Old 06-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: what type of concrete to use on the casa 2g80

Hi Kevin0422,

You need three coats of stucco for a traditional finish. Scratch and brown coat are your first two coats, then you can finish with, a finish coat (your third coat) or mortar, or stucco, with color. You can buy additives or you can buy a premix finish coat of waterproofer for the last coat.

Stucco is essentially mortar and, in fact, you can buy a mortar/stucco product, which is what I used to mortar the bricks AND stucco the sides of my enclosure. I only bought one product then painted over it. I used "Sakrete mortar/stucco" available from Home Depot.

It might seem a little overwhelming at first. You can use any or all of the products in your post. If it were me I'd buy a mortar/stucco product and do all three coats with it, then decide if you will tile sooner, or later. If you tile later you can add a waterproof color layer or a premixed waterproofer on the last coat until then.

There are options but the least expensive and most straight forward approach is to get stucco/mortar on the dome now, then decide how to seal it. Thinset, tile, grout, and silicone sealer will keep moisture penetration to a minimum. I don't see a point in adding a color to the last coat of stucco if you will tile the dome eventually. If you decide to tile much later then consider a white stucco finish with additives. That should hold you until you complete the project.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Serf

I'm having the same questions, and there aren't any answers in the places you suggest. There aren't any installation instructions that come with the oven that explain what to put on the outside. It's very vague. Can you be more specific... like instead of telling us where to get the information (which appears not to be there)... tell us what the information says
thank you
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

For the final coat you might want to consider a product called quickwall it is a fiber reinforced concrete, very tough and waterproof, it is expensive compared to stucco but goes on smooth. I used it to line my in ground pool in Minnesota so I can tell you it is very durable and completely waterproof. I also recommend using a latex or vinyl additive ton the mix to increase it's durability.

One tool I would buy because of the curved nature of some of the trowel work is a pool trowel, it is a flat trowel with full radius ends, this will allow you to make nice smooth internal curves where needed.

The other tool I would get is a sheet rocking tool that looks like a window squeege it has a soft rubber edge and a semi stiff back. This tool makes smooth surfaces easy to get.

Chip
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I find it most odd that your supplier has not provided this information. You should ask them and do what they say. If you take advice from someone unauthorized you will have no recourse on the product.