Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

JMS,

As you mortar your bricks, use any surplus mortar and render the side of the CaSi board, this will protect it from getting damaged as you build your dome.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks to be a fantastic start, glad the jig worked for you. I am surprised that it has gotten the name "Chipster's jig" aw shucks....
Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Laborer

Once again the weather was wet and miserable for most of the day, but it dried up enough to do some work after dinner.

I dry laid the floor onto the Casil and found it to be nearly perfect without any fireclay/sand mix levelling. Only two blocks are a tiny bit out above the rest, and I didn't think it would be worth the time levelling the whole floor to bring it into level with only two of them. I don't think a peel would have any problems with the seams as it is, but I might still take a quick pass with an angle grinder to the ones which stick out to make it perfect.

I did make a mistake though, in my haste to get the first soldier course mortared while there was still light I completely forgot that I had to rotate the floor by a couple of degrees to make it straight at the front It should be interesting to try to fix. Although I left a big enough gap between the floor and soldiers that I think it should be doable without ruining my mortaring.

The mortaring was interesting. I've never really mortared anything before so I watched a couple of youtube videos beforehand. I'm using a premix fire cement mortar at the moment, I have two 25kg buckets. Its quite wet and sticky.

I followed utahbeehiver's advice to use excess mortar to protect the Casil. I got about half of it covered with the stuff I had left over.
Attached Thumbnails
30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0630_1200x900.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0631_1200x900.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0632_1200x900.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0634_1200x900.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks like a great start now it's time to go vertical....
Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think most of us have experience mortar creep. What dry fits really well get adjusted by the mortar joints. Just make your adjustments towards the front half of the dome. You really on see the back half as you look in a completed dome. Do your best work and bond on the back half of the dome.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms View Post
Once again the weather was wet and miserable for most of the day, but it dried up enough to do some work after dinner.

I did make a mistake though, in my haste to get the first soldier course mortared while there was still light I completely forgot that I had to rotate the floor by a couple of degrees to make it straight at the front It should be interesting to try to fix. Although I left a big enough gap between the floor and soldiers that I think it should be doable without ruining my mortaring.
i think i see what you are talking about-alignment with the mark on your calsil?
i think you can recut the bricks adjacent to your opening and fix that. It appears that you could swap those two bricks and maybe fix it. the one on the right looks a little larger and might fill that. the floor bricks can be recut if you want easily. I dont think you need to break any mortar.

Good start.

Tex

Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman View Post
i think i see what you are talking about-alignment with the mark on your calsil?
correct. I think if I remove a few of the larger floor blocks then I should be able to rotate the rest around by a few degrees to make it aligned, hopefully without damaging the mortared soldiers. If it won't work I'll just re-cut them. I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms View Post
correct. I think if I remove a few of the larger floor blocks then I should be able to rotate the rest around by a few degrees to make it aligned, hopefully without damaging the mortared soldiers. If it won't work I'll just re-cut them. I'll find out tomorrow.
Wrap a wide belt or strap around the entire first layer and attach to a long pole this will put the whole floor in compression and should allow you to rotate it.

If you get a crack or two you can pull those bricks and re mortar.

You may need to have someone holding the CalSil from moving or with another belt in the opposite direction to keep it from moving
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Apprentice

I think i go along with MrChipster. Dry fill the gaps in the floor with sand and fireclay, wrap compress the whole layer with a ratchet strap and simply spin it by the few degrees. If the whole thing moves including the calsil, which is quite likely, that's the lesser of the two evils, and will all be covered up with layers of insulation later anyway. The oven is set straight, the calsil won't matter. You might get a slight overhang of your arch bricks, but you're gonna have CB and Vermiculite handy to fill under if you need.

Its just a case of how happy you are to continue. You'll probably have many of these junctions during the build where you either carry on regardless after weighing up the pros and cons, or you strip back to attain near perfection. Many areas will also be covered up, or not fully seen, so only mechanical properties need to be considered.

Be sure in your own mind of the path you want to take, but like i've been told on here "don't overthink it" too. You can get bogged down in technicalities and imperfections, in what is a very simple and tolerant being.

Good luck with your build, you have made a great start.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Laborer

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I just pushed the floor around by the required amount with some well aimed hits with a rubber mallet. Then I recut the soldier on one side and wedged in a thin slice on the other to make it all link up again, "don't overthink it"

The second soldier course went on pretty simply. I've still got to plan my arch transition so I left those bricks out for now. Cleaning the excess mortar off of the inside face took longer than it did to put them down .

Tomorrow I'm going to put together an IT and plan out the inner arch.
Attached Thumbnails
30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0637_1200x900.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0640_1200x900.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0639_1200x900.jpg   30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-img_0641_1200x900.jpg