Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Wrapping Blanket On Dome/mixer Purchase

Eg, Ma and Gj:

I bought several (40x18x0.75 inches) blankets. Probably were eight blankets at all.
Those blankets where of fiberglass ones. If I will do that again, I will go to ceramic blankets (fiberglass goes to 250șC, ceramic to 1000șC).
I did the cladding and did cover it with the blankets. Then the wire mesh was wrapped and stretched out over the blankets using the bricks as weight (anything could did the trick).
The wire had two functions, maintain the blankets in place and give some surface to the vermiculite layer grab on it.
The layer in the last picture is the first vermiculite band as I mixed. See pictures below.
The mixture was 9:1 vermiculite/cement.
It is better if the dry vermiculite is first mixed with the dry cement and the water is slightly showered over the mixture, just to give some humidity to maintain the particles together.
I did all the work by my hands, no mixer. The layers or bands were arranged as mixed.
The last picture shows the first band. 24 hours to dry and the next band was set over the first one, and so on. Easy and funny work. The texture of the vermiculite layer is similar to a cork and sounds hollow when dry.
There is another technique in what the cement and the water are mixed, and after added to the vermiculite. It is writing up in some place in this site. Higher relationship from vermiculite to cement, could be something interesting to try.
A side comment is that the ceramic blanket is far expensive that the fiberglass one. It is possible (and better, I think) to use the fiberglass blanket OVER the vermiculite layer (the temperature will be lower and do not affect the fiberglass properties).
Let me know if I had totally answered your questions.
Funny work!

Luis
Attached Thumbnails
Wrapping Blanket On Dome/mixer Purchase-isolation9.jpg   Wrapping Blanket On Dome/mixer Purchase-isolation10.jpg   Wrapping Blanket On Dome/mixer Purchase-isolation11.jpg   Wrapping Blanket On Dome/mixer Purchase-isolation12.jpg   Wrapping Blanket On Dome/mixer Purchase-isolation14.jpg