Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 AM
Laborer

Default Re: West Virginia Casa90 Build

Still not ready for the pizza oven but the outdoor area is moving along. Pavilion is framed, fireplace and firepit are nearly complete and most of the main area pavers are in. Contractor is back next week to put build the base for the pizza oven and then to put the roof on the pavilion. I think some of the plants will be going in through the rest of this week. Here's an overall view of the area.

Hopefully, only a couple of weeks away from being able to start the oven.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Master Builder

So, you're going to come back later and cut a hole in the roof for your chimney? I'm curious, was the oven an after thought?
Old 06-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Laborer

I plan to cut the hole in the roof after the oven is built. Roof is only 1x6 pine on inside and sheet metal on top. I bought double wall chimney pipe to be able to go through the roof. Contractor who is building the pavilion will come back if needed to "trim" out the chimney opening as it was easier that way. Not an afterthought but a lot of moving parts in the project. I'll build the oven myself on the base when the patio area is done and didn't want to have an opening that might not work if my oven building skills aren't what I hope they'll be. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:33 AM
Laborer

We're getting closer to being able to start building our oven. Contractors continued work this week on the patio area. On Monday or Tuesday, the concrete block for the oven stand will be set and then faced with the same stone that was used on the fireplace. Cap type pavers will be set on top, supported by angle iron across the concrete blocks to give extra strength. Once that is done, I'll be able to start the oven I hope!

This week, most of the pavers were placed along with some of the plants.

Here's a picture of the area as it progresses.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think it was smart not to designate a place for the chimney right now. A lot of times, as things develop on a project, changes are made (especially custom work) and you don't want to be stuck changing a roof panel because the oven works out better in another spot.

Nice looking set up you have going!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Laborer

Contractors laid the concrete block base for the pizza oven this morning. Here's a picture after most of the rows of block were completed.

Went with a total of 5 courses of block, right at 40" tall. With the top that will be added, the base should be right at about 43" above the patio. Started raining just as he finished so put a tarp over the top and didn't get any additional pictures. The blocks will be faced with the same stone as the fireplace is made from, about 4" thick so the entire concrete pad will be covered.

You can also see where landscape fabric has been placed under the areas where there will be either pea gravel for a walk way or river rock for cover. About half the area will be covered with river rock and the other half will have mulch.

Might be able to start some construction on the oven late next week and make this thread a bit more pizza oven focused!

Last edited by davemartin88; 07-09-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Laborer

Contractors are nearly done with the outside patio area. The roof was completed on the pavilion and the pavers are nearly complete. Here's a picture of the area.

The base for the pizza oven is nearly complete. Concrete blocks are in place and stone to match the fireplace is being added today, hopefully to finish tomorrow. There are 3" pavers for the counter top that are being laid on 3" angle iron to help support the oven.

I hope I'll be able to begin the oven construction in the next couple of weeks but happy with the look and layout so far.

Thanks for looking.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Laborer

Here are a couple of pictures of the 99% finished stand for the oven. Landscaper will finish up setting the pavers this week and then I'll be able to start the oven construction. Hope to open up the crate with the oven in the next day or two and will post a few pics before I get started with the build.

Here's the overall view.

Close up of the stand, pavers over the cinder block foundation. The top is 3" thick pavers laid on 3" wide, 1/4" thick angle iron for support.

Here's my helper checking out the area, our foster puppy that will be here a few more weeks.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 AM
Laborer

Finally got a chance to open the crate that the Casa90 arrived in from Forno Bravo. Everything was packed well and don't see any issues. Added a few pictures as I was opening things up. I won't be using the single wall pipe and chimney cap that came with the kit so will have to post an ad later. This is a 24" long piece of pipe (6" diameter) and the cap to go with it. I purchased 8' of the 6" DuraTech pipe and a cap to get the chimney up above the roof.

Does anyone know the approximate weight of each of the 3 pieces of the dome? I'll move the pallet to within about 25' of the oven site but will have to move it by hand from there. Wondering what we're in for in terms of weight.

It also looks like I'll be able to set the oven on the pad and let the chimney extend up just outside the edge of the pavilion roof. Won't have to cut through the roof this way yet the front of the oven will still be under the roof line once the arch is added- don't want wet pizza if baking in the rain or snow! Could have saved a bit of money by using the single wall pipe but the other pipe is here and it will still be "near" the edge of the roof.

Hope to start construction in the next few days- rain forecast for today but will see if things open up.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Laborer

Default Re: West Virginia Casa90 Build, Finally Started!

Was finally able to start installing our FB pizza oven. Here are some pictures. We put the insulation blanket and floor stones on the stand first- used sand to level the floor.

Then started used our small tractor to move the 3 dome pieces over to the stand. Had to go behind the existing fireplace on a bit of a slope but no real problems other than we removed one plant so it wouldn't get crushed. In the perfect world, we would have built the oven before putting down the patio floor but it didn't work out. Here are some shots of that process.

After getting the three dome pieces in place, did a trial run for the chimney, pipe will just get by the edge of the roof without having to make any cuts or changes to the metal roof. Picture shows one piece of chimney pipe temporarily set on top of the oven. Will have a second piece of pipe and a chimney cap to get well above the roof of the patio pavilion- probably could have gotten by with a 2 foot piece of pipe but only have a four foot section but better a bit high than too low from a smoke perspective.

Hope to be able to apply the refractory mortar to the dome to seal it and attach the chimney in the next day or two, will also think about a decorative arch- I have some stones that were left from the fireplace and stand so might give those a try. Leaning towards a stucco igloo for the final finish.