Peasant

Default Re: NH Oven Build

More pics from the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
NH Oven Build-dscf5375.jpg   NH Oven Build-dscf5384.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Serf

Starting look good. i am really impressed by finding that you are inspired by the this forums. by seeing its clear that you have a good hand of working. Nice work hope so you will finish it in good way.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Serf

Hi Benny,

It looks great do you have any photos of the next stage actually putting the refractory cement on top did you use wood templates for the sections?

many thanks rick
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenparka69 View Post
Hi Benny,

It looks great do you have any photos of the next stage actually putting the refractory cement on top did you use wood templates for the sections?

many thanks rick
Rick-I have yet to put refractory cement on the mold. The picture is of the inside mold with plaster. I still need to smooth it out, then build a form to "quarter" the mold off. That won't happen for a couple weekends due to prior obligations. I will post up my progress as it happens.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Peasant

We got to work on the oven this weekend. After the forms were set, I mixed my first ever batch of homebrew refractory. Used the 3:1:1:1 recipe. I applied it to the mold and found I needed to support it to keep it from slumping. I mixed it really dry with not too much water, but it needed some support til it set up. That was Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning I got up and mixed up another batch, and applied it to another 1/4 of the dome. By the afternoon, it had set up enough for me to get another batch for the back 1/4 of the dome. I mixed some polypropylene fibers with all my batches. I am pretty happy with the progress so far.
Attached Thumbnails
NH Oven Build-dscf5414.jpg   NH Oven Build-dscf5415.jpg   NH Oven Build-dscf5416.jpg   NH Oven Build-dscf5418.jpg  

Last edited by benny8; 05-12-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Two questions,
How thick did you make the dome and did you use stainless steel needle reinforcing?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Two questions,
How thick did you make the dome and did you use stainless steel needle reinforcing?
Dome was about 2" thick and I used polypropylene fibers in the mix.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good job. The polypropylene fibres give your refractory a measure of protection from blowing (rapid steam expansion), but they don't provide any additional reinforcing. I didn't use them in my first oven and it still fires ok. Interested to see how your dome performs over time.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Peasant

Thanks David. It has been a learning curve, thats for sure. But it has also been fun. Hopefully it holds up well, but if it doesn't I am not out a lot of money.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Peasant

Wednesday night I was in a panic. I was getting ready to cast the last big piece(oven opening), and I decided I should see if the other pieces would release from the form. I had used vegetable oil for a release agent, and the pieces did not want to release. After about an hour and some cursing, I finally was able to get them to release. Apparently, the form I made was of plaster. I sanded it down and painted a coat or two of Kilz primer on it. The cement acted like a suction on the primer. When it finally released it took the primer off with it. Luckily it peels off the inside of the oven like a skin. Anyway, today I took the day off from work to get some other projects finished around the house. When that was done, I cast the last pieces of the oven. I also picked up my stainless steel pieces for my flue and chimney. Good busy day today.
Attached Thumbnails
NH Oven Build-dscf5419.jpg   NH Oven Build-dscf5420.jpg   NH Oven Build-dscf5421.jpg   NH Oven Build-dscf5422.jpg