Old 07-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: West Virginia Casa90 Build

Real nice Dave,
One very beautiful place you have there. Are the kit ovens from FB normally set on blanket? I would have thought that they would be set on FB board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Master Builder

Hi Dave,

Is that Blanket or Fiber Board under your hearth? If its blanket why is it so roughed up? It should be board.

Last edited by Laurentius; 07-28-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Laborer

My fault for terminology, it's actually fiber board and got roughed up a bit as we positioned the 3 oven pieces. Sorry to mislead!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am even more-impressed the further you go into this project, absolutely beautiful and well thought out.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:24 AM
Laborer

I appreciate the fact that you took pictures. I recently purchased a composite oven to put on a trailer. Seeing your oven in stage s has helped me tremendously. I also thought that I would probably need an engine lift to lift the pieces onto the trailer. Keep the pictures coming! I absolutely love what you're doing!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the kind words kkgator. I think an engine lift would probably work, I was thinking about renting one of those when I realized I could get to the stand if I drove the tractor behind the fireplace. I think that two strong people could probably lift the pieces as well but we're kind of in the boonies here and didn't have anyone available to help. My wife is willing but isn't able to lift a lot of weight so really happy the tractor worked out.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words and encouragement too- we've had rain most every day lately but hoping to at least seal the 3 dome pieces together with the FB mortar tomorrow so. I also took a trip to Lowes today (about an hour away) to get some stucco but turns out they don't stock it there anymore even though their website indicated they did- will have to look for another supplier, most likely a concrete supply company early next week.

More pictures when I make some progress!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Laborer

Default Re: West Virginia Casa90 Build, Oven Sealed

Used the FB Refractory mortar to seal the 3 pieces of the oven together. Instructions call for about a 3" wide band of mortar about 3/4" thick- doesn't seem like a lot but think I'm close to the correct thickness. You also use mortar to seal around the base of the oven covering the fiber board. Here are some pictures as I went along- I've never used mortar before so was pretty slow- good news is this will be covered by blankets and stucco.

This is before I started.

This one shows the oven after I trimmed the fiber board around the bottom of the oven.

This picture shows progress on applying the mortar, note the professional tools, lol.

One more showing the top of the oven as I've applied the mortar. You can also see that I mounted the ring for the chimney. I originally was going to run the chimney through the roof of the pavilion but later was able to set the oven just outside the footprint. The double wall chimney pipe is way overkill but it's what I have and too expensive to ship to return so will go with it. There will be 8' of chimney on the oven.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Laborer

Here are a couple more pictures. This one shows the oven as it sits from behind the fireplace.

I played around a bit using some of the left over blocks from making the fireplace and stand to see how they would look as a decorative arch for the oven. My block cutting skills are not impressive but I like the look. More importantly, my wife thought it looked good. I'm hoping that as I stabilize and even out the gaps in the bricks with mortar, it will work out.

I have a 3" thick paver that is like what was used for the top of the stand that I can put in front of the oven for a landing area- this would be about 1" lower than the oven floor and not sure if that would be a problem or not. Might find a 1" thick piece of green granite that I could place there to bring the floor and landing area to the same height.

For those of you with ovens, do you think it would be a big issue to have the landing area lower (by 1") than the oven floor?

I also have about 1/2 of the bag of refractory mortar left, is there any reason I can't use this to mount the decorative arch, not in the heat path really but I have it on hand?

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I didn't find stucco mix locally but think I'm going to just mix it up from the basic ingredients. Found a stucco recipe in another post using 1 part portland, 1 part lime, 5-6 parts sand for the base coat and then 1 part portland, 2 parts lime, and 4-5 parts of fine sand for the finish coat. I have a small cement mixer so this seems easy enough.

Next steps are to set the arch and then put on two layers of fiber blanket. I picked up a roll of hardware cloth that I'll use to try to form the dome and as the base for the first stucco coat. Interesting project so far, can wait to start curing in a week or two!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 AM
Laborer

I wish that my project was at the stage that you are at! Thanks for the mortar shots! From what I read, the FB mortar sets up fairly fast. Did you have any issues when you applied your mortar or is there anything else that you would have done differently?

I'm waiting for my trailer to be finished before I start my oven build and the rain around here isn't helping either. July rainfall for Gainesville, FL 2012 just over 6" and this year we finished just over 20".

Thanks for posting!
Kenny
Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Laborer

It only took about 30 minutes or so to apply the mortar and I didn't notice that it was trying to set or get hard to work with. Part of the reason I only mixed half the bag was because I was unsure how long I would have to work with it but that made up a pretty good size batch to use anyway.

More when there is progress.