, this is the only area that is really seen after everything is all said and done.
I'll definitely consider that for the next course.

I got the inner arch up and mortared. 3:1:1:1 is much nicer to work with than the premix. It got dark before I could take a picture. I'm happy with it, but its not particularly seamless compared to many on the forum. I'm more concerned with getting the oven finished before 2059 than complete perfection now
Old 08-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms View Post
I'll definitely consider that for the next course.

I got the inner arch up and mortared. 3:1:1:1 is much nicer to work with than the premix. It got dark before I could take a picture. I'm happy with it, but its not particularly seamless compared to many on the forum. I'm more concerned with getting the oven finished before 2059 than complete perfection now
I spent a lot of time, actually did it twice. And now i look at the oven and not only can no one else see my work, i can't even see it. You are progressing rapidly if you have the inner arch built and from what i have seen so far, your build is definitely a quality one. Glad to hear the homebrew is serving you well. Hang in there, it will be over before you know it.

Texman

Old 08-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Laborer

I got two courses done today. I decided not to alter the front corner soldiers which weren't in complete alignment, instead just placing the courses in the correct position and getting a 3/4" step at the front corner.

The courses went on pretty easily. The IT worked well but I need to rebuild it tomorrow because one of the pieces of plywood I used has started to separate.
Attached Thumbnails
30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0657_1200x900.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0659_1200x900.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0681_1200x900.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0685_1200x900.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0686_1200x900.jpg  

Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Master Builder

Smile Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

jms
That looks really good. And you are fast! I think you will be really happy with your oven. That arch looks great too. I am glad you tapered those and you will be too. keep up the good work.

Texman

Old 08-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Journeyman

Looking good, jms!

Don't feel bad about cutting some of the bricks smaller to get better angles and avoid lining up the joints. I have a small oven like you - which means the radii are much tighter than the big oven guys have. Smaller bricks segments make it a little easier to keep nice curves. I use 1/3 bricks from about row 6 and for the top layers I used 1/4 bricks
Old 08-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
Don't feel bad about cutting some of the bricks smaller to get better angles and avoid lining up the joints. I have a small oven like you - which means the radii are much tighter than the big oven guys have. Smaller bricks segments make it a little easier to keep nice curves. I use 1/3 bricks from about row 6 and for the top layers I used 1/4 bricks
I'm definitely going to look into doing this tomorrow, possibly 1/3 brick from course 4.

On another topic, what does everyone do with their offcuts and saw waste? From the floor+soldiers+courses1&2+inner arch I've got nearly a full bucket of wet firebrick dust and a nearly full 40litre tub of offcuts .
Attached Thumbnails
30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-8ii5ajg.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-2jp3nuh.jpg