Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
What are you going to use as underfloor insulation?
100mm/~4" of calcium silicate board.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Sounds like a business opportunity buy the big box, repackage and sell them to small hardware stores. Next time use a small piece of Brick or stone for your rebar chairs when in a pinch.
Or you can strategically place the first few shovel fulls of wet concrete. Then pick the grid up to the level that you want .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Journeyman

Perfect! I assume that is two layers - so make sure you stagger the joints and/or lay the boards lengthwise and crosswise...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Perfect! I assume that is two layers - so make sure you stagger the joints and/or lay the boards lengthwise and crosswise...
Yep, two layers. I've had a mock up of my plans in sketchup so I can keep track of sizes and such.

I've got some slightly thicker bricks for the floor (76mm/3" vs 64mm/2.5" for elsewhere) so I can have some more thermal mass considering I'm not using vermicrete.

I'm still confused by the arch/dome transition. I've probably read through every search result on it and I think I'm more unsure than I was at the start .
Attached Thumbnails
30"/760mm Scotland Pompeii-plans2.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Journeyman

I'm not sure I understand your comment "more thermal mass considering I'm not using vermicrete" ??? Vermicrete is an insulator (not a great insulator but an OK insulator - your CalSil board is much better). Therefore it plays no role in the thermal mass of your oven. It's fine to have a bit more mass in the floor - it will take slightly longer to saturate it with heat but that shouldn't be an issue.

Wow, your sketchup skills are fantastic!

My only comment based on your drawing is that your arch appears to be a little too far forward. That is going to cause some weird gaps in your dome-arch transition near at the top of the arch. I wish that I had built my inner arch about an inch or two further back. In my opinion it is easier to fix transition issues when the dome is too far back rather than too far forward - unless you can design it perfectly before you start like some of the pro's on this site!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Laborer

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your comment "more thermal mass considering I'm not using vermicrete" ??? Vermicrete is an insulator (not a great insulator but an OK insulator - your CalSil board is much better). Therefore it plays no role in the thermal mass of your oven. It's fine to have a bit more mass in the floor - it will take slightly longer to saturate it with heat but that shouldn't be an issue.

My only comment based on your drawing is that your arch appears to be a little too far forward. That is going to cause some weird gaps in your dome-arch transition near at the top of the arch. I wish that I had built my inner arch about an inch or two further back. In my opinion it is easier to fix transition issues when the dome is too far back rather than too far forward - unless you can design it perfectly before you start like some of the pro's on this site!
I remember reading a post some time ago about how vermicrete wasn't a perfect insulator that it did add some mass to the oven. It probably doesn't matter.

The sketchup arch isn't 100%. I was trying to use it to pre-plan cuts but it was just adding to my confusion because of the way the program deals with intersecting objects.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

the taper arch process takes a while to grasp but well worth the effort. Look at Gianni Focaccia's thread. I also documented the tapered arch process too. A lot of new builders are doing tapered arches. Give a yell if i can help.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Apprentice

You can visualise it a whole lot more when you actually get to that section in the real world of bricks, mortar, dust and sore fingers!

Nice start!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
the taper arch process takes a while to grasp but well worth the effort. Look at Gianni Focaccia's thread. I also documented the tapered arch process too. A lot of new builders are doing tapered arches. Give a yell if i can help.
I second this technique, I used it on my oven and it worked very well. I think it provides the strongest and cleanest dome to arch transition available. It does take a little time to wrap your head around what is happening to the brick shapes but once you understand it it makes total sense.

Two things to remember regarding this type of arch, place your dome bricks next to the arch first on each course, they are the most difficult to cut properly and adjustments can be made to mating bricks to get the dome back int perfect position on the next few bricks if needed.

Second using a IT to build this type of arch is very helpful so think about building one.

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-06-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms View Post

I could have cut up an old brick paver to use as chairs, but it didn't occur to me until just after I had poured it
A better solution if you don't have any steel or concrete chairs, is simply to cut a few short lengths of plastic soil or waste pipe and use that. You can even cut your own seating grooves into it, and structurally it makes a better job than broken bricks, as the pipe will also be filled with concrete.
mrchipster likes this.