Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build

If you are asking about my oven, no I don't have pictures. Our computer hard drive crashed and the back up hard drive which supposedly was storing everything was also faulty so we lost the lot. Because I was worried about the possibility of the oven shaking to bits on the road, I cast the dome in one piece over a one piece cast floor. Bothe dome and floor are 2" thick.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 AM
Apprentice

So, the oven has been wrapped in metal lathe & has had stucco applied. Word to the wise, never, under any circumstances mess with the metal lathe w/out gloves. I had my glove off for 1 second and it resulted in 7 stitches which shut our build down for a day. Of course I'm accident prone when it comes to building anything!
Attached Thumbnails
Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build-img_0730.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 03:38 AM
Apprentice

Build process so far:
Forno Bravo oven delivered the beginning of July.
Trailer built by a local company (approx. 3 weeks).
I needed the 3 week trailer build because we had a soggy July.
Spent 5 days assembling oven pieces, insulation, mortar, lathe & stucco.
Weather & full time job allowing 1 day per week on oven. Late September & we are close. I started a small 300F for a few hours last Sat but will need at least 5 more at this temp to satisfy first cure requirement of 300F for min of 8 hrs. We have primer & paint left to do plus I'll have my father, who is a mason, come up with an interesting finish to the façade.

Every question that I've asked local tradesmen about the oven construction, they have replied, didn't they send directions with this? That seems to be the general theme. Yes directions, instructions. Detailed, now that is a matter of opinion. Sure, FB gave their email if we had any questions, and others have helped here in the forums, but I found every time that we were faced w/a decision to make or were unsure of ourselves (newbies remember), everyone made that statement. We had to make the best decision at the time. Only time will tell if we made the most educated decision/guess along the way which we can apply to another build if we so chose. Hindsight.

I appreciate everyone who contributes to this forum & thanks for all the advice so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build-img_0722.jpg   Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build-img_0723.jpg   Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build-img_0725.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 03:39 AM
Apprentice

Okay, could someone explain why some of my pics are always upside down?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build

Maybe you've been drinking and
A. you're holding the camera upside down, or

B. you fell over.

Last edited by david s; 09-23-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:47 AM
Apprentice

Drink? Me? Not at 4-5AMEST when I'm posting on the boards here, but definitely after various stages of this build. I usually take care of the business end before opening my first Amber Liquid & I am by no means a Bogan...lol
Old 09-24-2013, 03:49 AM
Apprentice

Wink Re: Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build

BTW David, is there a big craft beer scene down under or is everyone still drinking Fosters and eating at Outback Steakhouse?
mrchipster likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, the fancy boutique beers are big here. Home brewed cider for me though. 3 litres/ week for the last 10 years. Check out
Oztops - Home

When the little vials of yeast run out we just buy some all purpose wine yeast and the caps last for years until the seals eventually give up.

Last edited by david s; 09-24-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 AM
Apprentice

So we had a forecast for sun all week-end which prompted me to try and prime & paint "the beast". It looked a little cloudy on Sat and its a good thing I had the oven/trailer under tent because I had a steady drizzle all day! I did get 2 coats of primer & 1 coat of paint applied on Saturday with every intent of adding a second coat of paint on Sunday. Sunday AM I had to prep for an event so it wasn't until around noon when I decided instead of painting I should fire the oven up for another low temp burn. I had only had 3 hrs @ 300F & decided to put another 5 hours towards the 300F mark. This FB composite oven is great. The draw is excellent, but the low temp pushes a lot of smoke out. I can't wait to really open this thing up.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I always drive out the water prior to making the outer shell otherwise you risk cracking it because water is locked inside. You shouldn't seal the outside before fires for the same reason, plus your paint may bubble too from the moisture trapped underneath it. I suggest you take it really easy with the fires until the whole thing is quite dry.You can test this by throwing some plastic over the oven and seeing if water is still condensing under the plastic.

Last edited by david s; 10-01-2013 at 01:30 PM.