Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Shaping vermiculite concrete dome

How soon does the mixture start to cure? How much should I try to compact the mixture with my hands? So far I have seen very little signs of curing, I am used to concrete no longer being workable after less than an hour.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It should be firm in 24 hrs. You'll be able to easily crumble it away, but all you need is a surface that is sufficiently strong enough to render/stucco on to. Dry it out well before doing this though.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Laborer

I came across this thread while looking for information on using vermiculite concrete as a basecoat for stucco on my dome, and thought I would pass on this chart that I found on the Schundler Vermiculite Concrete site. It may be useful for those wondering (as I did) about different mixes and relative strength.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vermiculite Concrete.pdf (30.7 KB, 249 views)
videts38 likes this.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Master Builder

The most important value is missing, the "R" value. Hundreds of ovens have been successfully built on top of the 7 or 8:1 mix, as long as it is properly supported. The dome certainly is not structural. The vermicrete will crumble to the touch 24 hrs after. So be careful when you remove your forms. I gave it 3 or 4 days before messing with it. It firms up nicely and proceed. It's structural properties are not a concern here, insulation is the issue....the more the better.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is the screed I used for shaping the vermicrete layer (12:1 mix):
Attached Thumbnails
Shaping vermiculite concrete dome-oven-insulation.jpg  
Gulf, videts38 and sdsrn like this.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
Here is the screed I used for shaping the vermicrete layer (12:1 mix):
Neil2,
That's it!! I've been wondering where I got the idea for my template . I scoured builds for a couple of years before taking the plunge. I know that I read yours start to finish, as I did many others, only making mental notes.
Thanks Neil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Serf

Here's the rank beginner's question ... the install instructions on my modular kit say to wrap the insulation banket, cover in wire and then the finish coat ... NOTHING about a layer of vermiculite concrete???
Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You don't have to do a vermicrete layer over the blanket, but it evens out all the lumps and bumps where the blanket overlaps and folds. Your outer rendered shell would otherwise be overly thick to get back to a nice hemispherical form. Your common sense tells you the mix is too crumbly and it won't set, but wait 24 hrs and it will. Not really strong, but good enough to render up against. Adding more cement just reduces the insulation value.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Serf

THANK YOU David ...makes perfect sense. I am determined to get this right, thinking theres not going to be much of a 'do-over' space
Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Serf

Thank for the heads up David! This step was confusing me and I haven't even received my Casa yet.....