Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

Yeah thanks for the compliments.
It is certainly great having it assembled now and happy with those front bricks to cover the insulation it has worked well.
I just laid them there though, I will need to mortar them there.

Thanks for the advice about the top, I will look at tiling again. What about a coloured cement render?
Be aware though that I have two benchtops going on the other structures so there should be plenty of space

Any tips on cutting/shaping the dome insulation?

Also wondering the best way to render the dome after - as in what mix of materials.

I have been looking at Liteceeper's build in which he used 5:1 Exfoliators Litefill Premium Perlite and Brightonlite HE cement.
He has a nice finish on his though I was aiming for a more textured stucco finish.

Last edited by applor; 03-10-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
I don't know about colouring the render coat if its to be pearlite/ cement. It's hard enought to colour render anyway, there's enough baby poo and bright yellow domes around. There are soon excellent textured paints designed for cement and brick around, and they will give you a measure of waterproofing as well. You'll have to be patient though the new cement is best left a month till coating.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Master Builder

Hi Applor - I just used premium mortar pre-mix to render the dome over the vermicrete layer. It gave me a good finish and I finished the job with the Dulux Acrotex shown in the pics. I tried to get away from the baby shit yellow look (used that on the base) and am happy with the grey finish.

The final finish is applied with a very coarse roller, easy to do and the finish will cover any small imperfections in your stucco coat. This is the fine coat version and I believe that it comes in more highly textured versions. This has been on for 9 months or so and is holding up just fine. Behind the image is the dome in full sun. With orchids around nobody looks at the finish on the dome.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-imgp5621.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-imgp5620.jpg  
cobblerdave likes this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-11-2014, 01:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
On tiling again. You have already mention that you already have some large tiles. You'll probably be using them on the other benches as well so small tiles aren't going to look so good. Large tiles are a pain to cut into a dome due to the large concave cuts. So what I'm suggesting is to cut the tiles roughly into the ceramic insulation layer then render over them. Of course this can crack at the union and possibly allow water in. Let the cement in the render start to go off and the use a steel trowel to cut back at 45 degrees around the join. When this is dry you can the squeeze in a bead of paintable flexible joint compound for wheather proofing.

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 AM
Apprentice

Just a quick post as I have to go but the benches I have are indian red granite, one piece.
They are ready to go but don't want to install them until the oven is done so I don't accidentally damage them.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Apprentice

Hi Greenman thanks for your input. Your dome and bench meet together very neatly with those tiles. Looks great and very professional. You must have tiled to the insulation first and then render the dome oven the tiles to get it like that? (as dave suggested I do)

As for colour, I was thinking either sandstone or red coloured dome to match my block work or the red of the benchtops/pizza oven.
Would be even better if I could do red with black on the dome which would like great along with the benchtops (maybe).
I will post a picture tonight of the benchtops so you can guys see and give me some advice on what colour(s) to render the dome in - I don't think Grey will suit mine.

Dave - yeah I agree I think I will need to tile before I render the dome if I am going to get a nice finish. Unfortunately my front edge is a few cm too long to fit a single tile but I could maybe stagger those front blocks to fill in the space but that may look silly too - I am not sure.
My other option is to render the dome and the concrete top all at the same time using the cement render and then painting it all together.
What do you think will look better?

Also wondering how I should render around the front entry, whether I should do something like this:
http://www.woodfiredovens.com.au/wp-...s/6z1b0074.jpg
Or to just leave it so that pattern façade on the oven is the only thing showing.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Apprentice

Here is one of the two granite bench tops to be installed.
They are both the same.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1871.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Be careful with to many colours. Best way to describe it is .. That if you use more than three you can get the " circus effect " that is a lot of competing different colours.
The colours of your stands is one, it leads into the red of the bench tops ... Great.
But if you were to go to another colour for that element that stands above the line of the other colours it would stand out like a sore thumb.
If you keep that colour going with a bit of a change in tint ( addition of white) or tone ( addition of black ).
Now in saying that, 17 per cent of males are colour blind .. Fact ... Trust me I have taught colour change/ dye classes and of the boys I know that 1 in 5 are giving me blank looks.... So if if you are worried ask the wife.
In saying that Greenmans dome works well doesn't it. I would not have picked grey for the colour simply because it is to close to the colour of cement. But it works real well for a couple of reasons. Because it is both tint and tone ( white and black ) it tends to pick up the colour of the colour at it base so it never really clashes . Greenmans dome is as close to perfect in shape as you can get so you get it standing out as a strong upright element against the flat of the bench.
Check out the pic of that oven in the link... The hearth is the same level as the surrounding tile! Shiny tiles on horizontal, flat finish on vertical dome. Crisp and clean?
Anyway some ideas here for you to effect or reject...
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 03-12-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:26 AM
Master Builder

Hey Applor - I completed the dome, did the tiles and then put the finishing coat on the dome. The grout went up to the dome and I cut the final coat to that.

I have no experience of this stuff but a little care and some research will get the result.

I love that granite. Had a bit to do with it being cut in Far North Queensland years ago and it is truly one of natures beauties. Leaves marble standing in the shade.

The tiles were cut with the wet saw to fit the dome. Good luck with your build.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-12-2014, 04:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is some nice stone.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin