Old 08-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: West Virginia Casa90 Build

Is there a reason you don't want to do standard guttering? That set up you have now will catch leaves and create a potential fire hazard with the flue exit so close. I think the regulations call for 2 feet higher than the edge of your roof.

Last edited by david s; 08-17-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Laborer

The chimney pipe is 2' higher than the roof already so good to go from that perspective. The chimney pipe is only 2" from the edge of the roof so no room for standard guttering. There are a lot of trees around us but no trees that should drop many leaves on the pavilion although hard to tell that from the pictures. Most of the trees that are close to the pavilion are pines.

There is flashing available to direct water off to the side, I just don't have a piece handy that is the right color. The current set up is much taller than how I think I'll end up. The flashing I'm thinking of is only about 2" high and I've used it on other metal roof buildings without gutters to direct water away from a door. It seemed to work well but will have to see how it works out in this application.

I'll take a close look if we get some rain as called for tomorrow to see how it works. I appreciate you taking an interest in my build and the feedback!

FYI- heavy rains this morning and deflector seems to be doing a good job of moving water off to the sides of the oven.

Last edited by davemartin88; 08-18-2013 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Added update
Old 08-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Laborer

Default Re: West Virginia Casa90 Build, Final Curing Fire

Yesterday, did the last of the scheduled curing fires and let the fire size grow until the oven was reading near 800 degrees on the dome and nearly 600 degrees on the side walls. All seems okay so far. Decided that since I had a fire, might as well try to cook something.

Used some frozen pizza dough that I don't even remember which recipe or flour it was made with. Didn't have any sauce so we spread some olive oil, fesh garlic, cheese, a little salt & pepper and baked away. It was wonderful!

Here's a couple of pictures.

Cooked in about 3 minutes we ate two of these while sitting by the oven. My wife decided that a smore might be in order- no picture but the marshmallow was perfect in about 15 seconds and she thought it was the best ever!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Laborer

I spent the day applying tile to the outside of the oven. I've decided that covering a dome shaped, irregular object may not have been the best project for a first tiling experience, lol.

I used sheets of 2x2 travertine tumbled mosaic tiles. I had applied a concrete sealer to the stucco yesterday so started the tiles today. Pictures show most of the work complete. I still have a few odd shaped tiles to cut and place but the batch of tile cement I was using was starting to get dry so stopped for the day. Will mix a small batch tomorrow and finish up.

Plan is to apply a sealer to the tiles and after this dries, to use an epoxy grout to increase the weather proofing. Have some tile left over and will be able to use it to cover a counter that I want to add next to the oven.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I've decided that covering a dome shaped, irregular object may not have been the best project for a first tiling experience, lol.
Yea, round and square objects are not the best of friends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 AM
Apprentice

Dave,

Looks great! Did you cure your oven after stucco or during? It looks like you were finally able to get some nice & bright sunny days. I'm praying for a few days of sunshine myself.

Best,

Kenny
Old 08-26-2013, 04:08 AM
Laborer

I did most of the curing before the stucco went on but continued with the curing fires after it was applied. The outside of the oven didn't really get that hot- could still put my hand on it except at the very top of the dome. My last fires was pretty big and only a few very small cracks on the outside of the stucco which actually happened as it was drying without a fire.

We've had 3 days of clear weather (today is supposed to be the third) so hoping to finish the few tiles I need to cut this morning, then seal the tiles. Tile dealer says to seal the tiles before doing the grout to help keep the grout from getting stuck in the nooks and crannies of the tiles, guess it can't hurt.

Will probably have to give it a day or two before I can get to the epoxy so will keep the oven covered with a tarp until then. Going to the store today to make sure I have all that is needed to make some sauce!

Good luck on your build kkgator.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Laborer

Default Re: West Virginia Casa90 Build, I'm done!

Finished my oven this morning. Finished the tile and grouting and added a small counter next to the oven. We made our first real pizzas in the oven last night, will post some pictures in a different thread.

Here I am attaching the counter to one of the existing pavilion support poles- used the same rough white pine on the counter as was used in the rest of the pavilion- will need to seal all of this wood before winter.

Here a couple of pictures showing the oven and counter area.

Obviously, the tile on the counter is the same as the oven and decided to go that way since I had enough left. Used a 5/8" sheet of ply for the counter base, added a 1/4" hardi backing board, and then applied the tile to the backer.

Has been a lot of fun and I'm very satisfied with the kit from FB. Thanks to all who have commented along the way.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Laborer

Thought I'd share a follow up for others who might be looking at the Casa90 kit from FB. My oven has only been done for a few weeks but we're very happy with how it works, the size, and how it holds heat. For construction and insulation, I used only the material with the kit- the oven floor sits on the fiber board and the oven is covered with 3 layers of the fiber insulation that came with the kit. I added two thin coats of stucco and then the dome is covered with travertine tile and epoxy grout for weatherproofing.

When fired for about 75-90 minutes, the dome clears and pizzas cook in about 2 minutes or so. We've also cooked a couple of roasts and some vegetables with good success other than one silly experiment trying to cook a brisket overnight with the fire too hot. Needless to say, no amount of foil will protect meat from too much heat!

We cooked pizza on Sunday evening about 630pm and after the fire had turned to coals, I placed the door on the oven. The thermometer in the door read about 650 degrees. The next morning at about 630 am, still read 450 degrees, and on Tuesday morning, about 30 hours later, it was still showing over 100 degrees and the door was hot to the touch. Just trying to give an idea of how the heat held up, external temps here were in the 70's and going to about 50 degrees overnight with a light drizzle.

Although the cost of the kit was relatively high, the ease of construction and knowing it was a well tested product seems to have been very worthwhile. Long term, I'm sure the kit will hold up but for the most part, I think the longevity will depend on my building skills and how the outside of the dome holds up to the elements.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Apprentice

dave, beautiful set up in a beautiful setting. you shouldn't have any problem finding fire wood where you live.

enjoy your cooking.
jon